Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 209Thanks
    vicki2221
    No interest in my house
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    No interest in my house 1st Nov 17 at 1:00 PM
    Hello. We listed our house on 10th October and have so far had no interest in it. The marketing report from the agent says they have sent dozens of emails and texts about it. It has been clicked on over 150 times. I know a few weeks isn't long but houses in our area usually go fast, we live right by a fast trainline to London and it's a popular commuter area. I thought we would have at least had a few viewings by now. This is our first house and first experience of selling.

Is this is a very quiet time of year for buyers? I don't know if our house is the problem or if this time of year is bad for selling.

The agent hasn't been overly insightful - just said hold your nerve or drop the price. I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts on what we might be able to do to improve the situation! We really want to move, we've seen a house we love and we've just got married and would like to move on to our family home ASAP.

I can't post a link so please search TN4 9YB in Zoopla and it's the 1 bedroom house priced at 240k.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 01-11-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 16
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 24th Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Vicky2221 don't lose heart. Our buyer has always been confused about his AIP. I don't know for sure but I think what has happened in our case is that he was given an AIP based on very basic info indeed, but that was enough for us to accept his offer. He them started a formal mortgage application and that was when they were asking for physical proof of incomes etc. In his case the lender did their full credit evaluation of him first and only went to survey when he'd cleared that part. So throughout his whole process he's always only had an AIP until the last 2 days when they've given final approval, but has gradually been getting closer and closer to having a full mortgage. Hope that makes sense?

He actually thought his AIP WAS his mortgage offer at one point, poor guy!
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 25th Nov 17, 2:05 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Lots of people clicking this thread.....
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 27th Nov 17, 9:03 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Any news vicki2221 ?
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 9:58 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Any news vicki2221 ?
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    Not yet, we won't hear now until the end of the week when he is saying he will then be able to show an AIP. What's annoying is that he said he already had one. I feel like house selling and buying is just a constant wave of lies after lies! I can't stand all the dishonesty all the time.

Also, the vendors of the house we want to buy will not allow us to view it again. My husband only viewed it once. I saw it twice. I don't think it's unreasonable wanting to see it a 3rd time for me and a 2nd time for my husband. We last saw it in August, ages ago now. It's putting me off buying it :-(
    • Lurkingtoposting17
    • By Lurkingtoposting17 27th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Lurkingtoposting17
    Not yet, we won't hear now until the end of the week when he is saying he will then be able to show an AIP. What's annoying is that he said he already had one. I feel like house selling and buying is just a constant wave of lies after lies! I can't stand all the dishonesty all the time.

Also, the vendors of the house we want to buy will not allow us to view it again. My husband only viewed it once. I saw it twice. I don't think it's unreasonable wanting to see it a 3rd time for me and a 2nd time for my husband. We last saw it in August, ages ago now. It's putting me off buying it :-(
    Originally posted by vicki2221
    Vicki - having watched your story I can only offer this word of wisdom, insist on seeing your new home again. I saw mine once in May and then the vendor refused to let me see it again. He moved out and tried to insist I exchange without seeing the property empty. I stuck firm and got in and found lots of issues with the property that were covered up.
    My advice - pay for no completion, no fee insurance with your solicitors (my sale falling through cost me £80 + searches instead of £1100!) and even if you can't see it in the interim, insist on seeing it before exchange to ensure you are still happy.

It is not an unreasonable request, but I know from other threads on here, whilst some people like my vendor are just awful (there were other warning signs!), some people just feel if people want to see it again they have changed their minds and worry that everything will fall apart if they do.

Good luck with everything, I've loved seeing your positive attitude and the transformation of your home
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 27th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Wow that is unreasonable on their part ...I would be demanding that after all it's your money you are looking to invest in the property ..this house buying lark is so bloody stressful isn't it

it shouldn't take long to get an AIP, we had ours before we even started looking which i thought was standard practice ..i mean how on earth do you know what you can budget for otherwise ..! I would be hassling the agents by Thursday to get an answer from him ..tell them you are getting twitchy and see if that Jolts him at all maybe ?
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    it shouldn't take long to get an AIP, we had ours before we even started looking which i thought was standard practice ..i mean how on earth do you know what you can budget for otherwise ..! I would be hassling the agents by Thursday to get an answer from him ..tell them you are getting twitchy and see if that Jolts him at all maybe ?
    Apparently he has to wait until the end of the month to have his November accounts finished which he needs for AIP. He's self employed. EA says they should have it from him on Friday.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 27th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Eurgh what a total pain I'll look out for an update Friday hopefully
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 27th Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 5,520 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

Are they still living there? If so don't be too disheartened, as it stands you are only just at the beginning of the process, they might be concerned if they say yes you'll want to come again and again and that they'll have to tidy up and have the house 'viewer ready' constantly. Its a fair boundary to set, you've seen it twice, you've made an offer, a viewing now wouldn't be for any reason.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 12:23 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Are they still living there? If so don't be too disheartened, as it stands you are only just at the beginning of the process, they might be concerned if they say yes you'll want to come again and again and that they'll have to tidy up and have the house 'viewer ready' constantly. Its a fair boundary to set, you've seen it twice, you've made an offer, a viewing now wouldn't be for any reason.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    No, no one lives there, its owned by property developers. They have said they will no longer "entertain viewings" from anyone and took the keys off the EA.

We offered 10k below asking price before we had an offer on ours, which the EA advised we do to register interest. Then when we got an offer on ours, they rejected our offer and said they will only consider asking price or above. They said if they didn't get asking price they were going to rent it for 6 months and then put it back on next year. So before we offered 10k more I wanted us to see it again to be sure and to get some perspective but they wouldn't allow it. Anyway, we offered asking price on Friday but haven't had a response yet. Since we first saw it we have seen dozens of other similar houses, and I don't think we are overpaying if we pay asking price but it would have been nice to see it to be sure. From memory the living space is not nearly as big as it appears in photos but I can't clearly remember.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 27-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 27th Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 5,520 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    No, no one lives there, its owned by property developers. They have said they will no longer "entertain viewings" from anyone and took the keys off the EA.
    Oh well, that's a bit different, I'd make you see it again before you start spending a lot of money as I'd be worried there was something to hide to be honest. Why would they object to an estate agent doing viewings in an empty house? Its no work or cost for them.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Oh well, that's a bit different, I'd make you see it again before you start spending a lot of money as I'd be worried there was something to hide to be honest. Why would they object to an estate agent doing viewings in an empty house? Its no work or cost for them.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I just edited my post to give a bit more background, but I'm not sure why they won't either. I said to the EA that I get the feeling they don't want to sell to us for some reason. It's like they are trying to put us off.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 27th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Wow that is unreasonable on their part ...I would be demanding that after all it's your money you are looking to invest in the property ..this house buying lark is so bloody stressful isn't it

How does the OP know what to budget for though, this potential buyer isn`t doing anything different really?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 27th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

We offered 10k below asking price before we had an offer on ours, which the EA advised we do to register interest. Then when we got an offer on ours, they rejected our offer and said they will only consider asking price or above. They said if they didn't get asking price they were going to rent it for 6 months and then put it back on next year. So before we offered 10k more I wanted us to see it again to be sure and to get some perspective but they wouldn't allow it. Anyway, we offered asking price on Friday but haven't had a response yet. Since we first saw it we have seen dozens of other similar houses, and I don't think we are overpaying if we pay asking price but it would have been nice to see it to be sure. From memory the living space is not nearly as big as it appears in photos but I can't clearly remember.
    That just sounds like they were refusing viewings because they had decided to rent it out. That's not unreasonable.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    How does the OP know what to budget for though, this potential buyer isn`t doing anything different really?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    We had an AIP before we started looking, and certainly before we put any offers in.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 3:25 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    That just sounds like they were refusing viewings because they had decided to rent it out. That's not unreasonable.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes maybe they have decided to rent. But they haven't said either way. Maybe they're still debating what's best to do. Hoping they will sell at our asking price offer.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 27th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes maybe they have decided to rent. But they haven't said either way. Maybe they're still debating what's best to do. Hoping they will sell at our asking price offer.
    It sound like they have said...they took the keys from the Estate Agent and said "no more viewings".

That said, they are a business. If you offer enough, they will sell. That could be asking price; it could be more; depending where they are in their process.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 27th Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 59,497 Thanks
    LEJC
    Are your sellers still marketing the property on either an EA website or RM?

It seems strange if they are as presumably no one can get a viewing.

I wonder if they feel that the way to go is via renting maybe after christmas especially if the property has been on the market for sale since the summer.

My guess is that unless you go in with an over asking price they will probably go to rent ....

but there are other houses....

In the meantime whilst your offerer dithers...is yours still open for viewing...if not I would ask your EA to continue marketing....you cant wait forever for him to produce his ability to buy,however over asking price his offer was.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 160 out 139 in ...£18.64 spend
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 27th Nov 17, 4:08 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Are your sellers still marketing the property on either an EA website or RM?

It seems strange if they are as presumably no one can get a viewing.

I wonder if they feel that the way to go is via renting maybe after christmas especially if the property has been on the market for sale since the summer.

My guess is that unless you go in with an over asking price they will probably go to rent ....

but there are other houses....

In the meantime whilst your offerer dithers...is yours still open for viewing...if not I would ask your EA to continue marketing....you cant wait forever for him to produce his ability to buy,however over asking price his offer was.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    It is still listed on RM, yep. Although with "offers over" now. I agree, I think they have found it quieter than they thought they would. In the meantime we are still looking for other properties but haven't found anything that ticks as many boxes that this one does. We looked at 5 on Saturday, we are out viewing every weekend.

Yes ours is definitely still open for viewing and EA has ramped the marketing up a bit in the last few days since the wannabe buyer admitted he had no AIP.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 29th Nov 17, 9:10 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Poor you, so stressful - really hope you do hear back on Friday regarding the AIP, really don't understand why they lied about it !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter