Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 12,770Posts
    • 36,410Thanks
    redfox
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2
    • 6th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2 6th Nov 17 at 3:30 PM
    MoneySavingExpert insert:

We've received reports that some posts on here possibly advocate fraud.

Please remember MoneySavingExpert is about saving money legally. If you're at all unsure please don't post.

Back to the original post...

-----

Welcome to a new long lasting Elite 11+ glitch and chat thread.

It's a great group and community so enjoy!

All the relevant information can be found in post number 2.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-02-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 275
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 30th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 19,958 Posts
    • 261,722 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    They were in the 3 for 3 savvy. It was the crispy thin ones though if that makes any difference
    Originally posted by abailey54
    I hope this is still on after today. Did Tomato Ketchup Crisps not interest you?

Mind you, if the mbuy was ending completely, we should be seeing full prices on a.com today - and that would be even better then not to use a trigger - obviously not happened so far as the mbuy is showing - but we don't want individual prices dropping and, even if the mbuy remains on other items, we don't want Walkers standard 6 packs taking out of it and putting onto hopeless 1 (making no saving, in fact obtaining them for more expensively for us) if that affects the Ketchup trigger.

At least we know Crispy Thins Cheddar compare against M.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 30-11-2017 at 3:30 PM.
    M lists - page 18 (on 40 posts per page setting) - Avs M: post 705-708 inclusive; Tvs M and "Buy in M": post 708 onwards.

3Dogs' lists - page 6, posts 210-214.
    • abailey54
    • By abailey54 30th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 19,695 Thanks
    abailey54
    I hope this is still on after today. Did Tomato Ketchup Crisps not interest you?

Mind you, if the mbuy was ending completely, we should be seeing full prices on a.com today - and that would be even better then not to use a trigger - obviously not happened so far as the mbuy is showing - but we don't want individual prices dropping and, even if the mbuy remains on other items, we don't want Walkers standard 6 packs taking out of it and putting onto hopeless 1 (making no saving, in fact obtaining them for more expensively for us) if that affects the Ketchup trigger.

At least we know Crispy Thins Cheddar compare against M.
    Originally posted by Savvybuyer
    Didn't know there was a trigger not too keen on ketchup crisps anyway
    • Picasso7
    • By Picasso7 30th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 34,883 Thanks
    Picasso7
    I think that nifty Excel formula someone did was on the lost spreadsheet. I have tried to replicate it but am not sure I have the APG formula right. Are we being paid 21p to take away the Benefit sets please?!
    • CM66
    • By CM66 30th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    CM66
    So for the B&H sets, in order to keep the APG under 20 do i need to only get fillers that are N/A?
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 30th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 47,491 Thanks
    rose28454
    I think that nifty Excel formula someone did was on the lost spreadsheet. I have tried to replicate it but am not sure I have the APG formula right. Are we being paid 21p to take away the Benefit sets please?!
    Originally posted by Picasso7
    Where are these please? sorry answered it myself
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 30th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 19,958 Posts
    • 261,722 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Actually I won't as might not pick morries up and had enough fails
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Oh. Might well pick up Morries. I would have thought it was fairly low risk as long as people pick the ones that M has. The way my Ms went I would think this was getting more likely to work from Wednesday's collection than the opposite - on Monday I had one store not showing offers but that was early in the day but by Wednesday there are more offer SELs around for me. I just had one store that was a bit bitty and hadn't done a full job of changing every one, but others had complete offer pricing and would think that would even out - I've had stores before with full price across all of an item (not these items) and that hasn't affected the result, as generally they will have offers showing in most stores. I don't consider this a great risk - but, as you suggest, watch it fail now.

I would go for this, if I needed them (or even if I wanted them and could come in useful - for me, they don't really though, which is why I'm not shopping for them) - to be honest my Cadbury Gateau was I feel far more risky (and I knew this) - would even have been cheaper buying in Sains - or Avs S cheaper than buying in M - should have put it on my Mullers shop, got the wrong shop for that one. Since I didn't find it and would need more stores to do so, perhaps this suggests it's in fewer Ms - they probably then go have it but maybe only in one M and as that place hadn't changed its SEL on Monday, and the product wasn't found more widely, likely to have correct price on display, to cancel that out it gets left with what seems to be incorrect full price. I think, fwiw, items that are in ranges that aren't in many collection stores, or perhaps are just in one, will be more likely to pick up incorrect prices than others.

I didn't have many stores on Wednesday so that is my reason for not finding - as we saw, the collectors did appear to find the product in M. There are items that I have only in one store - or, when I did a proper six, had only in one store - and, if it happened that my one store doesn't have a correct price on display, then I am more likely to have the wrong price without anywhere else to correct me. If I know items have been on offer because I've seen them elsewhere but just end up with one store having them on a set, I end up having to check those items at the SS (or less reliably at the till). I just hope the collectors have a store with the offer.

As for the Aussies, most of them are widely available and I don't see widespread SEL problems. I think these are very likely to be good from Monday and even more so from Wednesday. Don't think of M as too much of a risk - my item fail, with the gateau, was.

I have been doing vs M on the APG very well up to that point. Just when I think I have got consistent comparisons, I am back to square one with seeing another fail. I know the mix and match on the Kipling's turned out to be dodgy and I just happened to pick the ones they had on the M offer in the APG - more due to T only having had the other two on offer that turned out not to work on mix and match against M. That, again, though is one of those risks that we see from time to time - there are times when I avoid mixes and matches as they do increase the risk (particularly if you mix lots of different items) - however, I always think one of mine isn't going to pick up an mbuy offer at T and make the whole comp. fail, so it's not just a vs M issue: since A or agency took over the system from msm, it's a risk against the other stores too (or it is when I try to do the shopping).

These Aussies, though, straight price - I think they're a fair bet.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 30-11-2017 at 4:02 PM.
    M lists - page 18 (on 40 posts per page setting) - Avs M: post 705-708 inclusive; Tvs M and "Buy in M": post 708 onwards.

• abailey54
    • By abailey54 30th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 19,695 Thanks
    abailey54
    No, we pay 20, APG sees 30 vs 11.25 (-10% 1.12 = 10.13) so we get 19.87 (pay 13p for 3) - my rounding might be wrong, but thereabouts (4p each)
    • Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 30th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 19,958 Posts
    • 261,722 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    Didn't know there was a trigger not too keen on ketchup crisps anyway
    Originally posted by abailey54
    Sorry there is - sorry you've not caught up.
    I thought Ketchup crisps weren't going to be very nice as I don't really like Ketchup - however, they turned out to be more like tomato flavour than tomato ketchup as such (not sure there is a difference as tomato ketchup is tomato) so more like tomato cup soups that also use tomato powder.

To recap, we have:
    The massive 3 for 2 offer.
    Ketchup crisps on 3 for 3 crisps & snacks.
    Heinz Lentil & Bacon tin on 5 for 3 soups.
    Muller Christmas Gingerbread on Muller singles 10 for 3.
    Cadbury's Chomp OR Cadbury Buttons on 5 for 1 kids sweets.
    SP Fish Fingers comparing against M at 60p instead of 65p (may have ended now if updated to Wednesday and if 65p is now continuous correct price in M that I haven't seen change to 60p).

Plus anything we/I don't currently know about.
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 30-11-2017 at 8:48 PM. Reason: New trigger found for the sweets

• Lainey1954
    • By Lainey1954 30th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Lainey1954
    Can I put the mullers and gift sets in the same shop?
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 30th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9,905 Posts
    • 114,560 Thanks
    emerald21
    Oh those full houses suk dont they. Well done on your second 50 one yesterday!
    I got 3 MnS a coke and another 10 dining out today - really pleased with these dining out as a couple of nice pubs nearby take them ( according to their search thingy).
    Hub & I like a nice pub meal occasionally.
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    They do dont they lol
    • gocat
    • By gocat 30th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 57,663 Thanks
    gocat
    So I was in hurry in Mr A last night, found the trigger yogs and made to baskets - but somehow managed to put 11 in one basket and thus had 10 plus the trigger so no apg win and in the other had 9 so no 10 for 3 offer - double fail
    Originally posted by michaels
    Where abouts is this elusive A's thats has the trigger yogs. Ive looked in 3 local ones so far and none there. Took a walk round Iceland when waiting for the bus home and there was a multipack of the wanted yogs. No good to me in there
    • CM66
    • By CM66 30th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    CM66

I think i've figured out how to put it in an excel spreadsheet.... is there a way to save it somewhere so people can access / alter it?
    • ledlights
    • By ledlights 30th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    ledlights
    picking up morrisons prices for aussie
    1x ASDA Smart Price Rice Pudding (400g)
    0.20 0.18 1x ASDA Smart Price Golden Vegetable Savoury Rice (120g) 0.25 0.25 1x ASDA Oatie Crumbles (300g) 0.45 0.40 1x ASDA Smart Price Peeled Plum Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (400g) 0.29 0.30 1x ASDA Smart Price Strawberry Jam (454g) 0.28 0.28 1x ASDA Smart Price Tea Bags (40pk) 0.25 N/A 1x ASDA Bourbon Biscuits (300g) 0.39 0.40 1x ASDA Smart Price Sponge Mix (227g) 0.22 0.22 2x Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo for dry damaged hair (300ml) 8.00 4.00 1x ASDA Smart Price Spaghetti (500g) 0.23 0.20 1x Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner for dry damaged hair (250ml) 4.00 2.00 1x Aussie Miracle Shine Conditioner (250ml) 4.00 2.00 2x Aussie Miracle Shine Shampoo (300ml) 8.00 4.00 1x ASDA Smart Price Ready to Serve Custard (385g) 0.25 0.17
    • Snap-ant
    • By Snap-ant 30th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 14,547 Posts
    • 252,094 Thanks
    Snap-ant
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions !!!9829;

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 30th Nov 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 60,840 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Christmas is coming! To help you get in the festive spirit, the CheckoutSmart elves will be rewarding you with an extra special cashback deal every day through to Christmas Eve. Open your email each morning to see your exclusive offer and find out if you are the lucky winner of our Daily Christmas Cash Bonus. Look out for the first special Christmas gift tomorrow!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

• marmitelovemehateme
    • By marmitelovemehateme 30th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 29,312 Thanks
    marmitelovemehateme
    Just tidying up for you ledlights...

1x ASDA Smart Price Rice Pudding (400g)
    0.20 0.18 1x ASDA Smart Price Golden Vegetable Savoury Rice (120g) 0.25 0.25 1x ASDA Oatie Crumbles (300g) 0.45 0.40 1x ASDA Smart Price Peeled Plum Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (400g) 0.29 0.30 1x ASDA Smart Price Strawberry Jam (454g) 0.28 0.28 1x ASDA Smart Price Tea Bags (40pk) 0.25 N/A 1x ASDA Bourbon Biscuits (300g) 0.39 0.40 1x ASDA Smart Price Sponge Mix (227g) 0.22 0.22 2x Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo for dry damaged hair (300ml) 8.00 4.00 1x ASDA Smart Price Spaghetti (500g) 0.23 0.20 1x Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner for dry damaged hair (250ml) 4.00 2.00 1x Aussie Miracle Shine Conditioner (250ml) 4.00 2.00 2x Aussie Miracle Shine Shampoo (300ml) 8.00 4.00 1x ASDA Smart Price Ready to Serve Custard (385g) 0.25 0.17
    Originally posted by ledlights
    1x ASDA Smart Price Rice Pudding (400g) 0.20 0.18
    1x ASDA Smart Price Golden Vegetable Savoury Rice (120g) 0.25 0.25
    1x ASDA Oatie Crumbles (300g) 0.45 0.40
    1x ASDA Smart Price Peeled Plum Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (400g) 0.29 0.30
    1x ASDA Smart Price Strawberry Jam (454g) 0.28 0.28
    1x ASDA Smart Price Tea Bags (40pk) 0.25 N/A
    1x ASDA Bourbon Biscuits (300g) 0.39 0.40
    1x ASDA Smart Price Sponge Mix (227g) 0.22 0.22
    2x Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo for dry damaged hair (300ml) 8.00 4.00
    1x ASDA Smart Price Spaghetti (500g) 0.23 0.20
    1x Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner for dry damaged hair (250ml) 4.00 2.00
    1x Aussie Miracle Shine Conditioner (250ml) 4.00 2.00
    2x Aussie Miracle Shine Shampoo (300ml) 8.00 4.00
    1x ASDA Smart Price Ready to Serve Custard (385g) 0.25 0.17
    Frugal January shopping spend 20:53
    OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!
    • michaels
    • By michaels 30th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 20,424 Posts
    • 94,213 Thanks
    michaels
    Where abouts is this elusive A's thats has the trigger yogs. Ive looked in 3 local ones so far and none there. Took a walk round Iceland when waiting for the bus home and there was a multipack of the wanted yogs. No good to me in there
    Originally posted by gocat
    Hatfield doesn't, Watford does (or did last night)
    Cool heads and compromise
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 30th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 89,318 Thanks
    izzeyb
    Thanks to tricky on FB

All good with my mix of dove bags & loreal same shop as both were 8.00

5x Dove Beauty Collection Washbag Body Gift Set (each) 40.00 22.50

1x L'Oreal Paris Read My Lips Christmas Cracker Nude Lip Kit (each) 8.00 3.75

32 spend - 25 back so just over 1 each on this shop

• Savvybuyer
    • By Savvybuyer 30th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 19,958 Posts
    • 261,722 Thanks
    Savvybuyer
    From M yesterday (I'm sorry, I just didn't feel like posting earlier, I get like that sometimes) I think there was not much change to M's real prices regardless of whether I saw more change on the SELs in my stores or not. There are things behind 'the list' that you don't see therefore. I think I've ended up with the real prices (then again, I always think that, until I see sometimes that contradicts what I ended up with before - so how would I know if my prices were wrong?) and I will therefore be putting onto the list items at prices I don't have displayed but which I believe will be immediately seen and obvious if you go into another M. I am making some implications from my stores in order to get some of those prices - not a great many, just the odd ones here and there, but you wouldn't know any of this. I'm just giving you straight up real prices every time aren't I?

Not much happened therefore afaik - well, other than my stores pulling off labels and making unnecessary changes to one or two displays when none were necessary - or still occasionally failing to put up SELs for the current prices (the usual sort of thing). I don't think you should worry about this too much (I'm not, when I attempt vs M).

I notice the report of Baileys 1L being 10 in M, and I see that on m.com now - however, for me at least, unless my stores were all hiding the 10 price from me, I have clear higher price in M yesterday (I think 15, could have been 12, I pay no attention to high prices that don't reach my guide price at all and would indeed only have noticed this if they had been 10 - there clearly was not). Therefore, I think, yet again, this is a Thursday to probably Sunday weekend (and a bit more) offer in M, and if that's so, it will never appear in the APG. We need to wait until at least Tuesday next week (possibly Wednesday) to stand any chance it seems and only then if it remains displaying 10 price in the collection stores generally on Monday. It could work on TBG (probably from tomorrow?) if it is 10 in M today, but again it could have missed the collections.

As regards what did happen in M yesterday, the price changes I had (real ones I believe that is) were that Spitfire Ale and Oxford Brakspear each went from 1 to full price (Oxford may have gone into the 4 for 6 mbuy but who cares about that?), I had some anti-perspirant deodorants (both women's and men's) make a silent change from 1.50 to 2 so I might remove those from the list - probably should remove all the other ones I have already got on there at 2 as worse options than the now-no-longer 1.50 ones if I am doing that - the Domestos Toilet Wipes have gone from 1 price crutch up to 1.25 - the Pledge Fluffy Dusters have again ended on an offer and gone back up, the Carlsberg Lager 20 pack is now off, and the Magner's 20 pack has gone from 10 to 2 for 20 (I don't know whether it is still 10 in Scotland - now 12 elsewhere). It seems the best way now is to buy the Magner's 18 pack in A, with some correct combination of Mullers, and the Magner's would have to compare against S at 10 in order to make it the same price per can as M's previous straight offer price (in England/Wales) was and to get the same as M's mbuy without having to buy far more cans.

The Magner's, which has increased in individual price in England and Wales in M it seems, is now on 2 for 20 mix and match with Carling 20x440, Strongbow 20x440 and Old Speckled Hen (10x500ml) also in the "offer" - the first two of these at least, and probably the last too though I haven't seen it, go to straight 10 offers though so 2 for 20 is hardly a good offer in that sense (gets you to pay twice as much although you get more cans than necessary possibly). Carling and Strongbow could be attempted on the APG() - would have to be a separate shop to target M, England & Wales only and would most probably need to wait for the update as they only went on offer yesterday. (I did an M on Monday displaying this offer; however it was the only store I had with that and I thought it was clearly premature - it did not seem to me to be the correct pricing at that point - I think I got a store that put up its hoarding a little early. So I excluded that - my understanding was that it was Carlsberg and Magner's that were on offer - straight 10 - on Monday and not Carling and Strongbow. I think that single Monday store of mine was unreliable on that - I think, most likely correctly, that it is no longer Carlsberg and Magner's - indeed my stores on Wednesday say as much - but is 2 for 20 Carling, Strongbow (and Magner's fwiw). I know nothing of Scottish prices - perhaps Carling and Strongbow could be individual goers on the APG vs straight 10 M (you would need to visit an M in Scotland or find out Scottish prices from somewhere before you can take it they are that). And also Old Speckled Hen (10x500ml) in the non-Scotland mix and match.

It is now left for me to decide whether the Old Speckled Hen (10x500ml) at 2 for 20 is the same Old Speckled Hen as the 5L version showing on m.com at straight 16 but with "1000 More points" = 1. I have seen no indication of any More points instore - maybe this is an online offer or maybe it is on, probably once even if on a purchase of 2 for 20, instore? If this is the 5L, it may work in T (once updated on the system there) although without any More points, whether or not they are on the product in M. It would instead be CC points - 20p possibly 80p if quadrupled later, unless your T has a temporarily fault and has to issue BG vouchers instead of... giving the same price as M at the till. Not a "discount", just the same pricing as M. I don't think these are the same - I think 10x500ml is a different product to 5L, though it's not much help as I have limited information from store - just says "Old Speckled Hen (10x500)" and leaves me trying to guess again.

Apart from those main "changes", there didn't seem to be much movement in prices in M between Monday and yesterday. In fact it's one of the quietest Wednesdays I've had* and allowed me to be here at lunchtime yesterday and to finish by late afternoon despite it supposedly being a busy day. I think they made most of their changes on Monday this week and the few items, mainly alcoholic, that were supposed to have ended on Tuesday - there weren't many offers due to expire by Wednesday this week at all - half of them seem to have been rolled over. I will now add Bailey's Original 1L to items to add to "buy in M", on the strength of m.com, although I have not seen it at 10 instore (due to missing the 10 period again - I am refraining from calling it an "offer period" - it doesn't say "offer" on m.com? Maybe it is just a 10 price, for however long they choose to have it on. I think it probably is an offer at that price and may be advertised as such instore, with crossed out higher price that had applied before. However, if they are not calling it an "offer", then I follow them and will not call it one, as I am not being accurate if I don't follow my source - which, here, is M itself!).

*coming a week after one of the heaviest Wednesdays of all (probably the second heaviest I've ever had - and that other one also in November one year)
    Last edited by Savvybuyer; 30-11-2017 at 5:27 PM.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 30th Nov 17, 5:14 PM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 60,840 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    My M and S has updated since this morning with a new list of 20% off, from which to choose 2.

Plus 5 off food/flowers instore only wys 25
    All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,501Users online

Martin's Twitter