Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 1,791Posts
    • 8,968Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World Support Thread 2017
    • 31st Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World Support Thread 2017 31st Oct 17 at 8:07 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
Page 49
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,832 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news Tweets on your 16
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • tweets
    • By tweets 2nd Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 28,087 Posts
    • 413,964 Thanks
    tweets
    Well done tweets on your new size
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Great news Tweets on your 16
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Was this one in Khaki https://www.tesco.com/direct/ff-shower-resistant-shiny-puffer-coat/707-9012.prd
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • esmy
    • By esmy 2nd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    esmy
    Evening everyone.

Great loss GTS - I think sometimes there seems to be no reason why we lose, STS or gain on a week by week basis. If you are losing overall then it's working! Well done TIE - it's a busy time of year so I'm sure your husbands weeks away will pass in a flash, and he will be home in good time for Christmas.

Welcome Caterina. I do SW on my own now having joined at the start of the year. I had a 12 week countdown but rarely stayed for group - just not my thing - and I find this lovely thread very helpful and supportive - so stay with us whatever you decide. The books are helpful but there are loads of other online groups that you can check out for ideas, syn values etc. I get your struggle with low fat - I was very much a full fat girl till I had to limit fats for health reasons. I've found now that my tastes have changed massively and prefer lower fat cooking, which isn't the same as ready made food described as low fat.

Todays menu
    Lunch out was a bit of a disaster. I ordered chilli thinking it would be served with rice with a side of tortilla chips and soured cream. The chilli came over the tortilla chips, no rice, parmesan shaved on top and a little pot of soured cream (which I left) so no speed and a boatload of syns! It was very tasty...so I reckon that's probably all my syns for the day.

Tomorrow
    B Porridge with 1 tsp of sugar and fruit
    L HM veg fridge bottom soup
    D Roast gammon SW roasties and various veg.
    I've bought some frozen sprouts this week as I'm the only one in the house that likes them and fresh would be wasted. I've not had them before - are they any good??? Oh and thanks to this thread I had swede mash yesterday, instead of potato, done in the micro - singing swede? - delicious with a lot of black pepper.

Love the coat Tweets!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,832 Thanks
    beanielou
    esmy~~not so keen on frozen brussels~~but you might like them.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,832 Thanks
    beanielou
    The coat looks looks lovely & cosy tweets

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 2nd Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 48,863 Posts
    • 598,076 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thats nice
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 5 1/2lb week 37
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 2nd Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 15,025 Posts
    • 186,175 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Do we have to pay again for books?

I had picky tea with pizza

Mines not cant get for love nor apg
    Originally posted by bubbs
    No yogurts in my fridge I got fed up of them
    Originally posted by tweets
    Flip..... I have to admit I am missing FF plain yoghurt, the mullers have a bit of a weird taste, but that is not stopping us making hay!

Tweets, congratulations on achieving skinny minny status with a size 16 whoop whoop, the coat is lovely x
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 2nd Dec 17, 11:38 PM
    • 5,774 Posts
    • 5,549 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    A number of people don't like the Frylight spray but you could spray oil instead and it wouldn't be too many syns.
    Originally posted by maman
    Welcome, Caterina. I'm one of the ones who doesn't use Frylight, but we've got a 'MISTO' spray from Lakeland that you put oil in and then pump to pressurise so it comes out as a spreay. It means you use far less oil when frying something (we use rapeseed oil and I usually allow 2 syns per spray - equivalent to a teaspoon).

Had a bad day today - we're away for a few days so I couldn't weigh myslef this morning - I'll have to skip a week.

I started Ok with a ham salad sandwich for lunch, with extra salad, but then after a long walk succumbed to stopping in a cafe for fish and chips for tea - I know SW say you can skip the chips, strip off the batter and it's free, but I couldn't resist. And I then rounded it off by having a rock cake afterwards too.

So I reckon that's at least 35 syns :-(

Oh well, tomorrow's another day. Will just have to get back on plan tomorrow and try to be extra good for the next week and hope I've not done too much damage.
    Last edited by p00hsticks; 02-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 3rd Dec 17, 9:30 AM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 35,105 Thanks
    joedenise
    You'll be fine pOOhsticks if you work out how many syns you've had since WI and then take from 105 so you know how many syns you have left for the rest of the week. Several people, myself & Maman included, use the 105 syns a week formula all the time. For example if it's been 2 days since WI and you had 10 syns first day and 35 yesterday you've had 45 syns so have 60 syns left for 5 days so 12 syns a day, which should be plenty.

Ended up having a few drinks last night and ended up on 13.5 syns for the day.

Today's plan will be EE:

B - baked oats; mixed frozen winter fruits, pomegranite seeds, quark
    L - all day breakfast spaghetti - from the SW website
    D - SC chicken; roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots & onions; green beans

HEA - milk as usual
    HEB - porridge oats
    Syns - will decide later

Denise
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 3rd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 39,444 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you all for welcomes and suggestions! I am going to enrol next weds with the free membership voucher. If I like the group and the consultant I might stay over the Xmas weeks for encouragement and motivation. I would get the reduced over 60 rate anyway, not that's such a reduction though!

Tomorrow and Tues I am visiting a friend so it's not the right time to start but I've identified a weds morning group near me that might work well. Wish me luck!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 102,399 Thanks
    maman
    Tomorrow and Tues I am visiting a friend so it's not the right time to start but I've identified a weds morning group near me that might work well. Wish me luck!
    Originally posted by Caterina

Of course, caterina, that goes without saying. There's never a good time to start but if this feels right for you then putting it off won't help! The first few weeks can be difficult as there are always non SW friendly things in the freezer and cupboards that need using up (but you could always feed them to your OH!.). On top of that Christmas festivities present their own difficulties although personally I stunned my consultant (and myself!) by losing 5.5 lbs between Christmas and New Year when I was getting to target. I think that was partly because I quickly lost a gain from pre Christmas nibbles and because Christmas itself with roast dinner and LOs and pickles and satsumas can be very SW friendly.

We're off to the pub today to watch the football. It's a lunchtime kick off but we've decided to have a snack and have dinner later. So there will be wine syns (hopefully celebratory) but the food should be OK.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast with HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with something
    D: roast chicken, SW roast potatoes and BNS, swede & carrot mash, cauli, broccoli, cabbage
    Syns: bread 2.5 (I'll be glad when the hand cut loaf is used up), gravy (not sure how I'll make this yet), possible mayo with JP, wine syns.

After today I should be in control (i.e. able to eat very low syn or free) until Thursday after WI.

ETA: I've been thinking about your weightloss plateau bubbs. Do you have any syns other than your 'picky' tea on Saturdays?
    Last edited by maman; 03-12-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 3rd Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 35,105 Thanks
    joedenise
    Change of plan for dinner tonight! The chicken wasn't defrosted enough so now having to be roasted tonight; DH is going to BBQ it (fortunately we have one with a lid so can just use it outside the back door without him getting wet).

I'll roast the potatoes & veg in the Remoska which will save putting the big oven on.

Only ate one of the baked oat muffins for breakfast so will have the other one after dinner for pudding.

Denise
    • mary hinge
    • By mary hinge 3rd Dec 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    mary hinge
    well done guys on the losses! and Tweet I tried on a size 16 coat recently too that fitted and it feels totally amazing! well done!

Morning sickness has really kicked in trying to eat little and often!

B: heB(+2 syns) wm toast with 1 scrambled egg and 1/3 tin of tinned tomatoes (2syns for flora light)

hifi bar (3)
    banana, handful of grapes

mayflower curry and rice with added veggies for speed (4 syns)

3 baby bell light for HeA and maybe a yoghurt and 2 satsumas

Haven't got my head around the 2 heB and 2 heA's yet, not feeling like I need them right now but will bear them in mind in weeks to come or if some days I need more.

Hugs to everyone that needs them

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze
    "You did good Kidda!"
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 3rd Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 15,025 Posts
    • 186,175 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    It was official weigh day, but as I cannot remember exactly what I was I will put 3 lbs down.... it may be 4 lbs... but best to be cautious!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 3rd Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 28,087 Posts
    • 413,964 Thanks
    tweets
    well done guys on the losses! and Tweet I tried on a size 16 coat recently too that fitted and it feels totally amazing! well done!

Morning sickness has really kicked in trying to eat little and often!

B: heB(+2 syns) wm toast with 1 scrambled egg and 1/3 tin of tinned tomatoes (2syns for flora light)

hifi bar (3)
    banana, handful of grapes

mayflower curry and rice with added veggies for speed (4 syns)

3 baby bell light for HeA and maybe a yoghurt and 2 satsumas

Haven't got my head around the 2 heB and 2 heA's yet, not feeling like I need them right now but will bear them in mind in weeks to come or if some days I need more.

Hugs to everyone that needs them

Mrs H x
    Originally posted by mary hinge
    Well done first size 16 coat I bought since before son was born and he 228 lol
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 3rd Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 28,087 Posts
    • 413,964 Thanks
    tweets
    STS please
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 102,399 Thanks
    maman
    Well done first size 16 coat I bought since before son was born and he 228lol
    That's a VERY long time ago!

Had JP in the pub with an odd choice of chicken and mayo topping so a couple of syns for that. Chicken was delicious though. I expected some pre cooked bits but tasted like freshly grilled breast.
    • tweets
    • By tweets 3rd Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 28,087 Posts
    • 413,964 Thanks
    tweets
    That's a VERY long time ago!

Had JP in the pub with an odd choice of chicken and mayo topping so a couple of syns for that. Chicken was delicious though. I expected some pre cooked bits but tasted like freshly grilled breast.
    Don't know what happened there sat here giggling should read 28
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 3rd Dec 17, 7:26 PM
    • 48,863 Posts
    • 598,076 Thanks
    bubbs

ETA: I've been thinking about your weightloss plateau bubbs. Do you have any syns other than your 'picky' tea on Saturdays?
    Not as a rule but never have, i try and have syn free dinners
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 3rd Dec 17, 7:28 PM
    • 48,863 Posts
    • 598,076 Thanks
    bubbs
    It was official weigh day, but as I cannot remember exactly what I was I will put 3 lbs down.... it may be 4 lbs... but best to be cautious!
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    well done
    Well done first size 16 coat I bought since before son was born and he 228 lol
    thats funny
    Well done on sts

Evening all
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin