Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 8:58 AM
    • 144Posts
    • 12Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    Subject Access Request
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:58 AM
    Subject Access Request 6th Nov 17 at 8:58 AM
    I made a subject access request for everything in relation to an account held previously at MBNA which was sold to Max Recovery.

I understand it takes up to 40 days for the information.

I have a concern.

I viewed my Noddle credit score over the weekend, and I am wondering as to why MBNA did a credit search!?

Is this normal procedure when doing an SAR!?
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    What does the details of the search say. Was it an administrative check, identity check (required to make sure the person sending the SAR is the right person, for example) or an actual credit search?
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    What does the details of the search say. Was it an administrative check, identity check (required to make sure the person sending the SAR is the right person, for example) or an actual credit search?
    Originally posted by StopIt
    It doesn't say what the search was for, but I understand speaking to the ICO this morning its not normal practice for them to access your credit file for an SAR.

I've sent an email to my contact at MBNA to investigate why this was accessed.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:30 AM
    It doesn't say what the search was for, but I understand speaking to the ICO this morning its not normal practice for them to access your credit file for an SAR.

I've sent an email to my contact at MBNA to investigate why this was accessed.
    Originally posted by ScaredWitless

Yes it should.

You go to the dashboard, go to Search History.

Click Others Searches.

It'll show the Company, Purpose and Date (Just looked up on my own file).
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    Yes it should.

You go to the dashboard, go to Search History.

Click Others Searches.

It'll show the Company, Purpose and Date (Just looked up on my own file).
    I'm with Noddle.

I've click on the search and its not showing as to why it was made.

I've sent my contact at MBNA a lengthy email quoting what the ICO have told me.

I've also suffered a drop in my credit score as a result of the search being made.

I feel its intrusive, plus MBNA already had my details.

Its not normal procedure to access your credit file over an SAR.

I've asked for compensation due to this damaging my score and for the fact that the search was unnecessary.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Nov 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:48 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:48 AM
    I'm with Noddle.

I've click on the search and its not showing as to why it was made.

I've sent my contact at MBNA a lengthy email quoting what the ICO have told me.

I've also suffered a drop in my credit score as a result of the search being made.

I feel its intrusive, plus MBNA already had my details.

Its not normal procedure to access your credit file over an SAR.

I've asked for compensation due to this damaging my score and for the fact that the search was unnecessary.

How are you accessing this?

As I said, I'm on my dashboard (on mobile). it clearly shows every search, the reason and the date.

What bit is missing, and why?

Also, you're not going to get any compensation for this, as it'll likely be a soft search. And the reason why MBNA will do a check is because they do have your details, and they want to check this against what the CRA systems hold. That's the whole purpose of the CRA system!

Even IF it was a hard search, you're not going to cause any damage to your actual credit history other than a fictional score.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 14,049 Posts
    • 14,745 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    Ask them to send you a few points. You can then manually add these to your score.
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    How are you accessing this?

As I said, I'm on my dashboard (on mobile). it clearly shows every search, the reason and the date.

What bit is missing, and why?

Also, you're not going to get any compensation for this, as it'll likely be a soft search.
    I'm afraid I will get compensation as the search has damaged my credit rating, and the search was unauthorised and not normal procedure for an SAR.

There is clearly nothing showing what the reason behind the search was.

I'm using a desktop and I'm on Noddle.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    I'm afraid I will get compensation as the search has damaged my credit rating, and the search was unauthorised and not normal procedure for an SAR.

How did you get on with last week's compo claim to MBNA?
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Nov 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt

You need to prove that you've actually suffered a financial loss to get compensation rewards from the ICO.

Losing some points on a credit score is not a material loss.

And I'm afraid you're being delibately misleading.

I just logged onto Noddle via Chrome desktop.

Clicked on Full Report, Search History, Other Searches.

Again, Company, Purpose, Date.

Now, am I going to need to post screenshots of my report to prove that you CAN see where the purpose of this check is, and you're being deliberately obtuse because you know the reason, and can't accept it as being valid?
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 6th Nov 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    nic_c

Good luck with that. This thread seemed familiar, then I realised it wasn't the first thread you have done wanting compensation. Is that what you do, go around looking to see what you can get compensation for?

Firstly, you don't say when the SAR was done, Noddle like other free CRA services only offer a periodic snapshot, was the date of the search after you did the SAR?
    Can you show what your "score" was before, and how it has changed, can you list all the changes that have happened to effect your score and show beyond reasonable doubt that it is this one search that has changed your score and not some other change. Can you show how this has affected you financially. You have only looked at Noddle, there are three main CRA's and you have only talked about CallCredit's information. How has your "score" on the other two been affected. Lenders usually only check one or two of the CRA, so you would have had to show that you were affected by a lender refusal who used call Credit and not one of the others. They wouldn't use Noddle!!

On your other "compo" thread you were going to simply apply for credit because of the detriment due to that - if you have done, you do realise that that would also affect your score!

Oh and also its what is on your report not the score that matters, anyway.
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 10:31 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    It says on the search was "Account Management".

The SAR was sent to MBNA on the 6th October, the entry onto my credit file was done on the 27th October.

Credit score before was 534 now its 484.
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    It says on the search was "Account Management".

The SAR was sent to MBNA on the 6th October, the entry onto my credit file was done on the 27th October.

They did not ask for my permission to access my credit report for an SAR, so therefore the entry is unauthorised.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 6th Nov 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    They did not ask for my permission to access my credit report for an SAR, so therefore the entry is unauthorised.

They don't need to.

It was a soft search, to check their records of account match the CRA systems.

That's going to get you a response from the ICO of "Not an actual credit check, no impact on your credit files. Compensation required: 0".
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    MEM62
    534 and 484 what? To expect compensation for a change in a meaningless, randomly generated number is unrealistic. As advised, this search will have zero impact on your credit standing and you will therefore have not suffered any loss.
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 6th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    Wow! a 9.36% decline in an entirely worthless number! I can see £££ coming the ops way to compensate them for the financial loss they have clearly suffered.
    • ScaredWitless
    • By ScaredWitless 6th Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ScaredWitless
    Wow! a 9.36% decline in an entirely worthless number! I can see £££ coming the ops way to compensate them for the financial loss they have clearly suffered.
    Originally posted by Brock_and_Roll

They sold the debt on to Max Recovery so havent lost out.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    They sold the debt on to Max Recovery so havent lost out.
    They sell on the debt at a much lower rate.

And they keep having to spend man hours responding to frivolous complaints.

They have lost out.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 6th Nov 17, 12:47 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    FFS pay your debt down and stop trying to worm out of it. We see thread after thread from you about this one debt. The check was a soft search admin check used to prove identity. Nothing more, nothing less. No compensation is due because the only people who see this search are the CRAs and you. Lenders do not see it.

Your credit history remains unchanged and your score is meaningless as lenders don’t see that either.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 6th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    tenchy

When you look into this business of permission, it turns out, somewhat surprisingly, that no one actually needs your permission to do any of this. The ICO allow anyone/any organisation to access your credit records provided they have a justifiable reason to do so. I found this out when I looking at what water companies can do. They can report your accounts, carry out searches - hard and soft - all without your permission.

Definition of justifiable: there isn't one as far as this issue is concerned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,822Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter