Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 2nd Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 63Posts
    • 144Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    frugal or not to frugal, to be mortgage free?
    • 2nd Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    frugal or not to frugal, to be mortgage free? 2nd Nov 17 at 10:42 AM
    We are a family of 4 plus 1 dog. Our mortgage currently stands at £79,880 will be paid off by 2036. We are on a fixed mortgage which ends Jan 2019. The thought of still paying our mortgage for that long makes me feel very down, so instead of wallowing and burying my head in the sand I've decided to aim to over pay the mortgage each month. If I pay an additional £100 a month it shortens the time by a couple of years, but hopefully with mse and advice from people on this forum I might be able to reduce this further. So my DH works full time and I'm a sahm (full time carer for DD2 and part time OU student), we have 2 dd. Our total income is approx £38,000. In order to keep cost down i run 3 allotments with my FIL which provides alot of our food, but our food budget is still rather large. As my title indicates I'm not sure which approach to take in tackling the mortgage repayment, but I guess I'll discover that as I go along.
Page 2
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 11th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    gin o'clock
    Just lost my last post. So I've decided to by a szechaun pepper plant, as my FIL and DD2 made bonfire night gin using peppercorns, very warming. Apparently these plants will grow in this country and I always like to grow something unusual at the allotment. My problem however is who do I buy from? I've looked at big online company and it will cost me £10.85 , but when i checked out the actual company who grow the plant they charge £12.85. So do i go with the cheaper option (MSE) or do I buy from those who've actually grown the plant? The only reason why they are more expensive is they charge more for postage and packaging. Wondered if this was because the bigger company has a deal with the delivery company as they will send more packages out. Need to sleep on it.
    Last edited by sazzlebgood?; 11-11-2017 at 2:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 12th Nov 17, 1:12 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    DH at work again this wkend, DD2 invited herself to her granma's and they are going to see paddington 2. DD1 at home revising for her mocks. So went to the allotment for a couple of hours and harvested tea and Tuesday tea also. Come home and trying to get my self to do the housework, but not sure where to start. Think the dog is first.
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 22nd Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    We only have one more cc payment to make and then we can start over paying.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 22nd Nov 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 17,661 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Hi Sazzle, well done on all the small changes you are making, they will all add up quickly.

Do you make Tilly Tidy payments to your mortgage? These are so helpful at reducing the balance slowly each day.

Best of luck xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 22.12.17 - £115,000
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    Goal - overpay £10k by 31.3.18 - so far £182/£10,000
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 22nd Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Well done Sazzlebgood, you sound very organised. We have similar sizes and terms of mortgage and not so did-similar incomes so I will be following along with interest.
    Have you had a play around with the MSE early mortgage repayment calculator? It's really good.
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 2nd Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    So the last of the credit card debt is paid off ,so i can now focus on the mortgage. So today will be the first hopefully of many over payments. Worked out we could be mortgage free in 14 years which seems along time away. We maybe able to do it quicker once the mum loan is paid off in the next couple of years. So to help make possible additional payments I've set myself several challenges this year some we've done before and some new. Some will save money and some won't, some will make life simpler and some will be just because!
    1) Continue to only buy meat that is reduced.
    2) No clothes buying except for school uniform and shoes, DD1 needs walking boots and DD2 will probably need a new winter coat by the end of the year.
    3)Reduce the amount of plastic coming into the house, look for alternatives or look for ways for it to be reused.
    4) Use stuff off the allotment everyday.
    5) Use up stockpiles in cupboard and freezer.
    6) Meal plan.
    7) Declutter 2018 things from the house this year.
    8) Cut our £600 food bill down and save the extra to pay for holidays, days out and special occasions.
    9) Complete my second year (part time) of my degree.
    10) Try to be more positive.

Meal plan for this week.
    Tue- make roasted veg soup from christmas day veg that is currently defrosting with cheesie toasties.
    Wed - chicken curry and rice (left over chicken from monday)
    Thurs- sausage(ys), mash (hg) and beans
    Fri- freezer suprise
    Sat - out
    Sun- cheese and crackers.
    Christmas decs came down yesterday , sorted through and have got rid of several and binned broken ones

Declutter challenge 2018
    1-3 broken decs in bin
    4-20 decs to cs.
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 3rd Jan 18, 10:01 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    Went into town yesterday , struggled to park as it was so busy. Returned library books, set myself a challenge last year not to buy any new books or dvds (only buy as a special treat for birthdays) and support my local library. Managed to drop off christmas cards at supermarket for recycling. Mad at OH this am as i asked him to get the chicken out to defrost and he left it out on the side all night. So that was wasted. DD 1 and 2 back to school today. DD1 hopefully will get the results to her mocks this week fingers crossed. have a big long list of things to do today including looking at my next assignment, costing up new fencing and fitting a yoga session in.
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 3rd Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    declutter challenge 2018
    20 - 30 various items of clothing gone to the cs

HM soup for lunch.
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 4th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    Had to visit the supermarket as the dog had been sick all over the dining room carpet and I'd run out of cleaner. Need to really take a list with me when i go as i came back I'd spent £50 odd pound and had only gone for cleaner. I think at the weekend I need to sit down and look at my spending habits when I go to the supermarket and look at ways to stop me spending so much. No wonder our bill is so big. I did pick up some christmas cards and paper some that could be used to wrap birthday presents and a couple of christmas presents. I noticed this year however that because I'd already got alot of presents in sales etc that it effected my enjoyment (not alot but abit) of the whole process of preparing for christmas. So I'm not sure if the frugalness of saving on presents versus pleasure of buying near christmas was worth it from an emotional point. Flooring for dining room is going to have to wait as the garage roof is leaking and the fence needs repairing may regret the additional over payment this month. Saved money today as OH brought back the remains of an old pan(no handle) from work to replace the dog bowl that went in the bin due to it developing a huge crack in it. Been and got bulbs (reduced to £2 a pack about 30 in a pack) to make a friends birthday present.
    Last edited by sazzlebgood?; 04-01-2018 at 7:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter