Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Benzanna
    • By Benzanna 3rd Nov 17, 10:02 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Benzanna
    Lodger's room stinks of smoke and left it in a mess
    • 3rd Nov 17, 10:02 AM
    Lodger's room stinks of smoke and left it in a mess 3rd Nov 17 at 10:02 AM
    I'd really appreciate some help please,
    My current lodger has only lasted a month. He was so disrespectful and noisy at 2am/3am etc that when I asked him to try to be quiet at those times he said he'd leave.

I gave him an agreement to sign when he moved in - he took it but never gave it back. I have signed it, but he hasn't. Apparently that doesn't matter though - the fact is I've given him the agreement.

He was supposed to give 1 months notice, but he's only given me 2 weeks.

He has made a right mess in the process of moving out. He's put rotten food in the bin and it stinks - he filled it right to the top and didn't take the bin out, and now the whole kitchen stinks and there's a rotten goo at the bottom of the bin which has poured all over the floor when I took the bin bag out.

The main issue is the bedroom. My advert on spareroom said the lodger must be a non smoker. His profile said he was a non smoker.
    I have seen him smoking at work (we work at the same building) and he said he was going to quit 2 days after he moved in for medical reasons - so I believed him.

The room stinks of cigarettes - really badly. The mattress, curtains, rug and carpet all stink. I've also seen him smoking regularly at work so I know he didn't quit.

I don't know if he smoked in the room, but he stinks of smoke whenever he walks by, so as his room was such a mess with all his clothes littering the floor I think the smell has just transferred itself.

Can I take money from his deposit for cleaning, and how should I go about this?

Can I buy/hire a steam cleaner and carpet cleaner and do it myself? or do I have to pay for cleaners?

The carpet is covered in little bits of black stuff which is hard to get off and there's crisps and crumbs everywhere.

The agreement said he needed to leave the room as he found it (which was immaculately clean btw!)

He also stayed a day later than he should have, but I didn't say anything as he's quite intimidating. I mentioned it to him yesterday and he told me he used to be a lawyer and because I didn't mention it straightaway I can't do anything about it.

So am I also ok to take out a days rent from the deposit or is that being picky?

He has been a total nightmare to live with and been very disrespectful.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Page 3
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Nov 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Comms69
    Any act against the person is what the victim feels. It's the reason why there isn't a defence of weak skull.

As the lodger is a contractor and the OP is perm then it is worth talking to HR the Perm person is always treated with more care.
    Originally posted by aneary

ok, I'll try one last time.

1: It's not specifically what the victim feels. I could find your choice of jacket offensive. Or your tattoos intimidating. etc. - it is not so subjective as you make out. The law is often - would a reasonable person be on the same opinion.

2: I can tell you that the law prevents employers treating temp and perm workers differently.
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 6th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    simonineaston
    He's flying a kite... how do I know? 'Cos his letter is poorly researched, cobbled together from irrelevant articles he's half-read on the 'net. and factually inaccurate. He's putting all his eggs into one basket - the idea that he might panic you into acceding to some or all of his demands. Ignore him and like the smell, he will eventually fade away.
    "But what if he does go to a lawyer?" I hear you say... well then, the practitioner will advise him that he has no case... Simples!
    A chum of mine had similar trouble with a difficult lodger - drank all my friend's expensive booze, made late-night noise, etc.etc. Same scenario, in that he worked with him, too. My chum stressed heavily about getting rid of him, and as such you have my sympathy - this sort of thing can be mildly frightening. But tough it out - he'll know he's in the wrong & like the loser he undoubtedly is, he'll eventually give up and find something else in his crappy little life to get all aggrieved about!
    Don't take all our posts of sympathy / support as carte blanche to do nothing, though - continue to collect evidence of your position - a quote from a cleaner would be a great start, just in case, beltNbraces. Not least, having a record of the cost of cleaning to hand will make you feel better about the whole incident, 'cos you'll have in print what you are thinking.
    • Benzanna
    • By Benzanna 29th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Benzanna
    Any act against the person is what the victim feels. It's the reason why there isn't a defence of weak skull.

As the lodger is a contractor and the OP is perm then it is worth talking to HR the Perm person is always treated with more care.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Hi,
    I did ask him to stop harrassing me a number of times as he would always send the messages late at night and they got more and more aggressive.

I spoke to HR at work as it resulted in me being nervous walking around the building and putting off having meetings I knew were on his floor. HR have completely had my back and agreed that I should not have to feel like this at work.

Funnily enough it turns out he's already had a few complaints from other colleagues about various other things he's done...!
    • aneary
    • By aneary 29th Nov 17, 2:39 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    Hi,
    I did ask him to stop harrassing me a number of times as he would always send the messages late at night and they got more and more aggressive.

I spoke to HR at work as it resulted in me being nervous walking around the building and putting off having meetings I knew were on his floor. HR have completely had my back and agreed that I should not have to feel like this at work.

Funnily enough it turns out he's already had a few complaints from other colleagues about various other things he's done...!
    Originally posted by Benzanna
    He will be leaving soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

1,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin