Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 5th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 58Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits?
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits? 5th Nov 17 at 7:08 PM
    Other half pregnant my salary 23k , her 25 total £48k.

Childcare costs look to be at least £900 a month

Would we be entitled to anything towards childcare?

Also when she is on SMP (employer only pays that £140 per week after 6 weeks) This will reduce our combined salary too approx 30k? Are we are too claim for anything then? (obviously childcare costs not required during this period).

If we are renting at 650 PCM, what is the most cost effective way to survive with childcare costs etc? Both of us working full time maybe? I see plenty of females at work who only work 20 hours when they've just had children, why is this?

Thanks
Page 2
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,946 Thanks
    sheramber
    From April 2018 the child care voucher scheme will be closed to new applicants. They will have to use the Tax Free Child Care Scheme but cannot claim tax credits.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 7th Dec 17, 7:06 PM
    • 7,407 Posts
    • 15,883 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    It's a little worrying that the OP has implied that he might leave his girlfriend - on the Marriages board, he has posted that tests have shown that there is a one in 44 chance that there baby will have Down's Syndrome.

In the event of disability, things do change. If it does occur, then there are different options, and some of those depend on a variety of factors, such as whether one parent gives up work or reduces hours. In this case, benefits such as Child Tax credits might come into play. However, until the baby is born and decisions are made, it is impossible to advise further.
    • hign10pines
    • By hign10pines 10th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    hign10pines
    You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that
    Originally posted by NoNoDrama
    Don't you want to have one household once the child arrives?

Surveys 2017: Opinion Outpost - £5 £10 | Prolific - £20.55 £65
    Debt: £7462 | 1250 OD | 189 Aqua | 4773 Loan | 460 Lloyds | 435 Marbles | 355 Barclaycard
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,687 Thanks
    elsien
    It wasn't looking good some weeks back, so lord only knows where they'll have got to before any child is born.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5712515
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 10th Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    Loz01
    Sorry to be that person to ask but..... didnt OP think of childcare costs before him and his girlfriend got pregnant? Surely its obvious the baby will need someone to look after it. You cant really get pregnant, come on this board then complain that childcare is 900 a month.
    More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 10th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Sorry to be that person to ask but..... didnt OP think of childcare costs before him and his girlfriend got pregnant? Surely its obvious the baby will need someone to look after it. You cant really get pregnant, come on this board then complain that childcare is 900 a month.
    Originally posted by Loz01
    You are assuming that it was planned.

I donít see whatís so wrong with asking what help is available. You donít need to be a low earner to get help with childcare.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 10th Dec 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    Loz01
    You are assuming that it was planned.

I donít see whatís so wrong with asking what help is available. You donít need to be a low earner to get help with childcare.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Eh, even if it wasn't planned, we all know how babies are made lol
    More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Dec 17, 6:17 AM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Eh, even if it wasn't planned, we all know how babies are made lol
    Originally posted by Loz01
    Doesnít mean accidents donít happen! This forum is about discussing benefit entitlement, not about whether they were right or wrong to have a child.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    • 16,116 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    FBaby
    You need to get your priority right. You're about to become a dad. It's the most precious gift of life. In return, it will be the most demanding role as you are expected to be responsible and support that person.

Money means nothing compared to building a strong relationship with your child, and you will not be in a position to do so if you act as a 'single' dad, ie. you opt not to live with your child and partner just so that you can get a little extra disposable income at the end, to go and buy stuff you don't need, at the cost of spending all your spare time to bond with your baby.

Such posts are so despairing that it got to the point that people go ahead and have kids without much thought behind it and value a bit of extra cash over the value of being a parent. Poor kid!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin