Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 31st Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 10Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Smart Meters
    • 31st Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    Smart Meters 31st Oct 17 at 5:13 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-11-2017 at 2:25 PM.
Page 12
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 8,144 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Do companies receive commission for getting/coercing/forcing a customer to have a smart meter fitted. I am being bombarded by phone calls morning, noon and night almost on a daily basis. All from the same number. I am with Scottish Power. I have spoken to one person so far (usually I am out) and I don't believe they are from Scottish Power as they sounded very aggressive and pretended that I had made an order so they were just phoning to arrange fitting. There was no order made by me. Also it smacked of a scam so I refused to verify my details when asked. They refused to verify my details to me so that I could ascertain if they are genuine or not. In the end there was a large sigh at the end of the phone and they hung up. Still no idea if it was a scam or not!
    Originally posted by Bern64
    There are two ways of dealing with this:-
    1) Make a written complaint to Scottish Power on the basis you have received repeated unwanted calls of a distressing nature from someone claiming to represent them. Explain that the nature of the call led you to believe it was part of a confidence trick (scam) and the person calling was unable to satisfactorily allay your concerns, leaving you feeling vulnerable and concerned. Ask them to confirm in writing whether they, or an agent working on their behalf, has been attempting to contact you in this way. (if possible quote times/dates of call(s) and the number the call came from. State that if it is them or an agent contacting you that you wish them to stop doing so in this way and that you would like compensation for the inconvenience and alarm caused.

Alternatively,
    2) The next time the same kind of call happens, ask to be put through to the person's supervisor/line manager. Then ask for the address to write to in order to make a formal written complaint about the way in which these calls have been made. Depending on the response you get, either ask for compensation or else consider actually making the complaint as per (1).

The prospect of having to deal with a complaint and possibly paying out compensation is often sufficient to get companies to modify their behaviour towards you
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Morker
    • By Morker 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Morker
    Smart Water Meters - am I obliged to get one?
    Hi, A friend of mine has been told by the water company (we're in the Yorkshire Water area) that she has to make an appointment to have a smart meter fitted for her water bills. I've heard that there were issues about energy companies writing to customers implying that they have to have one fitted (when in fact they did not) and wondered if this was similar with the water companies.

The reasons why she doesn't want one are quite complex, but one of the reasons is the cupboard where the meter is housed contains what she believes to be brown asbestos (it's an ongoing situation that is not yet resolved with the property agent) but she doesn't want the area dismantled for health reasons).

Has anyone else been told they need to have a water meter? Are they compulsory? Regardless of what the reason is, does my friend have a right to refuse one? Does it make any difference that she is renting (i.e. do the landlords have the final say)?

Apologies for the list of questions, but am struggling to find any conclusive information on the matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter