Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    HazyJay
    Britannia Again
    • 1st Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    Britannia Again 1st Nov 17 at 11:34 AM
    Hi guys. I hope you can help.

Today I was surprised to receive a Final Reminder from Britannia parking. I have not received any previous notice from them and this is the first I have heard about any parking issues.

The letter has minimal info. It says the contravention took place on 7th October at a pub in the city. I was there that day as a friend was over from Australia on a flying visit. I don't recall going over on the meter at this time, and this notice does not tell me anything about it. Just the location and date of contravention.

It's not even clear how much they are requesting from me. All it says is the discounted period has passed and failure to pay could lead to an increase to £160. It says do not pay if you wish to appeal but then offers up no appeal information.

I have looked around and people mention POPLA codes etc but I'm confused as this notice has nothing on it. I have Asperger's and this is really stressing my head so I naturally want get more info on what I'm supposed to have done and appeal.

Can you guys advise me please. Some of the threads I've read are so heavy in legal phrasing I can't get the info I need easily
    Last edited by HazyJay; 01-11-2017 at 5:54 PM.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    Read post#1 of the NEWBIES sticky/pinned thread.

In there you will find a template appeal to sent to Britannia.

Send the blue one.
    No need to change anything - just send it.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    The blue one is not relevant. By the meter there is a large sign so I cannot argue obscure signage. I need to go back and see what all the wording is, however, they are there to enforce people who use the car park but not the pub. I remained a paying customer at the premises the whole time.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:51 PM
    The blue one is not relevant. By the meter there is a large sign so I cannot argue obscure signage. I need to go back and see what all the wording is, however, they are there to enforce people who use the car park but not the pub. I remained a paying customer at the premises the whole time.
    Originally posted by HazyJay
    The blue template is relevant.

Did you read this in that NEWBIES post:
    What's the point of appealing and what happens next?

- if this is a BPA member parking firm, the point is to get a POPLA code if you do not get it cancelled.
    Just send it. No-one will read it. You appeal will be rejected.
    But you will get a POPLA code and your POPLA appeal should go into great detail which is more applicable to your situation.

In parallel, you need to get the pub to cancel the ticket from their end.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-11-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    Should I edit it a touch to say no first notice received?
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    And I will email the pub today. There were about 25 of us throughout the day and we spent a fair amount of money!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    Should I edit it a touch to say no first notice received?
    Originally posted by HazyJay
    No. No need. As I said, they probably won't read it, and saying that will certainly make no difference.

That text, as it is, is designed to let the PPC know they are dealing with someone who has forum support, and there is a chance that they see this won't be easy so uphold your appeal.

You are making the mistake of thinking you are dealing with reasonable people. You are not.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-11-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    • 1st Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    I've just tried going to the website referenced in their letter. At both britpark dot com and britpark dot com/PCN and I am getting no website to obtain an email address from.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 1st Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    Perhaps you should be looking at: www.britannia-parking.co.uk

Click here:

But do check your documentation first. It would be silly to appeal to the wrong company.

Do make sure you appeal as the keeper.
    Check everything before submitting.
    I repeat - make sure you are appealing as the keeper not the driver.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-11-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    I can only go on the information they themselves provided. Which will form part of any claim against them

I want to post an image showing the letter but the site won't let me

It asks for a url for my image, then says I can't post links!!
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    https [colon slash slash] ibb dot co/eptiCb

Bit of a faff but the url for the image is there.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    KeithP
    http://ibb.co/eptiCb

That's strange.
    I agree that britpark.com appears not to exist.

I suggest you wait for someone else to advise on this.
    Last edited by KeithP; 01-11-2017 at 5:27 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 51,796 Posts
    • 65,432 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    See if this is still working:

http://britpark.zatappeal.com/

...if not post your appeal in the morning 1st class and take the letter to the Post Office, to get a free certificate of posting. And keep that, in case you have to complain to the BPA.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 5:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    That works, but if I'm instructed to go to a website that does not exist on their paperwork, and because this notice does not mention how much is requested to be paid, surely that's it invalidated anyway? It's not any kind of statutory demand or done in a decent way?
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    Logged into appeals site and the evidence is shoddy, it shows non time and date stamped images of my car number plate in closeup. No details of overstay nothing!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 51,796 Posts
    • 65,432 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    None of that matters, just submit the template appeal. Their appeal site/email doesn't appear on the paperwork because you didn't get the first letter (but you've got it now, so use it).

You could always email a complaint to the BPA at the same time, using the email you will also find in the sticky thread.

DO NOT imply who visited the car park, so no throwing in ad hoc words that give that away.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 01-11-2017 at 5:53 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 1st Nov 17, 5:52 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    I have done, the page crashed on submitting :/ but I did receive an email saying the appeal was received. And, I've also taken a screenshot of the crashed page showing date and time taken.

I'm a bit concerned about the 'obscure signage' aspect, but I'll trust you guys and keep you updated.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 7th Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    UPDATE:

I just received an email with the charge cancelled because they did not respond within 35 days
    Thanks for your help.

Re: Parking Charge Notice Number XXXXXXXX
    Site: XXXXXXXX
    Issue date: 12/10/2017

Further to your appeal received on 01/11/2017 regarding the above Parking Charge Notice.
    This notice has been cancelled as we have not replied to your appeal within the 35 days stipulated
    within the British Parking Association’s code of practice.

The Parking Charge Notice was issued to your vehicle because you failed to purchase a valid ticket. It
    is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that they have read and understood the terms and conditions for
    using the car park.

By failing to purchase a ticket you have broken the Terms and Conditions of the parking contract on
    offer; which you agreed to adhere to by parking and leaving your vehicle in the car park.
    Britannia Parking is an active member of the British Parking Association (BPA) and we follow their
    Approved Operators Scheme, Code of Practice at all times.

Our car parks are regularly audited and our signage at this car Park has been approved by the BPA.
    We meet all the requirements for our signage as advised under section 18 and 19 for England and
    Wales or Section 28 for Scotland, of the BPA’s Code of Practice, in regards to signage and notifying the
    driver of the terms and conditions.

Therefore we consider there to be sufficient, clearly visible signage in the car park to draw your
    attention to the terms and condition of the parking contract that is on offer. By leaving your vehicle in
    the car park you have broken the terms and conditions and therefore we believe the Parking Charge
    Notice to be valid and correctly issued.

In regards to your not giving the drivers details: under paragraph 9(2)(b) of schedule 4 of the Protection
    of Freedoms Act 2012 that the driver of the motor vehicle is required to pay this parking charge in full.
    After 28 days, if the Parking Charge has not been paid in full and Britannia Parking do not know both
    the name and current address of the driver, we have the right to recover any unpaid part of the Parking
    Charge from the registered keeper. This warning is given to vehicle keepers under Paragraph 9(2)(f) of
    schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and is subject to our complying with the applicable
    conditions under Schedule 4 of that Act.

Should we be provided with an incorrect address for service, we can pursue registered keeper for any
    Parking Charge that remains unpaid.

With reference to invoicing us, we are sure that you are aware that freely offered, unsolicited comments
    cannot be construed as professional advice, or indeed expect to receive remuneration for the same.

Because your appeal was not replied to in 35 days, we have to cancel your parking charge.

Please in future ensure you park correctly in order to ensure you do not receive any further Parking
    Charge Notices.

Yours sincerely,
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 15,932 Posts
    • 24,717 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I’ve never seen that before! 35 days only ended yesterday (based on your appeal date) and it might be argued that maybe even today or tomorrow might be the 35th day.

Did you ask them to cancel based on non response after 35 days? I can’t believe they unilaterally and voluntarily offered this up, just like that.

Something more underlying methinks.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • HazyJay
    • By HazyJay 7th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    HazyJay
    Nope. I simply sent the template. The only addition I made was to mention that I'd remained a patron of the venue throughout.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,962Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter