Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 29th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 9,847Posts
    • 14,938Thanks
    melbury
    Fleas
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    Fleas 29th Oct 17 at 10:07 AM
    I treated our dog with Frontline nearly three weeks ago and he still has fleas and is continually scratching/biting/licking.

I always used Frontline on our other dogs and never had a flea problem, but see that many people are saying Frontline doesn't work anymore.

I am going to order some Advantage today, as that has very good reviews.

Does anyone know if is okay to change over from Frontline to Advantage provided that I wait for a full month since using the Frontline? I don't want to overdose him on chemicals

I have also ordered a product called Aromesse to try and ease the itching for the next week and a bit.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 1
    • borkid
    • By borkid 29th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    borkid
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    I'm not sure if it's the same with dogs but with cats if they have fleas you also need to treat the furnishings in the house, upholstery, carpets and animal bedding, basically anywhere the fleas can hide.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 29th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 29th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    It's probably different for dogs but I have a cat and found Advocate better than Advantage - Advantage seemed to irritate my cat's skin and made a little patch of fur fall out, but Advocate seems to cause her fewer problems (and less whinging when I apply it!) I switched from one to the other by just using it at the normal time, I don't think there'll be an issue if you do that as they're both designed to be monthly treatments.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 31st Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 9,345 Posts
    • 14,012 Thanks
    chucknorris
    • 31st Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 31st Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    I treated our dog with Frontline nearly three weeks ago and he still has fleas and is continually scratching/biting/licking.

I always used Frontline on our other dogs and never had a flea problem, but see that many people are saying Frontline doesn't work anymore.

I am going to order some Advantage today, as that has very good reviews.

Does anyone know if is okay to change over from Frontline to Advantage provided that I wait for a full month since using the Frontline? I don't want to overdose him on chemicals

I have also ordered a product called Aromesse to try and ease the itching for the next week and a bit.
    Originally posted by melbury
    I'm in a sort of similar situation, my wife forgot to his administer frontline, we usually do so monthly, although it is supposed to last longer. I think that it might have been as long as 2 months before I noticed fleas on our dog.

I rang the vet, and they said we should switch to Advantage anyway, when I said that I had just administered frontline (on the Friday), they said it would be OK to use Advantage on the Monday. But we didn't do that (I was still concerned) what we did do was:

1. Gave him Johnsons 4fleas tablets (available over the counter at most large pet shops), they killed the fleas on him (but don't offer ongoing preventative protection). But they can be used in addition to frontline. It was really good at killing them, but we did also give him a tablet for the following 2 days, as we spotted the odd flea on him (which had probably had hopped onto him after the first tablet usefulness had expired.

2. We immediately hoovered our carpets and soft furnishings (low level) and spayed with a spray that kills adult, larvae and other stages of the fleas's life cycle, and continues to do so for a few weeks. You need to do this because 95% of an infestation is off the dog.The spay is also available at most good pet shops (make sure you get a one that kills all stages of the fleas life cycle, not just adult fleas).

We will be switching to Advantage, but I have a years supply of frontline, so I may switch intermittently (subject to the shelf life of our frontline) and also check that there are no issues with changing from one to another.
    Last edited by chucknorris; 31-10-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • melbury
    • By melbury 2nd Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 9,847 Posts
    • 14,938 Thanks
    melbury
    • 2nd Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2nd Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    I'm in a sort of similar situation, my wife forgot to his administer frontline, we usually do so monthly, although it is supposed to last longer. I think that it might have been as long as 2 months before I noticed fleas on our dog.

I rang the vet, and they said we should switch to Advantage anyway, when I said that I had just administered frontline (on the Friday), they said it would be OK to use Advantage on the Monday. But we didn't do that (I was still concerned) what we did do was:

1. Gave him Johnsons 4fleas tablets (available over the counter at most large pet shops), they killed the fleas on him (but don't offer ongoing preventative protection). But they can be used in addition to frontline. It was really good at killing them, but we did also give him a tablet for the following 2 days, as we spotted the odd flea on him (which had probably had hopped onto him after the first tablet usefulness had expired.

2. We immediately hoovered our carpets and soft furnishings (low level) and spayed with a spray that kills adult, larvae and other stages of the fleas's life cycle, and continues to do so for a few weeks. You need to do this because 95% of an infestation is off the dog.The spay is also available at most good pet shops (make sure you get a one that kills all stages of the fleas life cycle, not just adult fleas).

We will be switching to Advantage, but I have a years supply of frontline, so I may switch intermittently (subject to the shelf life of our frontline) and also check that there are no issues with changing from one to another.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    Thanks, I have just ordered some Advantage.

It will be a month on Wednesday since we used the Frontline, so will apply the Advantage then and hope it works and doesn't cause him any problems.

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 38,022 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 3rd Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 3rd Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    Thanks, I have just ordered some Advantage.

It will be a month on Wednesday since we used the Frontline, so will apply the Advantage then and hope it works and doesn't cause him any problems.
    I would contact the provider of the Advantage and just check that you aren't overdosing him on nasty chemicals as that might be very harmful. (Or phone your vet!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • melbury
    • By melbury 5th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 9,847 Posts
    • 14,938 Thanks
    melbury
    • 5th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    I would contact the provider of the Advantage and just check that you aren't overdosing him on nasty chemicals as that might be very harmful. (Or phone your vet!)
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I asked the supplier(PDO) and also many people have used it even sooner after using Frontline and say no problem.

He is pretty miserable scratching/biting/licking all the time, so it will be a relief to get rid of the fleas - fingers crossed.

• Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 23rd Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:17 AM
    My Yorkie has a terrible problem with fleas, and we have 3 cats also, so it can be a nightmare keeping on top of it all!

If i see fleas this is my usual course of action:
    - bath the dog straight away with a flea shampoo. give them a good scrub to detach any that are clinging on.
    -hoover all carpets, stairs, sofa ect that they use.
    -chuck bedding/blankets ect in a hot wash
    -spray anything i cant wash with a flea killer spray

And to help with the skin complain side of it, a nice little doggy massage with some coconut oil works wonders!
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 23rd Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9,345 Posts
    • 14,012 Thanks
    chucknorris
    • 23rd Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    My Yorkie has a terrible problem with fleas, and we have 3 cats also, so it can be a nightmare keeping on top of it all!

If i see fleas this is my usual course of action:
    - bath the dog straight away with a flea shampoo. give them a good scrub to detach any that are clinging on.
    -hoover all carpets, stairs, sofa ect that they use.
    -chuck bedding/blankets ect in a hot wash
    -spray anything i cant wash with a flea killer spray

And to help with the skin complain side of it, a nice little doggy massage with some coconut oil works wonders!
    Originally posted by Katapolt
    We are still dealing with fleas, although he (our dog) seems to be clear, or at least only one or two every few days, we are still being bitten. So we have had to re-do the house (spraying/washing etc.), we are beginning to realise that this might take some time.

For the long term I have gone to 'belt and braces' we now use Program' (which perverts fleas from breading) on top of the Frontline (spot on treatment). I think we might switch to 'Advantage' soon (for the pot on treatment).
    Last edited by chucknorris; 23-11-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • pawsies
    • By pawsies 25th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 2,800 Thanks
    pawsies
    If you plan to get advantage I suggest you order it this weekend while it's going cheap.

http://www.petshop.co.uk/Brand/Advantage
    • melbury
    • By melbury 26th Nov 17, 10:35 AM
    • 9,847 Posts
    • 14,938 Thanks
    melbury
    We are still dealing with fleas, although he (our dog) seems to be clear, or at least only one or two every few days, we are still being bitten. So we have had to re-do the house (spraying/washing etc.), we are beginning to realise that this might take some time.

For the long term I have gone to 'belt and braces' we now use Program' (which perverts fleas from breading) on top of the Frontline (spot on treatment). I think we might switch to 'Advantage' soon (for the pot on treatment).
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    Haven't seen one on him for a while, but he is still scratching quite a bit. I read that it can take a couple of months for the fleas around the house to jump aboard and get wiped out. I look on him as a flea killing machine on legs now

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 26th Nov 17, 1:07 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    sheramber
    He can be picking up new fleas every time he goes out.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 26th Nov 17, 1:15 PM
    • 5,369 Posts
    • 11,024 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    . I look on him as a flea killing machine on legs now
    He is, thats how it works.

Many people when cats get fleas think the answer is to keep the cat outside for as long as possible until the fleas go, its not, its the other way round, you need to keep the treated animal in the house as much as possible.
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 3rd Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 21,188 Posts
    • 23,273 Thanks
    dogcat
    I had terrible problems with fleas on my two rescue mioritic shepherds. I tried everything. Advantage, frontline, Johnson’s......tried garlic capsules, salt, vinegar...you name it. We had fleas everywhere. I was at my wits end.

In the end I took them to the vets.....they were given a huge chewable tablet each....and spray for the whole house. Wow what a difference! Why didn’t I do that in the first place! .
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 3rd Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    My vet is insistent that the ONLY thing that works anymore is Advocate.
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 5th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 21,188 Posts
    • 23,273 Thanks
    dogcat
    My vet is insistent that the ONLY thing that works anymore is Advocate.
    Originally posted by Soph1988
    My vet told me off the shelf stuff doesnít work.....I tend to agree with her.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Dec 17, 7:21 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    Kim_13
    My vet told me off the shelf stuff doesnít work.....I tend to agree with her.
    Originally posted by dogcat
    Certainly seems to be the case here, especially if the dog is allergic to fleas as one of ours is. He needed two chewable tabs from the vet vs one for the other dog.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 18,825 Posts
    • 43,390 Thanks
    peachyprice

In the end I took them to the vets.....they were given a huge chewable tablet each....and spray for the whole house. Wow what a difference! Why didn’t I do that in the first place! .
    Originally posted by dogcat
    I had the tablet for 2 of my cats, they really do work, much better than any drops, but one of them is a biatch cat from hell when you try to catch her, so this time the vet gave me Bravecto, it's drops that last 3 months, not cheap and only available on prescription, but my vet are doing buy 3 get 4th one free, Works wonders.

I use advantage on the other 3 cats who don't have skin/fur problems, works just fine, but I do use Acclaim spray all over the house regularly.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter