Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 6th Nov 17, 8:48 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 22Thanks
    whambam
    Return Address Sending Letters
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:48 PM
    Return Address Sending Letters 6th Nov 17 at 8:48 PM
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it's optional or obligatory to include your return address on 1st class recorded delivery letters?

I do not normally include it, however some post offices insist and ask you for your address and postcode and house number isn't that a breach of personal details what if I do not want to disclose my address to the processor or anyone else in the post office who may overhear my address and write it down and send me spam?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 7th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 5,722 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it's optional or obligatory to include your return address on 1st class recorded delivery letters?

I do not normally include it, however some post offices insist and ask you for your address and postcode and house number isn't that a breach of personal details what if I do not want to disclose my address to the processor or anyone else in the post office who may overhear my address and write it down and send me spam?
    Originally posted by whambam
    It just so the item can be returned to you if it canít be delivered, whether it is refused, gets damaged, the address of recipient is incorrect or canít be read. By recorded I assume you mean signed for? It hasnít been called recorded delivery for quite a few years now.

Nobody is going to write down your details and sell them on.

Just put the building number and postcode I.e. 12 AS12 5DF, that is enough info for it to be returned to you but gives away nothing you could be concerned about.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 7th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    Hi,

Isn't that a bit tin foil hattery?

I mean, everyone who processes your mail, or delivers it to you already has your address and name, in order to deliver you mail. If someone in the RM wanted to steal these details, they don't need to wait for you to write them on a return address!
    • kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 7th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 20,419 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    • 7th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    I just put house number and postcode, tbh anyone can get your address if they have your street name, they can just go onto royal mail postcode finder and get the full address, so I don't see this as an issue
    POAMAYC 2018 #87 PD £0.00/£12,000
    POAMAYC 2017 #87 PD £10,380.18/£10,000
    POAMAYC 2016 #87 PD £7454.80/£7000

Mortgage (Start Date 01/04/09 ~ 30 year term, due to end 01/07/39)
    £104,409/£86,057.00 (as of 31/08/17) ~ 17.57% Paid

Survey Money 2017/£107.00 ~ 2018/£0.00

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 7th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4,904 Posts
    • 4,620 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    In almost all European countries and the US & Canada, and indeed throughout the world, it is common practice to put your return address on an envelope. It is so that it can be returned to you if there are problems, which makes a lot of sense.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • TeaRex
    • By TeaRex 7th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    TeaRex
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    Its always recommended but it is not mandatory.
    June 2015 Debt - £23643 // Nov 2017 Debt - £1950
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member - 584
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    whambam
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    I didn't know about just putting your house number and postcode which is good, however I feel intimidated/harassed when someone asks me what's your address is it a front door or flat? Also, my address details are on the letter anyway. Everyone now deems it standard you're sending drugs or illegal items nowadays that's the way i see it in the last 5 years especially sending parcels warning you will be prosecuted for sending items with a battery etc.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 32,692 Posts
    • 27,409 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    I didn't know about just putting your house number and postcode which is good, however I feel intimidated/harassed when someone asks me what's your address is it a front door or flat? Also, my address details are on the letter anyway. Everyone now deems it standard you're sending drugs or illegal items nowadays that's the way i see it in the last 5 years especially sending parcels warning you will be prosecuted for sending items with a battery etc.
    I think you need to calm down. Its not about drugs or 'illegal' items.
    Why intimidated about being asked main door/flat? Many folks are incapable if giving/using their correct address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter