Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 64Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter
    • 6th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter 6th Nov 17 at 6:24 PM
    BT has warned it's putting up some landline, broadband and BT Sport prices in January next year...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter to see if you're affected'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 4
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes, but surely the Ofcom ruling overrides that?
    Originally posted by Mister G

As the question was
    <What is the best way to log a complaint about BT over this issue? >
    • greenaliens
    • By greenaliens 18th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    greenaliens
    BT Compliant
    Are you saying that BT are correct in what they advised me?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 18th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    As the question was
    <What is the best way to log a complaint about BT over this issue? >
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Sorry, I assumed that your statement of

"But its in the terms and conditions you signed up to"

referred to the refund of line rental, rather than the complaints procedure.

Referring to greenalien's last post, NO, what BT told you is wrong. They have to refund any outstanding line rental
    • greenaliens
    • By greenaliens 18th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    greenaliens
    I have written to BT and will post their reply.
    • ukwmo
    • By ukwmo 18th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    ukwmo
    Since telling them that Iím leaving, BT have phoned the house a few times but Iíve been at work. Trust my luck, I was in all day today and they havenít called. Kinda hoping they might call and cut me a deal to stay with BT. Oh well.

Only they and one friend have called my landline in the last week. But my mobile phone buzzes all day with texts, WhatsAppís, FB messages and snapchats. Amazing the way our phone usage has changed. I remember when we had to wait nearly six months to have the landline installed in the mid 70ís, such a long wait was pretty typical of the GPO back then. Itís the same sagging telegraph wires weíre still using now, we mustíve paid for that wire a hundred times over the years !

Lots of Black Friday deals now. Keep shopping around folks
    • ukwmo
    • By ukwmo 19th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    ukwmo
    Take the above post back. BT have just called.

They've matched the Plusnet deal @ £24.99 per month, unlimited fibre (inc line rental) for 12 months. Also the price rise in January won't apply to me. So I'm staying with BT and have cancelled the Plusnet order (Plusnet's live chat facility online is very good btw). So I'm a happy camper.

Just a shame that you've got to go through this rigmarole every year. Hope everyone else has a good outcome with this.
    • miller
    • By miller 20th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    miller
    From the other side of the fence, Plusnet have just sent a leaving email to me stating Line Rental Saver monies will not be refunded (out of contract on it anyway).

...it's all BT Group anyway though.

Reminds me a bit of the energy suppliers who still refer to exit fees in written communications when within the fee-free switching window.
    • greenaliens
    • By greenaliens 20th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    greenaliens
    BT Reply
    This was the reply I received from BT:-

"I'm really sorry you were given incorrect information when you first contacted us about the price increase. This matter will be investigated, and any training issues required will be addressed.

Just to confirm, if you wish to cancel your BT services due to a price change (and let us know within 30 days of receiving your price change notification) we will refund your line rental paid in advance with the Line Rental Saver offer. You'd get a refund of the remaining months of your Line Rental Saver, and this would automatically appear on the final bill."
    • phillw
    • By phillw 20th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    phillw
    From the other side of the fence, Plusnet have just sent a leaving email to me stating Line Rental Saver monies will not be refunded (out of contract on it anyway).
    Originally posted by miller
    When I left plusnet they told me that they never under any circumstances refund up front line rental, although when I mentioned ofcom they spoke to their supervisor and it turns out they do.
    • stulaunch
    • By stulaunch 20th Nov 17, 8:02 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    stulaunch
    Not had my price hike email yet, but going to leave.
    I have just been on chat, they told me I would lose £5 discount. I told them they were wrong, but couldn't find the T&C's to quote to them.

I had customer option team call me after chat. He said also that I would lose discount and that he had had it confirmed to him by his manager!

Anyway he said I will be free to leave sim only plan anyway because of the price rise. Which suits me better.

But just as a word of warning, he said that you must ask for a note to be put on sim only account when asking for a pac code because the system will automatically issue a termination charge. going to be fun, again, I believe
    • miller
    • By miller 21st Nov 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    miller
    When I left plusnet they told me that they never under any circumstances refund up front line rental, although when I mentioned ofcom they spoke to their supervisor and it turns out they do.
    Originally posted by phillw
    It would be nice if OFCOM sorted out these "misunderstandings", I suppose we should be grateful they still react to the mention of them.

I gave them 2 bites of the cherry to come up with a realistic renewal offer, their termination email says to get in touch to see what they can do, but I wont be offering them a third opportunity.

They seem to have sharpened the attitude their end; having said that others on the boards have had better haggling success, even matching new customer offers, but I think it can depend how long you've been with them.
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 24th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Mogley
    I'm sat looking at all the Black Friday offers that easily beat my current BT broadband and tv contract and I can't do anything about it yet (other than paying cancellation charges).
    The best I've seen so far that suits my requirement is Talk Talk Faster broadband with TVplus and kids channels for £33.50/month (no set up or box fee). This comes with £120 cashback on TCB.

Hopefully by the time my BT notification letter has come they will be begging me to stay as they will have lost a load of custom. Then I will not feel so bad about missing out on the current good deals.
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <they will be begging me to stay as they will have lost a load of custom>

No that does not happen as the majority thankfully are not money savers .
    • HardSpend
    • By HardSpend 25th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    HardSpend
    BT are horrible, all this money to fund footballers wages? Broadband has gone up 19% since I took out my 2 year contract Aug 2016.

My bill will be £18.99 LR, £31.50 unlimited infinity 2, £10 TV entertainment max.. is this par for the course?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    BT are horrible, all this money to fund footballers wages? Broadband has gone up 19% since I took out my 2 year contract Aug 2016.

My bill will be £18.99 LR, £31.50 unlimited infinity 2, £10 TV entertainment max.. is this par for the course?
    Originally posted by HardSpend

Price depends upon your negotiations .
    If you believe BT are orribl;e then don't do business with them .
    • HardSpend
    • By HardSpend 26th Nov 17, 2:29 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    HardSpend
    Price depends upon your negotiations .
    If you believe BT are orribl;e then don't do business with them .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I was asking if it's par for the course what I'm already paying as understanding what prices the other side of the table has offered can help negotiations
    • primmer10590
    • By primmer10590 28th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    primmer10590
    So, I'm still in contract for my fibre BB. I have just received the letter detailing the line rental charge increases and saying I can leave without penalty.

But what about my fibre BB? I want to get rid of that too, I can see BT saying they're not increasing the fibre charges so that's not free to end. But also, the fibre BB contract states if they can't provide a service then you can leave for free, surely if I don't have a BT phone line that means they can't provide the service?

Help?
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 28th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    mac.d
    Line rental is about the only thing that's not going up is it not? Fibre broadband is going up by £2.50. Did you look at the back of your letter where it details the prices you pay that are going up?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 29th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    phillw
    I can see BT saying they're not increasing the fibre charges so that's not free to end.
    Originally posted by primmer10590
    Ofcom rules are supposed to cover bundled services.

The £5 a month off your BT mobile bill if you also have a BT land line is a more interesting case. I'm going to argue that if I cancel my land line without penalty and they remove the £5 a month discount, then that is a mid contract price rise and I should be able to leave that without penalty.

Although I haven't entirely figured out what I'd switch to yet.
    Last edited by phillw; 29-11-2017 at 9:23 AM.
    • primmer10590
    • By primmer10590 29th Nov 17, 9:33 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    primmer10590
    I got an email and the email says just the line rental?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter