Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hanginthere
    • By Hanginthere 31st Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Hanginthere
    I'm a wannabe debt-free
    • 31st Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    I'm a wannabe debt-free 31st Oct 17 at 4:16 PM
    Hi

First of all I'd like to thank and appreciate this forum for providing a platform for debt-free wannabes to discuss and get some sort of advise or indication on how to proceed with the never ending quest of a debt-free life.

In 2010 I defaulted on few CCs and Loans. I tried to manage my debts via a debt help company who arranged a monthly payment plan for me with all my debts consolidated into 1 account. During this time I was moving houses and lost control of the payments and mid April 2011 I lost my job and I defaulted of the debt plan as well. From then onward I was basically a vagabond with no permanent address, lost all my paper work. Life got very stressful and in early 2014 I left UK for a year. I cam back in April 2015 and decided to ignore the letters until they become SB.

Last month I got a Notice of Application for "Attachment of Earnings Order" which I ignored. Then I got a "Notice of Transfer of Proceedings" and subsequently 3 weeks ago I got N61 asking me to contact bailiff, amount is just over £900.

Current situation:
    I am not sure which creditor this £900 relates to but I'm sure this can be found out. How?

I'm slowly now getting back on the job and trying to fix broken ends. With that intention I made a CCJ search in my name and found out that I have 2 CCJs. One in Jan 2015 (I was not in UK from May 2014 to April 2015) for an amount just over £5k and one in Feb 2016 for around £700 (which is now the above mentioned £900). I intend to pay this 900 with in a few days as it is urgent before they contact my employer with "Attachment of Earnings Order".

What should I do about the 5k CCJ?

I'm thinking of paying this off as well but I need to make sure I'm paying what is rightfully owed and nothing in excess as I'm going to be asking family for the money. Also does my absence from UK during this CCJ helps me in anyway of getting this removed?

I was young and a fool for letting this get out my hand in the first place and paid an even higher price of wasting 5 years of my life with no progress and a lot stress and depression plus the bloody money is still haunting me.

Any advise on how I should proceed is very much appreciated.

P.S. WOW I feel so relived I've let his out for the first time in 8 years by sharing this on this forum!
Page 2
    • Hanginthere
    • By Hanginthere 7th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Hanginthere
    So I guess no one on here has any idea about setting aside a CCJ by means of negotiating with the creditor?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin