Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 31st Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 1,804Posts
    • 9,018Thanks
    kathrynha
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World Support Thread 2017
    • 31st Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World Support Thread 2017 31st Oct 17 at 8:07 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
Page 47
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 1st Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 48,894 Posts
    • 598,345 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done Lush and Mary Hinge, great losses there. Hope hospital goes OK Kathryn.

Happy to report 1lb off this week despite yesterdays fail. My best loss in a while so got to keep it up now!

Todays menu as follows:
    B Alpen light and banana
    L 4 crispbreads with 2 light cheese triangles, apple (unexpectedly working so just had to grab something at 6.30)
    D Sausage mash and veg with onion gravy, yoghurt

Tomorrow
    B Bran flakes yog and fruit
    L Don't know yet as lunch out - will do my best!
    D TBC

Have a good weekend all.
    Originally posted by esmy
    well done
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 5 1/2lb week 37
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 1st Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 186,247 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Well done
    SSM how do you know if you have lost if you cant remember what you weighed
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Cus the dial went down.... but I don't know by how much!
    Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 17,132 Posts
    • 102,458 Thanks
    maman
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Down from where? Don't you write it down? What's the dial doing today?

Well done losers!

I had a SW breakfast and then out for lunch. Difficult to decide on syns. It was very 'nouvelle cuisine ' so few calories but that's not the same as syns. I think my best strategy going forward is just to assume a fair few syns used, enjoy my weekend and then keep it low for the rest of the week.

On the way home we stopped off at Aldi so food shopping done for the week. Then Sainsbury's because they have 25% off wine syns!
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 1st Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 7,566 Posts
    • 26,544 Thanks
    Nicki
    The Christmas period may be my downfall. Had a "networking" get together with some friends in the industry today to kick off festivities...

Breakfast: porridge and honey (5 syns, HEA and HEB)
    Lunch: shared starters of crab salad, pear and salsify in truffle oil, smoked salmon, shepherds pie, roasted squash, spinach and half a bottle of champagne, chocolate truffle x 1 and coffee

On plus side don't need dinner tonight. I'm estimating 30 syns today and the same yesterday. I will try and have a good weekend to compensate.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 1st Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 186,247 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Down from where? Don't you write it down? What's the dial doing today?

Originally posted by maman
    I need to write it down. The dial is saying I have hit the half stone mark.... which I am happy about. One stone to go. Bubbs will tell me what I have lost (she writes mine down as she is my better half)..

ps don't tell her hubby!
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 1st Dec 17, 9:07 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 186,247 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    The Christmas period may be my downfall. Had a "networking" get together with some friends in the industry today to kick off festivities...

Breakfast: porridge and honey (5 syns, HEA and HEB)
    Lunch: shared starters of crab salad, pear and salsify in truffle oil, smoked salmon, shepherds pie, roasted squash, spinach and half a bottle of champagne, chocolate truffle x 1 and coffee

On plus side don't need dinner tonight. I'm estimating 30 syns today and the same yesterday. I will try and have a good weekend to compensate.
    Originally posted by Nicki
    I am coming to work with you!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 1st Dec 17, 9:28 PM
    • 48,894 Posts
    • 598,345 Thanks
    bubbs
    Funny you are
    I need to write it down. The dial is saying I have hit the half stone mark.... which I am happy about. One stone to go. Bubbs will tell me what I have lost (she writes mine down as she is my better half)..

ps don't tell her hubby!
    See you are catching me cant remember what you was to start with
    For maman
    Yesterday

Friday fav
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,975 Thanks
    beanielou
    Funny you are

See you are catching me cant remember what you was to start with
    For maman
    Yesterday

Friday fav
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 1st Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    • 48,894 Posts
    • 598,345 Thanks
    bubbs
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Tonights was lush
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 10:03 PM
    • 17,132 Posts
    • 102,458 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for the pics bubbs . Your meals always look amazing. Plenty of Speed too so that's not a problem for you.

I'm starting to feel a bit peckish. I think I'll have raspberries and yogurt.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 1st Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 48,894 Posts
    • 598,345 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thanks for the pics bubbs . Your meals always look amazing. Plenty of Speed too so that's not a problem for you.

I'm starting to feel a bit peckish. I think I'll have raspberries and yogurt.
    Originally posted by maman
    I eat loads of speed, i swapped my meals around last week, cut fruit down and still crap
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 10:30 PM
    • 17,132 Posts
    • 102,458 Thanks
    maman
    I eat loads of speed, i swapped my meals around last week, cut fruit down and still crap
    Results will come eventually. Sometimes we just get stuck in a rut. It's good to try new recipes too. Keep plodding.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 1st Dec 17, 10:51 PM
    • 15,034 Posts
    • 186,247 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    If I was not on a diet, I would be buying and eating a full goats cheese from Waitrose tomorrow.... instead I will have carrots!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,444 Thanks
    Caterina
    Hello, I am toying with the idea of doing SW solo because i don't like groups. I have attended before and like the plan but not the group commitment.

Please can you give me ideas on the best way to go? I'm thinking of joining for 2-3 sessions and then do it alone. Also when I've done it in the past there were 2 each of HEA and HEB but is it true that now it's only one? My main concern is that I struggle on a very low fat diet.

Thank you.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 2nd Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 9,018 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hello, I am toying with the idea of doing SW solo because i don't like groups. I have attended before and like the plan but not the group commitment.

Please can you give me ideas on the best way to go? I'm thinking of joining for 2-3 sessions and then do it alone. Also when I've done it in the past there were 2 each of HEA and HEB but is it true that now it's only one? My main concern is that I struggle on a very low fat diet.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    Welcome to the thread Caterina.

On here we have a mixture of people who go weekly to group, do SW online, or are just going it alone. Also those that vary between the above 3 options. It comes down to what is best for you.

I'm personally a weekly group attender, as I find I need the motivation of going to weigh in weekly, and I have an amazing consultant, which helps lots.

I think if it's a while since you've done it then it would be good to go to a group for a few weeks, get the books, have the new member talk, then decide whether to continue with group or not.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 2nd Dec 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 9,018 Thanks
    kathrynha
    On here on a weekend. Determined to repair some of the damage I've done this week.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - toast
    Lunch - chicken and slaw
    Dinner - Fajita bowl (fajitas, but with rice instead of a wrap)

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - bread
    Syns - butter (2)
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 2nd Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 7,306 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Morning all.

Not been around much as hubby managed to pop a disc in his back, so he’s in agony. I don’t mind playing nursemaid as he hates fuss & doesn’t play on illness - as demonstrated by the fact he didn’t know where the surgery was.

The WI in today showed a very surprising -2lbs though what I did differently this week is anyone’s guess. But I’m taking it & running. I’ve now got 2.5lbs to lose for 4.5 stones & 1 more wi before I go on hols so yes I am taking it to the wire.

Thank you again for your support - can’t tell you how much it meant

X
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 02-12-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 2nd Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 35,133 Thanks
    joedenise

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    Hi Caterina. Welcome to our thread.

I think it's probably best to do as you plan and go to group to have the new member talk and get the books.

It is possible to do SW without using low fat products but they need to be synned. For example if you wanted to use a Tbs of olive oil to cook something for 2 people your portion would be 3 syns as it's 6 syns for a Tbs. Full fat yoghurts also have syns but off the top of my head I've no idea how many but probably about 4 or 5 syns for a small pot.

You get 5-15 syns a day so if you had a full fat yoghurt and used 1/2 Tbs of oil you would have used about half your daily allowance. Hope that's helpful.

You might find it useful to use the 1st post on the thread which outlines the plan. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 2nd Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 17,132 Posts
    • 102,458 Thanks
    maman
    he hates fuss & doesn’t play on illness - as demonstrated by the fact he didn’t know where the surgery was.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Shouldn't laugh as the poor man's in pain but that was amusing.

The WI in today showed a very surprising -2lbs though what I did differently this week is anyone’s guess. But I’m taking it & running. I’ve now got 2.5lbs to lose for 4.5 stones & 1 more wi before I go on hols so yes I am taking it to the wire.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Well done on your loss. Keep a copy of this week's meal plan and you might want to use it again as it worked for you.

welcome caterina. It's perfectly possible to do SW without going to group but I think you're right to go (just once if necessary) and get the books and listen to the introductory talks. I did hear a rumour that there are to be new books in January and often vouchers in magazines so you might want to give it a whirl on your own from info on here and then join in the New Year. Is it possible that you're a vegetarian? The old Green plan had 2 HEAs and 2 HEBs. SW don't advertise it any more but it still works. Denise has explained about fats but it's perfectly possible to do SW and avoid eating yogurts or butter or whatever bothers you. A number of people don't like the Frylight spray but you could spray oil instead and it wouldn't be too many syns. Do ask as many questions as you want and we'll try to answer them.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: LO chicken casserole (minus chicken)
    D: Lamb Rogan Josh with pilau rice, mushrooms and SW chips
    Syns: xtra porage, squirt syrup, curry 1.5

I'll work out my syns properly later and probably have some gin to add to it.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 2nd Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 35,133 Thanks
    joedenise
    Back again with my plan for today. It's a Green day again!

B - 90g bacon (HEB1); egg, beans, mushrooms
    L - pizza using WW wrap (HEB2); tomato (fresh & tinned); tomato puree; herbs; onions, mushrooms; peppers; 50g mozzarella (HEA1); mixed salad dressed with balsamic vinegar
    D - veggie curry/rice - veg mix will be cauliflower; onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes; carrots and anything else suitable in the fridge! Will also stir in some frozen spinach towards the end. Planning on making some syn free baked onion bajhis (new recipe for me from Slimmingeats website if anyone wants the recipe)

According to the online planner that's 30 portions of veg but that includes mushrooms and onions twice!

HEA1 - 50g mozzarella
    HEA2 - milk
    HEB1 - bacon
    HEB2 - WW wrap
    Syns - none so far. Will have alcohol of some sort this evening but not decided what yet as have run out of diet tonic so won't be gin! May have pastis (French equivalent of Pernod) with water so same syns as gin. Definitely helps keeping the syns down.

Ended up on 22 syns last night as went to see a friend and ended up with a small piece of walnut cake (8 syns!)

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,510Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter