Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 40Thanks
    woodfired
    Light the fire...
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    Light the fire... 7th Nov 17 at 7:50 PM
    Hi All

After lurking for a few years and having been inspired by lots of the amazing stories on this board I have decided that its time to join in and post my (our) journey.

I am a mum of two (DD is 8, DS is 3) and have been married to my lovely DH for 10 years.
    We moved into our current house 4 years ago. We paid £150k for it and spent around £85k re-modelling and extending. Its now valued at around £300k with a mortgage of £135 900 outstanding, current term is 22 years 5 months. TBH the mortgage is only this high as we released £100k of equity to purchase a business 7 years ago. Said business is still going strong but there are changes afoot which I will explain later.

Anyway the plan is to attempt to pay of the mortgage and business loan (£83k) in 10 years so that we can both work part time in our little shop and enjoy a bit more freedom. I think this target is realistic but hope to shave even more off this timeframe with the help of you lovely people!

Thanks for reading
    Woodfired.x
Page 2
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 29th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    woodfired
    Day off today and quite productive it has been so far.

I had a massive to do list this morning and have managed to tick most of it , including my despised job of organising a new business phone/broadband contract (upgraded to fibre and £20 cheaper than the standard tariff we had reverted to on coming out of the contract) so good news there.

Popped into town this morning, bought some paintbrushes, banked DHs wage and did a food shop. Found 5% fat mince in the RTC section so bough 5 packs (I have never seen it RTC before and its the only mince we eat) and a beef brisket which have all been stashed in the freezer. I also picked up some frozen party food which seemed reasonable and will be handy in the freezer in the shed over Christmas in case of unexpected visitors / impromptu parties (the latter seem to happen often to us! )

Off now to collect littlest one for a dentist appointment Enjoy the rest of your day!
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 2nd Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    woodfired
    Our new mortgage payment came out at month end and the interest has reduced from around £245 per month to £205 which is good, we managed to fix for another 2 years just before the rate rise. We also saw our first regular overpayment of £300 leave the account so we are now paying over £700 off the capital amount which I am pleased with.
    I've paid another £500 into the TSB regular savers and a further £250 will go in to my HSBC RS later in the month. I also buy £75 worth of shares each month through Hargreaves Lansdown. So a total of £825 into savings each month plus a £300 overpayment. I just hope we haven't overstretched ourselves, it seems a lot when I write it like that!!
    Another quiet Saturday here, we had a boozy Christmas lunch with friends yesterday that set us back £70 so saving the pennies for the rest of the weekend. However, it was a lovely meal with great company and doesn't happen often so not too bothered by this spend. We are now watching Santa Claus The Movie and waiting for my baby Nephew to arrive so we can look after him for a couple of hours, we will have Steak from the freezer and HM chips with pepper sauce for dinner later.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 3rd Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    woodfired
    I have been reading all of the frugal tips on the old style money saving board and used one this morning I came downstairs and boiled the kettle for my coffee, DH was in the shower. As I poured it I realised I had boiled enough for probably 3 mugs and DHs would be cold by the time he got to it if I poured it now. So..... I rooted the flask out of the cupboard and filled it with the boiled water. DH thought I had gone mad but it made his coffee plus an extra one for me as I had finished the first by this time. I was VERY pleased with myself .

I have now lit the Esse which is heating the water for children's baths (having Sunday baths this morning as at carols around the tree in our village this evening). Will pop the joint of beef I got RTC earlier this week in to slow cook whilst it's lit which will be lovely for dinner before the carols this evening. Got to do some paperwork today as a VAT return is due by Thurs for the shop and I have hardly started (I hate that job - lots of work and a big bill to pay at the end of it - a thankless task). Also going to take the children for a long walk, they were bonkers yesterday, probably because we were cooped up inside for most of the day. Will tire them out good and proper today
    Have a nice Sunday everyone.
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 6th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    woodfired
    Had a very productive day off today. Completed and submitted my VAT return, rang lots of companies regarding the refurb we are planning for the business in the new year, tidied the house and bought the Christmas tree. I have left the tree outside though, it lives in the kitchen but the massive, thick york stone flags hold the heat from the underfloor heating so well that the room is never cool so my tree is dry and crispy within a week of being inside, even with watering! The children are not impressed but it is staying outside for as long as possible.
    I dug out some shortcrust pastry from the freezer with the plan of making some mince pies, however, when I rolled it out there was loads so managed to make a big caramelised onion and cheddar quiche with hm chips for tea AND 9 mince pies.
    I was so thrifty I even used the eggs for the quiche to egg wash the pie lids before adding them to my quiche mix , once again, pleased with myself I am quite enjoying the frugal aspect of this challenge, it is often little effort but hopefully the savings will add up if I can stick to it. Overall dinner was very cheap, no meat involved for us and the children had noodles with chicken (using up a tiny, lonely, chicken breast from the depths of the freezer!) plenty left over for tomorrows lunch or dinner too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,200Users online

Martin's Twitter