Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 12,506Posts
    • 35,687Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 295
    • Anon
    • By Anon 1st Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 11,863 Posts
    • 135,994 Thanks
    Anon
    A puzzle for you

A piece of string is attached to the corner of a cube. The cube is suspended by the string and lowered into a bucket of water so that exactly half of the cube is submerged. What shape is made by the intersection of the cube with the surface of the water?
    Originally posted by TrulyMadly
    Don’t come here with your puzzles, trying to distract us from your reckless abandon and non-Elite ways ....

Anon
    Last edited by Anon; 01-12-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 1st Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 18,328 Posts
    • 199,716 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    A puzzle for you

A piece of string is attached to the corner of a cube. The cube is suspended by the string and lowered into a bucket of water so that exactly half of the cube is submerged. What shape is made by the intersection of the cube with the surface of the water?
    A regular hexagon?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    TM give your head a shake!

Badge ... suspended ... now!

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    OK, what have you done with TM, one of our Elite Family would not do something so hopelessly reckless
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C

I know

Im so time poor at the moment, I have decided I just have to buy stuff rather than analyse it

Normal service will be resumed......sometime soon
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Two Irish men were sitting in a pub when the Tour de France came onto the television. The two lads watched the cyclists for a while when one asked:

Why do they do that? Go on them bikes for miles and miles, up and down the hills, round the bends. Day after day, week after week. No matter if its icy, raining, snowing, hailing . . . why would they torture themselves like that?

Its all for the money, says the other. The winner gets half a million pounds.

I see, says the first, But why do the others do it?
    Hehe
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • valhallablue
    • By valhallablue 1st Dec 17, 8:38 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    valhallablue
    Hi all,not sure if it’s been reported but my vaseline shop from earlier didn’t compare to Tesco.

mparison
    9 items (5 different) on your receipt qualify for comparison Asda Tesco
    1x Wham Raspberry Flavoured Bar (16g) 0.10 N/A
    2x Maltsmiths Brewing Pilsner (330ml) 3.00 N/A
    3x Vaseline Lulu Guinness Selection Lip Tin (each) 15.00 N/A
    1x Seriously Strong Vintage Spreadable Cheese (125g) 1.00 N/A
    1x Maoam Giant Strawberry Stripes (1pk) 0.10 0.10
    1x Swizzels Refreshers Original Lemon Flavour (18g) 0.10 0.10
    3x Propercorn Sweet & Salty Popcorn (6x14g) 5.37 3.00
    1x ASDA Semi Skimmed Milk (1pt) 0.49 0.50
    2x Maltsmiths Brewing IPA (330ml) 3.00 N/A
    3x Propercorn Lightly Sea Salted Popcorn Multipack (6x10g) 5.37 3.00
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    A regular hexagon?

The shape formed is a regular hexagon. Three faces of the cube meet at each corner so as you lower the cube, the intersection starts off as a point and grows into a triangle. The size of the triangle continues to grow as you lower the cube until it reaches it largest possible size. This happens when the water passes through all corners connected to the submerged corner by an edge of the cube. Any further lowering truncates the corners of the triangle and produces a six sided figure with the surface of the water intersecting all six sides of the cube. As you continue to lower the cube, the longer sides of the six sided figure decrease in length and shorter sides increase in length until they all become exactly the same length. This happens when the water intersects the midpoints of all edges not connected to the corner connected to the string or its diametrically opposed corner. The rotational and reflective symmetry of the cube tells us that all the sides and angles are equal.
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 1st Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 18,328 Posts
    • 199,716 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Of course, it would probably be worse if the winner of the Tour De France decided to do a victory lap ..............
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • locarr
    • By locarr 1st Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 7,759 Posts
    • 138,899 Thanks
    locarr
    Baxters against T in 4s, not Heinz. Heinz is the trigger.

There is an alternative of Crosse & Blackwell Best of British against T - but only three varieties should be comparable for that - and, again, T 4 for 3. Do not mix with Baxters in the same shop as it is a different offer.

Crosse & Blackwell tins (same three but need four in total) should also work against M, one version at least worked for me (as I just stuck to one due to personal taste). Or Batchelor's Cup a Soups (as long as M has them) - again keep separately, they can't be mixed together in the same shop.

My SAs (insofar as I go to a staffed till) must be wondering about my strange shops - just one tin of Heinz and four completely different products. Or - why buy one Cadburys product and then mix with four Black Jack sweets? Black Jacks only compare against M.
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer

Yes Bruv, Fanks
    "I've never looked at myself and said that I need to be a certain way to be around a certain sort of people. I've always wanted to stay true to myself, and I've managed to do that. People have to accept that."
    Jay-Z

bilge copyright all rights reserved
    • marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 1st Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 27,942 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    An eight pack that thinks it is a six pack. And then potentially compares against a 6 pack at M. Small wonder I missed it if the descriptions aren't the same.

Unless this is a simple thing like a typo mistake in the OP. I can only see a.com showing the 8 pack so the description appearing on the APG should be the same as that. It seems to me there is a mistake in the OP and it has been copied as (6x330ml) but in fact it's 8x330ml. Comparing against 8x330 at M, which obviously wasn't good enough price - albeit a lot cheaper than A - for me to notice it.

Interesting though. I think the OP has accidentally copied it incorrectly? Thus just causing me much pondering wondering if it is an eight pack rather than 6.

Would also make the price of whatever its comparing to as 1.252 each..which obviously cannot be...but then it can be...
    Last edited by marmitelovemehateme; 01-12-2017 at 8:44 PM.
    11 Days to go
    3Dogs lists....Posts 210 211 212 213 214

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • spud01
    • By spud01 1st Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    spud01
    An eight pack that thinks it is a six pack. And then potentially compares against a 6 pack at M. Small wonder I missed it if the descriptions aren't the same.

Unless this is a simple thing like a typo mistake in the OP. I can only see a.com showing the 8 pack so the description appearing on the APG should be the same as that. It seems to me there is a mistake in the OP and it has been copied as (6x330ml) but in fact it's 8x330ml. Comparing against 8x330 at M, which obviously wasn't good enough price - albeit a lot cheaper than A - for me to notice it.

Interesting though. I think the OP has accidentally copied it incorrectly? Thus just causing me much pondering wondering if it is an eight pack rather than 6.
    yes savvy miss type by me 8 pack of diet pepsi
    • vanilla twist
    • By vanilla twist 1st Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 58,307 Thanks
    vanilla twist
    Morning paw sniffers

My inbox is full of Advent junk this morning.......fur coat and no knickers. In other words, tantalising promises but no substance.

However I did receive my 20 Amazon code for the perfume I bought the other week through Vouchercodes....Allbeauty I think it was

I also bought the 5.50 Green and Blacks chocolates in T yesterday....like you DD, time is running against me these days....please dont analyse that phrase savvy

Another thank you goes to Seren for her fab picture posts every morning. I used to pester Wacky for her Christmas ones
    I got my voucher the other day, thank you.

Shame my parcel never arrived
    They are investigating it with Royal Mail. On the tracking it says it has been delivered either to myself or my neighbours. No card through door and not with any of my close neighbours. Hopefully it will get resolved. Had to order item again as something I needed and run out of, amazon this time to take advantage of the free beauty box. Purchase arrived but no beauty box yet. I thought it would arrive with purchase.

Been busy giving my drawers a good bottoming. I don't know not lived here 2 years yet but plenty needs throwing away.
    On plus side found some things need to go on fb.

This delivery business has put me off selling on ebay

Still nothing matters in grand scheme of things.
    Hugs to TM, Di and HG In my thoughts.

V x
    . I do think a chaise lounge is a good description of you though. Stylish yet comfortable and laid back
    Originally posted by fairclaire
    May the odds be ever in your favour

SPC 7 Pot No 410 232.63 Total
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 1st Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 22,022 Thanks
    curl girl
    My pink lip cracker compared 8 v 5 T today, just checked!
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Dont come here with your puzzles, trying to distract us from your reckless abandon and non-Elite ways ....

Anon
    Originally posted by Anon
    On a positive note, I did a successful muller shop

I threw a box of Felix cat food in the trolley. Suurely I thought......it cant be any more expensive than 4.50 in S

And for once it wasn't

To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • 3Dogs
    • By 3Dogs 1st Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 13,371 Posts
    • 144,966 Thanks
    3Dogs
    My pink lip cracker compared 8 v 5 T today, just checked!
    Originally posted by curl girl
    Oh someone else too - and mine was pink
    Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13

NSD Oct 18, Nov 16, Dec 21, Jan 16, Feb 19, Mar 19, Apr 20, May 16, June 19, July 20, Aug 21, Sept 19, Oct 18, Nov 19/16

3for2 list is post 210, Fillers are 211-214
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 1st Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 22,022 Thanks
    curl girl
    Baxters against T in 4s, not Heinz. Heinz is the trigger.

There is an alternative of Crosse & Blackwell Best of British against T - but only three varieties should be comparable for that - and, again, T 4 for 3. Do not mix with Baxters in the same shop as it is a different offer.

Crosse & Blackwell tins (same three but need four in total) should also work against M, one version at least worked for me (as I just stuck to one due to personal taste). Or Batchelor's Cup a Soups (as long as M has them) - again keep separately, they can't be mixed together in the same shop.

My SAs (insofar as I go to a staffed till) must be wondering about my strange shops - just one tin of Heinz and four completely different products. Or - why buy one Cadburys product and then mix with four Black Jack sweets? Black Jacks only compare against M.
    Thanks savvy.

I mixed my soup shop as got excited to see French Onion my favourite and don't see it very often.

A lovely French Onion Soup recipe would be welcome from the cooks please?

Off to get a glass of something nice.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly

Still nothing matters in grand scheme of things.
    Hugs to TM, Di and HG In my thoughts.

V x
    Originally posted by vanilla twist
    Thank you VT....lovely to see you here

Yes we have the funeral next week.

Its on his birthday

The general concensus is that its going to be 2 sad days so we might as well combine them. The other angle is that it HAS to be a day of celebration, so we are going for it.

How is mr ted these days VT?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 1st Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 22,022 Thanks
    curl girl
    Oh someone else too - and mine was pink
    Originally posted by 3Dogs
    Strange how some of us are getting different results.
    Mine was a mixed 8 batch though.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Thanks savvy.

I mixed my soup shop as got excited to see French Onion my favourite and don't see it very often.

A lovely French Onion Soup recipe would be welcome from the cooks please?

Off to get a glass of something nice.
    Oh its so easy to make curly

Slice your onions finely and sweat in butter. Sprinkle a little of sugar over the onions and add garlic. Add a good beef stock and a glass of wine. Some people add cornflour to thicken but I dont. Slice French bread on top and melt cheese on top to serve

Best served next day
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 1st Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 22,022 Thanks
    curl girl
    Oh its so easy to make curly

Slice your onions finely and sweat in butter. Sprinkle a little of sugar over the onions and add garlic. Add a good beef stock and a glass of wine. Some people add cornflour to thicken but I dont. Slice French bread on top and melt cheese on top to serve

Best served next day
    Thanks.
    I have tried before but it turned out limp and tasteless not at all how I remember it from Paris.

Will try again, think I've some of those stock pots left.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 1st Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 32,110 Posts
    • 457,623 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    Oh TM that's a double difficult day.
    Was your brother older than yourself?
    I know, but it makes it more poignant I think
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter