Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluetoffee1878
    • By bluetoffee1878 7th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 266Posts
    • 471Thanks
    bluetoffee1878
    BPA data protection breach
    • 7th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    BPA data protection breach 7th Nov 17 at 11:05 AM
    I’m currently helping a friend of a friend with a BPA AOS Members PCN (don’t want to say which PPC at the moment)
    Advised the RK to complain to the BPA for various breaches of the COP which they did.

Also sent a version of the danielsan/LOC123 letter ref: PD and new protocol obligations to the debt collector who is now involved.

Lo and behold, the BPA found that their member has not breached any of their ‘rules’.

Unfortunately in the reply from the BPA they have attached a load of info from a case relating to a different person.

Info includes vehicle registration number, email address of the appellant, name and address of the appellant, their actual appeal, the appeal result and a copy of a letter indicating that there were equipment issues at that site and all PCN’s between certain dates should be cancelled.

Complaint to the ICO I think.

You could not make this stuff up.
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    • 53,942 Posts
    • 67,624 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK, but bluetoffee1878 is trustworthy.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 07-02-2018 at 9:18 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Julesiep
    • By Julesiep 7th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Julesiep
    OK, but bluetoffee1878 is trustworthy. If he helps you too, be grateful for the experience and genuine assistance!
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    The angry face is in relation to breach of data. Have messaged OP to find out if it is my information.
    JULES
    DMP:LBM May 2008 £50,970.68
    December 2013 £0
    thanks to Stepchange
    PPI reclaimed £13,157.58 thanks to MSE and Martin
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 53,942 Posts
    • 67,624 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Ah, now I understand, sorry! it read as though you were annoyed with bluetoffee1878 but I can see it's this bit that might be your data:

Unfortunately in the reply from the BPA they have attached a load of info from a case relating to a different person.

Info includes vehicle registration number, email address of the appellant, name and address of the appellant, their actual appeal, the appeal result and a copy of a letter indicating that there were equipment issues at that site and all PCN!!!8217;s between certain dates should be cancelled.
    Wow, you could claim for compensation for DPA breach, against the BPA. LOVE IT.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Julesiep
    • By Julesiep 7th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Julesiep
    Going back through my paperwork I would be surprised if this is not me this is an extract from my reply from BPA

“Park Watch advised that they were not made aware of the fault with the ANPR cameras at the site in question until 18th October 2017 – as soon as they were made aware, they cancelled any Parking Charges issued between 04th October and 20th October 2017.”

Who do you complain about the BPA to?
    JULES
    December 2013 £0
    thanks to Stepchange
    • logician
    • By logician 7th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    logician
    From how I read this he is helping a friend in a different location who has been sent details of a case relating to Weston Favell Centre.
    Originally posted by Julesiep

I am obviously not in possession of somebody else's personal data, and would dispose of it if I was.
    Originally posted by bluetoffee1878
    The angry face is in relation to breach of data. Have messaged OP to find out if it is my information.
    The OP says he is not in the possession of the personal data. The information went to his friend.

However, if you believe this is you, then certainly contact the BPA and alert them to this thread

email both steve clark and the AOS.

Gladstones also have on occasion sent details of different court claims to Defendants.
    Last edited by logician; 07-02-2018 at 9:35 PM.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    umm would it not be better (long thread) to check that the info was meant for you , something simple like what initial and second letter of surname
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 53,942 Posts
    • 67,624 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Going back through my paperwork I would be surprised if this is not me this is an extract from my reply from BPA

!!!8220;Park Watch advised that they were not made aware of the fault with the ANPR cameras at the site in question until 18th October 2017 !!!8211; as soon as they were made aware, they cancelled any Parking Charges issued between 04th October and 20th October 2017.!!!8221;

Who do you complain about the BPA to?
    steve.c@britishparking.co.uk and point him to this thread.

Firstly, as you have sent a pm, find out from bluetoffee1878 if this was your data his friend has, and which BPA staff member sent it in error. Get a copy of the email if possible.

Be ready to make a direct complaint to the ICO.

Whilst Steve Clark comes across as a decent human being, as does Gemma Dorans at the BPA, IMHO over the years, sadly, no-one else there does, and to divulge your data to a stranger (if it is your data) is worth an ICO complaint.

• Julesiep
    • By Julesiep 7th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Julesiep
    Thank you for the replies. I will wait to hear from bluetoffee1878. Hopefully they will be able to find out from the friend if it was my data or not. I am hoping it is not my data but not holding out much hope. Thanks again x
    JULES
    December 2013 £0
    thanks to Stepchange
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 10:16 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Thank you for the replies. I will wait to hear from bluetoffee1878. Hopefully they will be able to find out from the friend if it was my data or not. I am hoping it is not my data but not holding out much hope. Thanks again x

dunno , payback time for there attitude to customers
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • bluetoffee1878
    • By bluetoffee1878 8th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bluetoffee1878
    I've spoken to my friend, and the data sent to him was for a person with the initials JP.

If I was a betting man........

Julesiep I will reply to your PM
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 7,413 Thanks
    The Deep
    Natwest did the same with me, even phoned me up. I took it to the BO and got £150 compo.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 26,004 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Natwest did the same with me, even phoned me up. I took it to the BO and got £150 compo.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Small wonder you’re a rich man and live in a property large enough for two families (according to RightMove).
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 7,413 Thanks
    The Deep
    I have worked hard all my life in some gredful places and taken a lot of risks on the stock market and buying land and property. This is one of my mistakes.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-59620387.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 26,004 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Spectacular views from the property. Are you now ‘done’ with the Costa Blanca (once you’ve sold)?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • bluetoffee1878
    • By bluetoffee1878 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bluetoffee1878
    Here is the evidence from 'the horses mouth' so to speak that they sent the wrong attachment containing (quite a lot) of somebody else's personal data

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m59fjyd03k5zedd/BPA%20Email.JPG?dl=0
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 16,636 Posts
    • 26,004 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Here is the evidence from 'the horses mouth' so to speak that they sent the wrong attachment containing (quite a lot) of somebody else's personal data

For a minor error in one of their members’ car parks, it’s a £100 penalty.

What cost a major error on the part of the gatekeeper of Standards?

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 8th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 3,929 Thanks
    Johno100

And your friends ticket, has that been cancelled yet?
    • bluetoffee1878
    • By bluetoffee1878 8th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bluetoffee1878
    The last I heard was that they offered to cancel for £10. I'm not sure whether he took up that option.

He's more a colleague of a friend so not somebody I'm in regular contact with
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 40,938 Posts
    • 81,719 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    The last I heard was that they offered to cancel for £10. I'm not sure whether he took up that option.

He's more a colleague of a friend so not somebody I'm in regular contact with
    I would suggest your colleague asks for more than a tenner.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • bluetoffee1878
    • By bluetoffee1878 8th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bluetoffee1878
    That's what I suggested

For info, I am now in touch with the person who's data was breached and they seem very keen to pursue so watch this space.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,607Posts Today

8,265Users online

Martin's Twitter