Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snaver
    • By snaver 7th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 30Thanks
    snaver
    Webhosting recommendations please
    • 7th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    Webhosting recommendations please 7th Nov 17 at 12:08 PM
    Can anyone recommend a good value webhosting company for small business sites and possibly e-commerce, with easy website builder tools please? I've been with 1&1 for years, who charge me hand over fist for products I don't use or haven't requested/consented to, so it's time to take my business elsewhere. Any help greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Nov 17, 6:54 PM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Nov 17, 6:54 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 6:54 PM
    I use 50webs. Must admit that i dont shop around though.. shhh...

Not sure how it compares pricewise, but i get to host 10 domains and i get free subdomains like forgotmyname (dotty )50webs (dotty) com
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 7th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 7th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    https://forumite.co.uk/uk-cheap-wordpress-hosting/
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 9th Nov 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 9th Nov 17, 10:23 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 10:23 PM
    http://tsohost.com http://vidahost.com
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 10th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    I use Krystal. Was with Ariotek for years but the owner had to sell up because he had a massive outage for a week or so and struggled to recover. He knew it would be the best for everyone if he sold to Krystal so he has. Now works there and there customer service has still been good since the move. All UK based.

https://krystal.co.uk/
    Last edited by joeypesci; 10-11-2017 at 3:29 PM. Reason: Corrected host name. Keep forgetting he'd changed to Ariotek from Fuzioned.
    • deskhelp
    • By deskhelp 17th Nov 17, 9:56 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    deskhelp
    • 17th Nov 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Nov 17, 9:56 AM
    For ecommerce better try cubecart , magento or woocommerce some good application which are available with most of the web hosting provider , for website hosting I can recommend : https://www.webhost.uk.net/ecommerce-hosting.html using them for years pretty good service at a good prize.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 17th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    I use 1&1 and have not been charged for any products i dont use and also find the prices pretty cheap.

Also use GoDaddy and also cant complain.

Just dont let yourself get upsold
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    • 13,265 Posts
    • 17,484 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:14 PM
    I use Falcoda. No complaints
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Monika333
    • By Monika333 28th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Monika333
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    I'm also looking for a good web hosting service as I want to build a website. I was lucky to get a wordpress theme with a discount on https://www.templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php, but I can't find a proper hosting for this purpose. So, thanks for sharing your experience, guys, I'll check your suggestions!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 28th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I'm also looking for a good web hosting service as I want to build a website. I was lucky to get a wordpress theme with a discount on https://www.templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php, but I can't find a proper hosting for this purpose. So, thanks for sharing your experience, guys, I'll check your suggestions!
    Originally posted by Monika333
    http://tsohost.com are good and their cPanel can install Wordpress for you on the fly. Or if you only want Wordpress hosting and nothing else they also sell optimised hosting just for that too - https://www.tsohost.com/wordpress-hosting

I've been using Tsohost for years.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 28th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,943 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I use bravehost and have done for years, Probably not the cheapest but certainly very reliable
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 28th Nov 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    I'm also "sort of" looking, in time for next summer. I have two accounts (one mine, one for a club) and they're with 1&1. I've had no problems, except that the basic hosting package went up to £72-odd per annum, which isn't terrible except when you compare it to how many club memberships it takes to pay for it, and to the idea that the site is really only for some basic publicity and domain-related email addresses.

For this year I transferred them to some different 1&1 accounts that I can get at 99p/month for the first year, but I suspect I may not be able to do that again next year, or rather it wouldn't be sensible to assume that I can.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 28th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I'm also "sort of" looking, in time for next summer. I have two accounts (one mine, one for a club) and they're with 1&1. I've had no problems, except that the basic hosting package went up to £72-odd per annum, which isn't terrible except when you compare it to how many club memberships it takes to pay for it, and to the idea that the site is really only for some basic publicity and domain-related email addresses.

For this year I transferred them to some different 1&1 accounts that I can get at 99p/month for the first year, but I suspect I may not be able to do that again next year, or rather it wouldn't be sensible to assume that I can.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot
    £72 is absurd for a couple of basic sites when there are good providers out there for around £25 a year.

1&1 and their pals just pray on the mass market who don't know any better. Most of that £72 will be paying for their glossy adverts in the tech magazines every week.
    • sekrapa
    • By sekrapa 28th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    sekrapa
    I use Vidahost, their basic starter pack should do you fine. £3.59 month or £34.80 per year. For this you can host up to 6 websites, 2gb storage, 25 mail boxes and you can install with 1 click Worpress, Magento, Opencart and Prestashop to name a few. Been with them a few years now and no problems so far.

Edit:
    Wrong link, now corrected.
    Last edited by sekrapa; 28-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 28th Nov 17, 10:48 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Hoogle
    Be careful what seems cheap may also be expensive in year 2 take ipage for example they are less than £15 for the 1st year but come to renew it and it is £130+ 1&1 is very reasonably priced these days they use to be very expensive, they may still have you on your old pricing terms if so ring them up and see if they will offer you better on threat of leaving.

Also depending on your hosting skills you can rent a dedicated server (Google Kimsufi Servers) on shared hosting or dedicated, essentially you get your own server from £5 upwards and you can host as many sites as you like on there. I do host all my clients on a more advanced one but I also use the server for hosting a game with 100+ users active at any one time but if you do not know how to install your own OS remotely with Cpanel or similar then I wouldnt take this step. I use to be a godaddy customer and all though I believe they are premium pricing they are more of a premium service so I still recommend them.
    Blue host
    Ehost etc are good for wham bam thank you mam cheap affordable hosting but maybe not so user friendly for those new to the world of hosting.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 28th Nov 17, 10:49 PM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    My 50 webs aint badly priced then, compared to vida.

Its one thing i dont shop around with. It works.

I get to host 10 sites, unlimited 50webs subdomains, unlimited storage and data.
    I think it was £39 last renewal. So not extortionate
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • The Ang
    • By The Ang 29th Nov 17, 1:14 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    The Ang
    I have moved hosting several times:
    Hostgator --> iPage--> Siteground--> A Small Orange, and finally, I love the recent one, A2.
    It is not easy to get the best. Usually, it works well in the first year, and then the next we just can asses. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,793Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter