Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 68Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter
    • 6th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter 6th Nov 17 at 6:24 PM
    BT has warned it's putting up some landline, broadband and BT Sport prices in January next year...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter to see if you're affected'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 5
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 29th Nov 17, 11:12 AM
    • 33,605 Posts
    • 17,504 Thanks
    Quentin
    I got an email and the email says just the line rental?
    Originally posted by primmer10590
    From the BT site:

If you only take landline services from us, the price of Line Rental isn't changing on 7 January.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56087/
    • Reue
    • By Reue 1st Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Reue
    "BT has confirmed that customers on introductory or promotional broadband deals won't see their monthly broadband prices go up during their fixed deal, but they will still be warned their prices will rise after the end of their minimum contract."

We are 6 months in on a 12 month special offer contract, however still received the price rise email. Can anyone confirm where BT have stated those on promotional deals won't be affected?
    • _Ritchie_
    • By _Ritchie_ 1st Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    _Ritchie_
    BT Terms
    BT call centres are not aware of their own terms - you need to educate them. After 1 hour long phone call, the agent and agent's manager were not aware of their own terms. Even after reading it to them and giving them link where they could read it themselves they still wouldn't give in. It took further discussion (arguing) for me to convince them that customers can leave without the BT mobile plan increasing in price. Finally they gave in; "you are absolutely correct". They made a note on my account of the term and said they would educate the whole of the Canterbury (Kent) call centre. I still suspect I will be charged the extra £5 after leaving.

I informed Ofcom today of their practise of giving wrong information to customers who then make decisions to stay based off of it. I was told this exact same thing on their previous price increase. I am transferring to EE as they have better deal (which BT couldn't match). The funny thing is BT and EE are both part of BT Group Plc

I recommend anyone who has been given wrong information to complain to Ofcom: ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/contact-us as they will only act when enough people complain. Obviously very few people do.

BTW I was 6 months into promotional deal contract and got price rise email.
    Last edited by _Ritchie_; 01-12-2017 at 5:01 PM. Reason: whoops
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 2nd Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Simon7685
    I signed up to BT in June this year, 12 month contract Infinity 1 (35 meg) basic TV with BT sport and a mobile deal as well.
    Broadband and line rental £28.99 per month, sport £3.50 a month and mobile £10 a month.

They have already upgraded my speed to 55 meg which is the fastest our line supports and I am really happy with it, much better than any we have had before.

I have been given the offer of keeping my current prices if I recontract for 18 months, or leaving without penalty or accepting the Jan price increase.

Is it worth ringing up to try and get a better recontracting deal?
    • slipd
    • By slipd 2nd Dec 17, 3:00 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    slipd
    I signed up to BT in June this year, 12 month contract Infinity 1 (35 meg) basic TV with BT sport and a mobile deal as well.
    Broadband and line rental £28.99 per month, sport £3.50 a month and mobile £10 a month.

They have already upgraded my speed to 55 meg which is the fastest our line supports and I am really happy with it, much better than any we have had before.

I have been given the offer of keeping my current prices if I recontract for 18 months, or leaving without penalty or accepting the Jan price increase.

Is it worth ringing up to try and get a better recontracting deal?
    Originally posted by Simon7685
    Similar boat to the above. Incidentally, is there an accurate way of checking when your contract started? Is it on the BT website?

I'm paying £37.98 for 66MB unlimited fibre and calls. What should do? Any advice
    • deutsch
    • By deutsch 2nd Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    deutsch
    Joined in April on 12 month contract. Got £200 prepaid card and £161.60 cashback so got it down to £4.97 / month with the BT costs (Thanks HotUKDeals). Even kept my home number so very happy (lost connection whilst they transferred to the old number as I already had BT and signed up with another family member's name as the account holder), but overall the process was smooth. Fibre itself has been very reliable.

Received price notification email 1st December. Retention deal in the email is £28.99 for another 18 months.

Lazy and easy way it so just accept, but I know I can do better (not as good as last time though). Past few months have been very satisfactory.

Reading through this thread, I thought it would have been full of haggling / what was offered by BT.

Found a thread that I was looking for...
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677278

Ignore me
    Last edited by deutsch; 02-12-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Found a thread
    • cannonballdaze
    • By cannonballdaze 3rd Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    cannonballdaze
    Cancel BT Broadband without penalty and keep "free" prepaid £150
    Hi, had an email from BT telling me my broadband etc. price is going up by £2 a month in Jan. I took out the 12 month contract in May with a "free" £150 prepaid credit card.

As they've increased prices, can I cancel and find another supplier without paying back the £150 ?

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers. Joe
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 33,605 Posts
    • 17,504 Thanks
    Quentin

As they've increased prices, can I cancel and find another supplier without paying back the £150 ?
    Originally posted by cannonballdaze
    Unless there were any strings regarding any "clawback" attached to the free gift then yes
    • slipd
    • By slipd 3rd Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    slipd
    Hi, had an email from BT telling me my broadband etc. price is going up by £2 a month in Jan. I took out the 12 month contract in May with a "free" £150 prepaid credit card.

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers. Joe
    Originally posted by cannonballdaze
    Must have been a similar deal as what I'm on? Although I seem to remember getting a £200 card and about £160 from TCB

Anyway, afaik, if we leave in January we have to give the YouView box back - assuming you took one? I did and straight on eBay it went, so I'll have to see. No idea what they'd sting me for that?

Quite tempted to call Sky and see what they'll do for me as an existing customer? Nothing probably... really not liking the thoughts of going back to an 18 month contact but I guess I've got no choice.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 4th Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    boatman
    Must have been a similar deal as what I'm on? Although I seem to remember getting a £200 card and about £160 from TCB

Anyway, afaik, if we leave in January we have to give the YouView box back - assuming you took one? I did and straight on eBay it went, so I'll have to see. No idea what they'd sting me for that?

Quite tempted to call Sky and see what they'll do for me as an existing customer? Nothing probably... really not liking the thoughts of going back to an 18 month contact but I guess I've got no choice.
    Originally posted by slipd
    If you leave because of the price increase, you do not need to return the equipment.
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Returning-equipment-after-ceasing-BT-TV/td-p/1715517
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 4th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 18,383 Thanks
    mije1983
    Originally posted by slipd
    You will only be tied into the 18 months if they don't raise prices. And that's very unlikely to actually happen. Pretty much every ISP raises their prices at some point during the year.

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As above .
    Last BT price rise was April 2017 .
    Plus if price rise means i pay less than current year lovely jubbly .
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    You will only be tied into the 18 months if they don't raise prices. And that's very unlikely to actually happen. Pretty much every ISP raises their prices at some point during the year.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Is there anywhere which collects price rise data? It would help when predicting who was going to increase their prices in the next 6 months.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Dec 17, 8:21 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 18,383 Thanks
    mije1983
    Is there anywhere which collects price rise data? It would help when predicting who was going to increase their prices in the next 6 months.
    Originally posted by phillw
    Not that I know of.

Off the top of my head I believe Sky raised their prices in April-ish this year.

Probably lots of info if you google 'your chosen ISP' and 'price rise' though.

• Haventgotaclue
    • By Haventgotaclue 6th Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Haventgotaclue
    I wonder if anyone knows.
    I signed up to BT TV in October this year, already a bt customer for broadband and phone. I received the price increase letter today and although the BT TV price won't increase, am I still able to cancel it all?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    I wonder if anyone knows.
    I signed up to BT TV in October this year, already a bt customer for broadband and phone. I received the price increase letter today and although the BT TV price won't increase, am I still able to cancel it all?
    Originally posted by Haventgotaclue

Yes you are able to cancel it all .
    Though if you phone BT as per the email to inform them you are leaving due to price rise you may get a better BB deal .
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 6th Dec 17, 2:00 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    downshifted
    Does this mean I can move from BT?
    I renewed our line rental, free evening and weekend calls, and fibre broadband back in November.

Iíve had my letter today and the only increases mentioned on the back are phone charges, eg calls to land lines, mobiles and international calls.

Is this sufficient to justify cancelling the whole package, which is more expensive than plusnet are offering?

Thanks for any advice
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 33,605 Posts
    • 17,504 Thanks
    Quentin
    Yes .
    • phillw
    • By phillw 6th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    I’ve had my letter today and the only increases mentioned on the back are phone charges, eg calls to land lines, mobiles and international calls.

Is this sufficient to justify cancelling the whole package, which is more expensive than plusnet are offering?
    Originally posted by downshifted
    Yes, even if they increased just the international calls and you never have or never intend to make an international call.

Off the top of my head I believe Sky raised their prices in April-ish this year.

Probably lots of info if you google 'your chosen ISP' and 'price rise' though.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Looks like Sky announced a price rise in January, that took effect in March. It would be much easier to start with the one that put up it's prices the longest ago & then figure out the financials.
    Last edited by phillw; 06-12-2017 at 4:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

450Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin