Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 10,818Posts
    • 57,067Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and £20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 10
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 23,490 Posts
    • 41,407 Thanks
    ZTD
    Whilst I suffer no guilt re. environment, I think people are far too quick to throw things away, sometimes due to (perceived) efficiency / environmental issues. Personally, I think materials ending up on landfill sites prematurely is worse than running something slightly less efficient for longer.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Yep, I'd agree with that. Scrappage schemes annoy me no end...

Anyhow, what's a square sausage?
    It's what happens when you frequent some of the less salubrious pubs in Glasgow...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 6th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 10,818 Posts
    • 57,067 Thanks
    edinburgher
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Jan 18, 11:45 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 31,056 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Yep, I'd agree with that. Scrappage schemes annoy me no end...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I think scrappage schemes are more about kick starting the economy than saving the environment.

It's what happens when you frequent some of the less salubrious pubs in Glasgow...
    Originally posted by ZTD

Thanks, Ed.

Does a Scottish breakfast not include bacon or eggs?
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 10,818 Posts
    • 57,067 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I'd expect both Alex. The principle differences would be no beans and the likely inclusion of square sausage in a Scottish breakfast
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,672 Thanks
    beanielou
    I now want a full Scottish breakfast.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,672 Thanks
    beanielou
    Z. I thought you liked cats.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 7th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 29,012 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You a proper Chemist ZTD?

Ed how is my virtual Goddaughter?
    Last edited by smallholdingsister; 07-01-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 28,379 Posts
    • 158,119 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I am learning about all these things, but am not happy to accept the naysayers who claim that everything is China's fault, there's no point as the planet is !!!!ed anyway and that something something smartarse reason as to why we should do nothing and basically ignore the fact that we're drowning in our own junk This is a journey for us and while I've been happy with some things we've achieved (solar panels, greatly reduced electricity and gas usage, mebbe 80% recycling of waste), I don't think we're doing enough.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Totally agree!

Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yep, enquiring minds want to know
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 23,490 Posts
    • 41,407 Thanks
    ZTD
    Z. I thought you liked cats.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    "Cat" in the context of "Cat cracking" is short for "Catalytic".

No felines are harmed in the process...

You a proper Chemist ZTD?
    Nope, nor do I play one on TV. Though I sometimes do things with ethanol...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 10,818 Posts
    • 57,067 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Yep, enquiring minds want to know
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    She is virtually perfect in every way! Happy, healthy, beautiful and far too smart for her years.

We are potty training, a lot of laundry is being done

£2.62 paid off CC, and today's bargain was Morrison's giving away free beans!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 31,056 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I'd expect both Alex. The principle differences would be no beans and the likely inclusion of square sausage in a Scottish breakfast
    Based my question on the wikipedia link.

I keep threatening to take Mrs. K. on holiday to the Scottish highlands but think we would have to be there for around 10 days or so as it is so far to travel.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 28,379 Posts
    • 158,119 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Alex, my niece in law comes from just outside Edinburgh, and when they were planning the wedding, flying up there just for the weekend was a regular thing - so for a week, it would almost definitely be a good thing
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 10,818 Posts
    • 57,067 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I find it funny that Alex treats the Highlands like my FIL treats long distance holidays

Come on man, if I can drive Glasgow to Broadstairs and hate driving, you'll be fine!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 31,056 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Karmacat, if we were to fly we would need to hire a car and couldn't take our dog, so I don't think that would work, unfortunately.

Ed, it's over nine hours according to google. That's not going to take lunch, dinner and other stops into account. The last time we went to Cornwall, we spent an evening in Bristol on the way there and two evenings near the Haynes Motor Museum (can't remember where) on the way back and 10 or 11 days in Cornwall which worked well. I'd do something similar if we go to Scotland.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 7th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 18,522 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Although the initial feedstock is crude oil, that oil is broken down into gasses (via "cat cracking"), and it's these gasses which are used for the industrial production of plastics.

The plastics (polymers) are made by joining together the monomers in long chains, so starting with ethene, you end up with what should be called polyethene, but is polythene, as well as propene, you end up with polypropene - there's loads of others, but you see how that goes.

If you were to invent a enzyme to break them back up at some sort of rational temperature (you can break them up right now by setting fire to them), the easy severing of a carbon-carbon bond would lead to all sorts of problems. The carbon-carbon bond holding plastics together, is the same one which holds carbohydrates together, which holds fats together, which holds lignin together and which holds protein/flesh together.

Such an enzyme would dissolve all carbon-based life into goo.

That's not good (IMHO).
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I don't think we were necessarily thinking of either a single enzyme or a single type of plastic. I understand that the plastics' structural integrity degrades each time it is recycled (i.e. the long chains you describe, get shorter) and we were talking through what end-state or single use plastics could then be used in; latest discussion is around their inclusion in concrete (which has, after all, been a capture mechanism for all sorts of building carp over the years). Or combined with asphalt or other road surfaces. Alternatives to dumping and toxic disposal. Have you considered any options?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - my annual target is £10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 budget of £3,500 including stores
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 7th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 18,522 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I find it funny that Alex treats the Highlands like my FIL treats long distance holidays

Come on man, if I can drive Glasgow to Broadstairs and hate driving, you'll be fine!
    We drive from Suffolk to the Scottish Highlands every year. Normally we leave on a Friday after work so we stay somewhere like N Yorks but it depends how far north we are staying. This year we are in the Cairngorms so might do it in a day, with a bit of an early start. Have not decided yet.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 42.67% after Q7 £5,465 behind where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - my annual target is £10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 budget of £3,500 including stores
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 23,490 Posts
    • 41,407 Thanks
    ZTD
    I don't think we were necessarily thinking of either a single enzyme or a single type of plastic. I understand that the plastics' structural integrity degrades each time it is recycled (i.e. the long chains you describe, get shorter)
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    No, not really. Plastic recycling consists of melt and reform which provided you don't "cook" the plastic can go on forever. Even if the chains did shorten (as they do in the environment as UV and other "weathering" takes its toll), it usually doesn't make that much difference outside of high impact uses such as body armour and rope - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene

The degradation usually consists of contaminants gradually accumulating, and showing up visually. You wouldn't want a brown skid mark showing in your new bottle of water for example. In "fake wood" park bench however, nobody cares.

and we were talking through what end-state or single use plastics could then be used in; latest discussion is around their inclusion in concrete (which has, after all, been a capture mechanism for all sorts of building carp over the years).
    And Italians in sharp suits and violin cases.

Or combined with asphalt or other road surfaces. Alternatives to dumping and toxic disposal. Have you considered any options?
    Yes, I've already covered 3.

There are ways of getting rid of plastic, but since they don't involve feeling "involved", they're not sexy and not mentioned.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_roads
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Plastic bags can be easily recycled into fire, and onwards to electricity which can be used all over the house.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    And not just the bags, other plastics as well. Also works on "mylar" and glass reinforced stuff as well, though you have a ash problem to work on.

And this is reuse, rather than recycling.

Well in a masterstroke of poor timing, someone developed bins specifically designed to use carrier bage just before the announcement.

They're still around, but at 5p per shot, I won't be partaking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271979308378
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I'm sure there are many, many other completely nonviable schemes, along with rent-seekers soliciting for subsidies - but I won't be suggesting those...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 23,490 Posts
    • 41,407 Thanks
    ZTD
    We drive from Suffolk to the Scottish Highlands every year. Normally we leave on a Friday after work so we stay somewhere like N Yorks but it depends how far north we are staying. This year we are in the Cairngorms so might do it in a day, with a bit of an early start. Have not decided yet.
    Well from here (North East), it's about 5-6 hours south to the south coast (assuming the M25 behaves) and about 2-3 hours up to Edinburgh/Glasgow.

The difficulty I found in the wilds of Scotland (I went to Oban a couple of years ago) is that "things which are not scenery" are pretty far apart from one another and it takes a long time to go from one thing to another.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 31,056 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I think you'd be really lucky to drive from the North East to the south coast in 5-6 hours. I'd say it would take that long to drive to the south coast from here (Derbyshire Dales).

Good point re. the wilds of Scotland. I had suspected so. However, I think that would be OK if we had decided to go for a dog walking holiday. This year my wife is keen to have more than one holiday (which isn't the Spanish apartment) and I am keen for our main summer holiday to be a tour to the South of France, so going away for about 3 weeks or so. I am probably going to give in and take her to London for her birthday as she has been talking about this quite a lot and I appreciate sometimes you have to make compromises. So if we're having a holiday in Scotland it leaves likely dates being Easter (close to wife's birthday, though), May or October. Think it would be rather cold during Easter and October. Alternatively, we have our main summer holiday in Scotland the year after.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 23,490 Posts
    • 41,407 Thanks
    ZTD
    I think you'd be really lucky to drive from the North East to the south coast in 5-6 hours. I'd say it would take that long to drive to the south coast from here (Derbyshire Dales).
    I've done it before, on a number of occasions. By "South Coast" - I mean mostly the Brighton side (not Cornwall ). Though I did set out after work, so got there just before midnight. Usually (though not always ) the M25 has calmed down, and the M23 likewise.

So if we're having a holiday in Scotland it leaves likely dates being Easter (close to wife's birthday, though), May or October. Think it would be rather cold during Easter and October. Alternatively, we have our main summer holiday in Scotland the year after.
    I don't find Scotland all that cold out of the wind (YMMV), but it does tend to be wet for me.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,609Posts Today

9,048Users online

Martin's Twitter