Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DAshleys
    • By DAshleys 1st Nov 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DAshleys
    How should i pay off my loan
    • 1st Nov 17, 11:23 AM
    How should i pay off my loan 1st Nov 17 at 11:23 AM
    Hi I was wondering the best way to pay off a personal loan I have taken out. I currently pay an amount every month and have around £5,000 left to pay. The loan has a early repayment fee.

The options I have are:
    - keep paying off until end as I am.
    - Pay of double my payments each month and pay off quicker but incur an early repayment fee
    - Try to get a balance transfer for 0% but again pay an early repayment fee.

My only other thought is do banks allow you to pay off more than you should, reducing the balance and interest charged however not pay the full amount of until the end of the agreement.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 15,181 Thanks
    zx81
    • 1st Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1st Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    What is the early repayment fee - when does it kick in? How much is it?
    Generally, the next advice is to overpay.

It's unusual that the bank will charge a repayment fee each month you overpay. You'd normally pay 2 months interest on the final balance cleared early.

You can't balance transfer a loan. But you could look at a money transfer card.
    Last edited by zx81; 01-11-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 1st Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1st Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    Phone them up, ask them for a settlement amount. Get a calculator out, calculate how much you would have to pay if you continued the agreement as is. See what the difference is, decide whether it is worth it or not.

What is the interest rate?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,253Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter