Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 1st Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...
    • 1st Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling... 1st Nov 17 at 5:27 PM
    Almost 700,000 British victims of the Equifax hack are receiving letters offering free identity protection - but only if they hand over personal details - and directing them to a helpline that many say isn't working properly...
    Read the full story:
    'Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling - here's what to do'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 3rd Nov 17, 6:29 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    badmemory

Goodness me, think we could all do without this hassle!!
    Originally posted by Mr Costcutter
    Indeed, and caused by a company that most of us have actually never had any DIRECT contact with. Perhaps it is time for people to start asking banks & other suppliers who they actually use & show our distaste for their choices of "providers" by moving on.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 3rd Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,121 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I've also alerted my banks and credit card. I've also asked for a new Debenhams card, as Debenhams Flowers, as separate but linked organisation, was hacked last year.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • farenuf
    • By farenuf 3rd Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    farenuf
    I received the Equifax letter yesterday. Today I received a text from Nat West saying my account had been deactivated and to click on the link. Obviously a scam as I don't have a NatWest account. Maybe we should post any unusual activity on here to alert others.
    Originally posted by ceewash
    I have had i pay purchase notices by e mail and the same Natwest phishing e mails.I went into Natwest and they didn't seem at all concerned they just advised to delete e mails.
    The I-pay purchase was in Algeria !
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 3rd Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,121 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Bloody Equifax!

Thank god I registered with CIFAS as I've just had a call from Argos to discuss a credit application! Needless to say, I've not made one.

How long will this go on, I wonder!

• BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 3rd Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    BucksLady
    Bloody Equifax!

Thank god I registered with CIFAS as I've just had a call from Argos to discuss a credit application! Needless to say, I've not made one.

How long will this go on, I wonder!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    pollypenny, so sorry to hear that - but thank goodness you registered with CIFAS! Your story has made me feel really glad that I registered with them too.
    • kitla
    • By kitla 7th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kitla
    I've had a spate of fake emails this year supposedly from different banks I've never dealt with. When I received the letter from Equifax I thought that was probably why, but Equifax say they lost my phone number not my email address, so the emails are from somewhere else. At first I was unsure whether to sign up to Equifax for a year's free services, then I read this, which I thought so outrageous that I want nothing to do with this company.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/03/equifax_share_trade_investigation/
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 7th Nov 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    nic_c
    And its now 15.2 million UK records!
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/10/equifax_uk_records_update/
    • YorkieMan
    • By YorkieMan 7th Nov 17, 2:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    YorkieMan

I tried calling the helpline as per their letter but my first call was answered by someone overseas who barely spoke English and the second time by a woman in the Philippines. I'm not happy discussing my financial details over the phone with either of these locations but it seems impossible to contact Equifax in the UK. Their website says if you have any questions to contact them, but on the website you have to already have one of their products to even post a question. To me they are going out of their way to NOT help anyone. Do others feel the same? Who can we complain to?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,121 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole now.

• Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 7th Nov 17, 6:48 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    What a nightmare and a hassle too! I've received a number of dodgy looking emails - which I haven't opened - but I've now changed my email address for obvious reasons. The letter I received didn't state my email address had been stolen - ha, I'm not so sure!
    • SteveL13
    • By SteveL13 8th Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SteveL13
    Equifax / NatWest
    I got my letter last week and was concerned taht it stated that they would never ask for full credit card details/ bank account detaiuls but then offered to protect 12 credit cards and 6 bank accounts [which presumably they would need to know full details of in order to protect?!]
    Today I rang the helpline number which clicked through to a foreign ring tone which turned out to be in Manilla . I curtailed the call.

Like another contributor, yesterday I received a text -'Fraud Alert' - Your online banking has been temporarily disabled. Please log on securely via 'sec NatWest'. I dont knowingly have a bank account.

Would I be prudent to sign on with Noddle?
    • SteveL13
    • By SteveL13 8th Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SteveL13
    Exactly my experience
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 8th Nov 17, 12:49 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    BucksLady

Would I be prudent to sign on with Noddle?
    Originally posted by SteveL13
    SteveL, it might be worth taking a look at this site https://www.cifas.org.uk/
    • winplease
    • By winplease 8th Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    winplease
    Equifax/MSE
    My letter arrived today. Never had dealings with company and did not wish to simply use 'phone numbers given in a letter 'out of the blue'. Came to MSE to check. Note that MSE still suggests we can credit check ourselves with this company. I shalln't be taking up its' offers but wonder if I could charge it the CIFAS fee.
    • brianben
    • By brianben 8th Nov 17, 3:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    brianben
    Equifax want's more data.
    Had the letter today.
    I have never given Equifax any data.
    How did they get my data?
    There is no way I will give these morons any data that they can lose again!!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    badmemory
    Had the letter today.
    I have never given Equifax any data.
    How did they get my data?
    There is no way I will give these morons any data that they can lose again!!
    Originally posted by brianben
    This is the whole problem really - that you do not have a choice about using them, unless you can use a bank that doesn't use them & none of your other suppliers ever use them either - nigh on impossible!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    badmemory
    I've had a spate of fake emails this year supposedly from different banks I've never dealt with. When I received the letter from Equifax I thought that was probably why, but Equifax say they lost my phone number not my email address, so the emails are from somewhere else. At first I was unsure whether to sign up to Equifax for a year's free services, then I read this, which I thought so outrageous that I want nothing to do with this company.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/03/equifax_share_trade_investigation/
    Originally posted by kitla
    How that can actually be true is pretty much incredible. My suggestion would be that is time for someone to investigate the investigators. Or alternatively look for a brain cell! You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to be seriously concerned about that decision.
    • HUMBUG
    • By HUMBUG 10th Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    HUMBUG
    I hope Equifax gets sued and are forced to compensate all the customers affected by their ineptitude. As a brand, they are now dead in the water and its only a matter of time before they go bust. So I can imagine things like security, customer service, etc getting even worse as they lose business to their competitors. I might opt for the CIFAS Protection Registration service but its only for 1 year and imho, another little business deal where customers might renew and generate monies for CIFAS (while giving EQUIFAX a little commission). So it looks like they've used a disaster as an opportunity to create extra business between themselves and other credit/id protection companies. I think I will give them all a wide berth.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 19,284 Thanks
    Doc N
    I may take the CIFAS route - it's probably the safest option.

I do know from past experience, though, that it's a confounded nuisance in practice because it adds a couple of days to anything requiring a credit reference - and these days that's a lot of things. Not just bank accounts etc but anything at all which involves, or might involve, something which you're not paying in advance for.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 10th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 12,410 Posts
    • 35,479 Thanks
    redfox
    Not just bank accounts etc but anything at all which involves, or might involve, something which you're not paying in advance for.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    but they seem to do credit searches when you just want an insurance quote for something which is invariably paid upfront. Multiple of those on my credit file from recently getting quotes for car and home insurance. I personally can't see the reason why they need to do that when you aren't, at that stage, and indeed may never be buying it from them.

Or are these not what you mean?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,323Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter