Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 10,764Posts
    • 56,364Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and £20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 6
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 22nd Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 23,360 Posts
    • 40,928 Thanks
    ZTD
    Boring budget (think the change to the tax free allowance probably works out as a <1% pay rise next April?)
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    But mostly a tax-cutting budget. When do we traditionally have a tax-cutting budget?

Just before an election - buying popularity and all that...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 22nd Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I was just surprised to see so little in the line of codger pleasing, quite unusual for a Conservative budget.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Have been keeping my head down, making CC payments and finishing off our Christmas shopping. Also very pleased at the arrival of another nephew, taking my uncle-ing duties up to 6

I think we've managed to get all of our presents within budget, albeit a very generous budget that will probably need to be a wee bit more restrained next year.

Work has been a total PITA of late, more politics than I can be bothered with and I have ended up dragged into the mire. I am looking forward to a positive start and moving away from all that in the New Year.

Off to London tomorrow, very excited for a family week away

Then 7 days of work 'til
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,746 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Safe trip and happy holidays!
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 3rd Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 20,082 Thanks
    Watty1
    Happy holidays....and only 7 days of work till Christmas ...wow!!
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 49,063 Posts
    • 182,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy holidays
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 28,185 Posts
    • 155,289 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ed, you're on holibob! Excellent! Hope the freezing units on the ice rinks stay good enough for you to have a little potter about
    Retired August 2016
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 4th Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 36,309 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Codger pleasing! Love it.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 4th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Managed Oxford Street, Covent Garden and have some lovely takeaway sushi for dinner with a few drinkies. Our first family experience of an aparthotel, positive for the most part, but not cheap

Brilliant day tho
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Wah - back from holidays!
    • We had a brilliant time
    • It's bloody hard worker carting a toddler around London
    • London remains expensive!
    • I think we'll give it a couple of years before going back

Our actual spending down there wasn't too horrific (I think about £130 including loads of activities, meals out, inexpensive toys for DD and some Christmas presents). That said, total cost was in the region of £1,400, so need to consider in the world of mindful spending whether that's a cost we are willing to accept for what was a short trip?

Unfortunately the train was 45 minutes late on the way back, but Virg1n have already started a 50% refund for the total cost of the tickets. Not bad, we got 3 people to London and back in 1st Class for £37

In the realm of making more money, Mrs E has sent over a job that I probably have 2/3 of the required skills for. It's another local government post (pay grade starts lower than I get now, but tops out higher). Does it look bad that I'd consider applying for a new job 5 months into a new job after spending 6 years elsewhere? This looks like more of a solo professional role, so probably better scope to make something for myself...

£0.60 paid off CC.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 08-12-2017 at 2:01 PM.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 8th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 20,082 Thanks
    Watty1

In the realm of making more money, Mrs E has sent over a job that I probably have 2/3 of the required skills for. It's another local government post (pay grade starts lower than I get now, but tops out higher). Does it look bad that I'd consider applying for a new job 5 months into a new job after spending 6 years elsewhere? This looks like more of a solo professional role, so probably better scope to make something for myself...
    No. If you look good on paper they will interview you and you can explain. And if they don't like that, then they wont interview you so nothing lost. Go for it
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 8th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    [*]It's bloody hard worker carting a toddler around London
    We did it once...never again! Especially now that one toddler has developed into 3!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
    • fiona100
    • By fiona100 8th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    fiona100
    Go for the job - nothing to lose. I answered an ad recently, sent in the application form, got invited to interview, felt like I had waffled the entire time in the interview, yet two days later got offered the job..

I am thinking about going back to London at some point next year.. I usually use the Youth Hostel system. There are 8 just in the YHA (but there are other groups as well). I only know the YHA and SYHA, but there if you go for a dorm a night would cost approx. £20!! (YES EVEN IN LONDON!!) and there are family rooms or smaller rooms available too (slightly higher price) and some even have single rooms too..

When I visit a place I want to do things, not pay for the walls I rarely see.

Cheers fiona100
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    When I visit a place I want to do things, not pay for the walls I rarely see.
    Originally posted by fiona100
    Some of the YHA properties are very central, cracking deals to be had.

I hear those sentiments a lot, but we don't travel all that often. When we do (particularly with a young child), you do end up spending a reasonable amount of time in your room, whether you like it or not. On that basis, I have no qualms spending a bit more for something less basic
    Last edited by edinburgher; 08-12-2017 at 2:33 PM.
    • Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 8th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 2,901 Thanks
    Bluefire
    We did Airbnb the last time we visited London. Paid about £240 for 3 nights in a flat a 5 minute walk from Shepherds Bush station. I find it makes all the difference actually having a sofa to sit on rather than a bed and a kitchen for breakfast in the morning. Rather enjoyed it compared to our usual Premier In.
    Mortgage: £28,896.49 £549.33
    MF Date:
    November 2041 December 2017
    MFW 2015 #110: £13,867/£13,000 (100%)
    MFW 2016 #110: £2380/£2308 (100%)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 18,088 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Oh my word Greying Pilgrim smuggetty smug smug smugness - this phrase is definitely going in my filing system for future use. Love it!

See what I missed? MIA for what seems like weeks as the world of work goes on towards chaos and insanity
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £9,260.94 saved (84.19%) after October - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 78.56% including stores after October
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 28,185 Posts
    • 155,289 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Some of the YHA properties are very central, cracking deals to be had.

I hear those sentiments a lot, but we don't travel all that often. When we do (particularly with a young child), you do end up spending a reasonable amount of time in your room, whether you like it or not. On that basis, I have no qualms spending a bit more for something less basic
    It's a sensible idea - when my brother, my sister and I were in Norfolk to see our sick rellie recently, we rented a whole 3 bed house, which did exactly what you're describing, instead of 3 nondescript hotel bedrooms. No idea what airbnb prices are like in London though. In the past, when I was working in London and wanted to get a very early start to a journey up north, I stayed in a few odd hotels - found one with a kitchen in the room just outside London Victoria but it wasn't, how shall I say, somewhere I'd take a child
    Retired August 2016
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 10th Dec 17, 4:50 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    You're mental taking a toddler to London so near to Christmas!

£1400? You could have gone abroad for that, surely!

Go for the job...what have you got to lose?!
    Original debt to source: £11,639.02; debt repaid: £5174.02 (44%); remaining debt: £6465.00.
    0% CC balance: £4888.05 (was £5000).

Terrimundi: £4.00

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Dec 17, 8:43 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 56,364 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Thanks PB - I think mental sums it up pretty well - was pretty much ok apart from having to deadlift her between Monument and Bank

We could have gone abroad, but that wouldn't have been London

We have had a lovely weekend! Tree and outside lights up yesterday with a Christmas movie in the evening and off to visit my grandparents today. DD in a great mood and I even managed to find time to go to my local running shop and get some gait analysis this morning. I am now decked out with suitable running shoes
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 10th Dec 17, 9:17 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    We could have gone abroad, but that wouldn't have been London
    True dat, but it always seems so disproportionately expensive! Still, if you enjoyed it, t'was worth it.

Glad to hear you have your tree up...mine isn't going up until mid-weeks. I have a cat now, so I'm not sure how this is going to go!

P.S. What books were you reading when you were doing your FI course, please?
    Original debt to source: £11,639.02; debt repaid: £5174.02 (44%); remaining debt: £6465.00.
    0% CC balance: £4888.05 (was £5000).

Terrimundi: £4.00

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

5,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin