Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 29th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 7,641Posts
    • 6,723Thanks
    The Deep
    Matrimonial Home Rights Order
    • 29th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    Matrimonial Home Rights Order 29th Oct 17 at 1:15 PM
    Two days before my offer on a house was accepted in mid August, the vendor's wife placed a charge on the title deeds. The vendor would have been informed of this within five days by the Land Registry but never informed me. I only learned of this when I received a copy of the Register of Title last Friday.

The vendor completed a property information form on 5th October which I also received last Friday in which he declared that no-one had a claim over the property.

I have since spent over £1200 on surveys, searches, etc. this month which I would not have done if the vendor had informed me in a timely manner of this charge.

I have asked my solicitor to make enquiries as to the vendor's wife's intentions, but foresee delays in completion and the possibility of my buyer withdrawing.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Page 2
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 7,641 Posts
    • 6,723 Thanks
    The Deep
    Thank you, but I am used to it. If you look at some of the stuff we get on the private parking board you will see my point.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 7,901 Posts
    • 8,494 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Maybe i missed it but did you explain why you pulled out of the purchase? As on the face of it the most likely thing to happen was that when you bought the house the money was distributed in a different way than was originally envisaged but that wouldn't affect you.

Or was it that because of the charge the vendor now was unable to proceed with his onward purchase and you knew this and therefore your purchase was going to fall through?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    unforeseen
    An MRO prevents the sale without the other person's permission. And I'm guessing other person won't give permission until there is agreement on what share they get.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 7,641 Posts
    • 6,723 Thanks
    The Deep
    .. . Or was it that because of the charge the vendor now was unable to proceed with his onward purchase and you knew this and therefore your purchase was going to fall through?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I did not pull out, a HRN scuppers the transaction. AFAIAA the vendor had no onward purchase.

Luckily the move is still on track as I was able to find another house.
    Last edited by The Deep; 08-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

2,312Users online

Martin's Twitter