Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 3rd Nov 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,633Posts
    • 417Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    HSBCs £200 switch incentive ending this month?!
    • 3rd Nov 17, 8:56 PM
    HSBCs £200 switch incentive ending this month?! 3rd Nov 17 at 8:56 PM
    I actually branched on to page 2 to see if this had already been posted

I was in today beginning the switch process and was told by the worker there that they've been given notice that this offer will be pulled by the end of the month.

Do i have any concrete evidence for this? No
    Does it mean it WILL be pulled by the end of the month? No.
    Would it be the first time that a bank employee has been wrong about info they've been given? No.

All i'd say is if you're thinking about getting it done then play safe & get it done before it's too late.

I suppose we'll see come December whether it was right or not, but at least my account will have been opened by then.

Page 3
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Wot? No compliants

(and yes, I do know how to spell complaint)
    Originally posted by badger09
    Not this time. It very easy and and problem free !
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 23rd Nov 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    andromedean
    Regarding this condition

You must open the account by 11.59pm on 26 Nov, then start a full switch using HSBC's Current Account Switch Service, including at least two direct debits or standing orders, within 30 days
    I presume this means that two direct debits must be present in the prior account before the switch, you can't set it up after? If so I may need to arrange another direct debit before the switch if not before the application

I also presume they aren't bothered about sending £1,750/mth in then 1750/month out to the same bank? Seems a bit of a cheat.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 23rd Nov 17, 11:20 AM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    badger09
    Regarding this condition

I presume this means that two direct debits must be present in the prior account before the switch, you can't set it up after? If so I may need to arrange another direct debit before the switch if not before the application

I also presume they aren't bothered about sending £1,750/mth in then 1750/month out to the same bank? Seems a bit of a cheat.
    Originally posted by andromedean
    Yes, the DDs or SOs need to be set up on the account to be switched. I assume you know SOs are very easy to set up

Don't presume. Its a current account so you would be expected to spend your salary/wages/pension etc if that was the source of your deposits.

Before transferring it all out again though, you might take a look at their regular saver.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 23rd Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    andromedean
    Yes, the DDs or SOs need to be set up on the account to be switched. I assume you know SOs are very easy to set up

Don't presume. Its a current account so you would be expected to spend your salary/wages/pension etc if that was the source of your deposits.

Before transferring it all out again though, you might take a look at their regular saver.

It's worked on other accounts, is there something on this one which says it's against the terms & conditions?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 23rd Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    badger09
    It's worked on other accounts, is there something on this one which says it's against the terms & conditions?
    Perhaps I should have said 'there is no need to presume'.

As you will know from having read them, there is nothing in the T&Cs which says you must leave a specific amount in the account for a specific length of time.
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 23rd Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    andromedean
    Perhaps I should have said 'there is no need to presume'.

As you will know from having read them, there is nothing in the T&Cs which says you must leave a specific amount in the account for a specific length of time.
    I've no problem using their 5% saver but feeding £1750 into it every month without earning interest on nearly all of it, is a bit much unless some can be churned around.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 23rd Nov 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    badger09
    I've no problem using their 5% saver but feeding £1750 into it every month without earning interest on nearly all of it, is a bit much unless some can be churned around.
    So, £1750 in, £250 to the RS, £1500 out again

Personally, I run mine with a small balance and make sure I use it either to buy something, or pay a small amount off my credit card every 3 or 4 months. That way it looks as if I'm using it for something other than access to the RS. There's nothing to say that's necessary though.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 1st Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Ballard
    Sorry to be a pain but Iím on holiday at the moment and want to double check the t&cs for the £200. I have switched successfully with a couple of direct debits but Iím not sure whether I need to pay in the £1,750 within 30 days to qualify. If so, can it be sent from a first Direct account?

Iíve looked at the t&cs on the hsbc website and can see no mention of it but would like to double check with others who may know.

I only received my debit card on the day I left home and didnít have a chance to set up payment instructions from another account. My only option would be to telephone first direct to pay. By the time I get back itíll be touch and go whether Iím within 30 days.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter