Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,481Posts
    • 17,330Thanks
    misstara
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge
    • 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge 28th Oct 17 at 6:43 PM
    Welcome to the November NST challenge. November is probably one of my favourite months of the year - I love being all cosied up in warm clothes, all the leaves coming off the trees, the anticipation of Christmas coming up and even the dark nights, however, I know that many people dread this time of year so part of this challenge is to do with looking after your mental health.

November is a good time to have a bit of clear out and have a bonfire. I'm not asking you to actually have a bonfire but have a look through and see if there's anything that can be ebayed or put to the charity shop. November is also bonfire night. Most local councils put on a fireworks display so if you can, go along to watch.

November rules
    NSDs- set your own NSD target of over 12. As usual, household bills, medical expenses, budgeted travel expenses and ys items are exempt as long as that's all you spend.
    Organise - set your budgets now, pay to your debt/savings first. Organise any social things now, try and keep them low cost or free if possible. Look at your food budget, is there any savings to be made?
    Value for money - for all your purchases during November, I want you to ask yourself if you are getting value for your money. Look round for better deals, can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
    Exercise - I know the weather is getting colder and miserable but try to get outdoors for a bit each day even if just for 10 minutes. If you already do quite a lot of exercise, try something different. Go a different route when out walking/running or try a different gym class.
    Mental health - think of all the things you do to keep good mental health or strategies you have in place to combat poor mental health. As the long nights draw in, it can have an impact so try and do something daily to keep good mental health.
    Be Christmas ready - in October mothernerd encouraged us to get organised for Christmas so hopefully most of you are already pretty organised but for those you aren't (me!), start organising now. Plan who you are buying for, what you're buying and the budget. Can you add a few items of food to your weekly shop to spread the cost?
    Eat well - at this time of year, I tend to eat more stodgy food and there's always yummy snacks to be had so this month I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat better. If you already do this, pick another area to work on this month.
    Report - post daily if you can with a list of three things that you are grateful for.
    Last edited by misstara; 28-10-2017 at 9:55 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
Page 33
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 30th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    'drink Bailey's' 'Wear Christmas Jumper' 'Do Christmas baking' and 'listen to Christmas music'
    Oh, I really like that - especially the Baileys
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 30th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 6,635 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dd's taekwondo teacher, for the joy of seeing snow flurries coming down, for good walking, for good chats with colleagues, for sensible chats with y11s, for dh getting through a tough day, for leftovers for tea, for strongmen on the tv (2 hours of it tonight ), for finding a cyclamen for my mum and hyacinths for my secret santa which I can posh up.

I have not mae my target of 17 NSDs but I'll admit I wasn't really trying! 16 is a pretty decent effort though .

I ended the month with £27 in my account, which is for me, but I need to claim a few 100s in expenses, which explains it.

Cmas is getting there. We are having roast chicken at dh's request.

I am cutting the food budget for Dec by 10% to aim to use things up. The only thing is that I cannot scrimp on dd's food.

Florence - congrats on getting a job
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 30

NSD - 15/18 - Glad I hit the 15 but that is all I will get.
    Food - £124.00/£100 This month is a write off!
    Exercise - 9/20
    Studying - 17/25
    Clear out - 17/30
    Extra income - £116.47/£100

I have failed miserably this month. I am ready for December though! Today I spent a small fortune but I have now completely finished all of my Christmas shopping!
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 30th Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Do we a december thread xx
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 30th Nov 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 22,330 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Busy day. Took 10 packets of biscuits and 10 tins/packets to the foodbank, carried on to the doctor's surgery to order a repeat prescription. Receptionist said it would be ready after 4pm (usually next day). Sat down to have a drink from my bag and caught the little bus back home - bought an anybus ticket because 3 trips to surgery and back would have cost more.

Early lunch, packed the snowflakes I cut last night, finished off a wreath - Rudoph's nose kept falling off so we couldn't turn it over to put Santa and the snowman on the other side, made another base for a wreath, completed my homework, did an on-line order for 6 bras (the alternative would have been going late night shopping in the city and apparently they now have armed policemen) and went to CBT - handed over the snowflakes and completed wreath.

CBT was good, I should get something from the process, my happy list is coming along nicely (Christmas music, sad music and some of the better 80's classics last night) and I am trying to include them in every day and add to them. Phoned mum to see if she wanted to meet me in town to get her holiday shopping done (no) so bus hopped and then caught the infirmary bus.

Prescription was half ready - had been printed in 2 halves and one was missing. Finally printed off another and took it to the doctor for him to sign. Doctor's printer had left big black line down the centre (is that still a toner issue). Took it to the pharmacy downstairs. They weren't filling prescriptions - could leave it but it would be morning before I could have it.

Sat down to have a drink, thinking of pharmacies which would still be open (mostly SM ones). Went across to wait for the little bus, had a rambling conversation with an old man. Someone had told him the last bus had gone so I checked and we were okay. I asked where he lived (was considering a taxi for us both as it was very cold). I asked hm if there was a pharmacy in Morries (no). Then he said there was one directly facing Morries and he thought it was open until 6pm, but possibly no bus back. Bus arrived as we were about to turn into icicles and I asked the driver about the last bus back (infirmary/ doctor's and the Sport's Village are the ends of the route).

Took my chances, went nearly to the end of the route, crossed over to the pharmacy, got my prescription items. Bought a M*rs bar (cold and very hungry by now). Two minutes past 5pm and the driver had said the last bus was at 25 past. Dashed in Morries, ys sandwich, yoghurt for breakfasts, small salad box packed to the brim, bread and milk for mum. Paid and went to stand at the bus stop, checked the time on the receipt. Spent 12 minutes doing half jacks and moving from one foot to the other and bringing the other foot up behind the knee to keep warm.

Bus came (hooray), got off at the bus station and walked home. Have a lot I want to do yet but may have used all todays spoons.

Today I am grateful for buses and helpful drivers (they mostly are), for craft projects turning out well and most of all a very big thank you to misstara for this month's challenge.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 409/2017
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 30th Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    • 6,635 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Do we a december thread xx
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    It's called Debt Destruction December. Can someone post a link as my tablet won't play ball!
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 30th Nov 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    misstara
    Last check in for the month

NSDs - 16/18 today, didn't quite meet my target but not too bad.

Organise - under budget for food but over budget for social so I guess it evens out.

Value for money - nothing spent today but thought out my purchases during the month.

Exercise - none today, overall for month could have done better.

Mental health - generally good over the month.

Be Christmas ready - started but still a long way to go.

Eat well - so so, could have done better

Report - didn't report every day but most days, today I'm grateful for the snow (love snow ), feeling better (awful stomach issues earlier) and a chat with my dad.

Thanks to everyone for joining the challenge, see you in December's thread
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 30th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 19,545 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    misstara -Thanks for the challenge.
    NSD - 14/20
    Organise - Sorted out a few more things in the flat for the hospital bed to be delivered.
    Mental health - Tired but at least no more trips to the hospital.
    Am content with the month considering the circumstances.
    Grateful for:
    My Mum finally home from the hospital.
    The help from hospital staff for my Mum's discharge.
    Achieving as much as I could this month.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 4/15 Food/household budget £32.55/£150
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 30th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 24,338 Thanks
    Fmess
    Thanks for the challenge misstara , sorry I've been so lax at posting. I must do better next month.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 30th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    bizzie
    Checking in for the last time this month. Started well then many things happened which meant my focus was elsewhere. Slowly dealing with each item and hopefully now light at the end of the tunnel getting closer I can draw a line under the month and move on.
    Hope everyone has a successful / positive December.
    Groceries 168.48/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 5/15 @ 10/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 1st Dec 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 22,330 Thanks
    mothernerd
    It's called Debt Destruction December. Can someone post a link as my tablet won't play ball!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5750549
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 409/2017
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 1st Dec 17, 12:06 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 29/30 pleased I only missed one check in

NSDs:13/15 that's the total for a very spendy month, not too bad but could do better!

Organise:None done today but will get a little done tomorrow. Got the car back late morning so very happy to have wheels

Value for money - Car bill was £50 cheaper than predicted - thank goodness!!

Exercise - loads of walking, good job as lunch was delicious

Mental health - Fine thanks

Be Christmas ready - bought just one more decoration..

Eat well - Lovely meal at Harvey Nicks treat from DH for my birthday, it was so expensive though....yikes!! And I guess not specially healthy either

Gratitudes - Getting car back from friendly local garage man, bill being less than expected, beautiful lights in town, delicious meal out, DH running us there & fetching us so no need to go on the train, December tomorrow!!

Thanks KerryWoman, such a shame for DD to have the day go wrong for us, and dreadful customer service. They've lost future business from us & our friends. And they will get a poor review as well..

Many thanks for running the challenge MissTara , see you all on the December thread!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 1st Dec 17, 6:23 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    I finished the month on 9 NSD, short of the 12 :/
    I will hit target next month, for which I was far more organised !
    Big thank you to misstara for running the thread.
    Debt Busting December NST #3 | NSD 4/15 |
    I can do this!
    • Timetopullmysocksup
    • By Timetopullmysocksup 2nd Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Timetopullmysocksup
    Hi guys,

Haven't posted since Tuesday I think, this week went tits up! So someone went into the back of me on Wednesday, no damage but shook up by the argument that took place, very aggressive driver who decided I was at fault and to take it out on me. Then yesterday morning the car was playing up, when I finished work and got into it I knew something was wrong so thought I'd pass by the garage on the way home, £235 later! Nothing to do with the accident but could have really done without at least one of the incidents waiting til next week. I like a balanced life.
    Anyhoo Thursday was a nsd lol.

Had to put the car on the cc and its actually the same amount I have just managed to clear by over paying for 6 weeks so back to square 1.

Thank you everyone for this thread and thank you for letting me join in.
    Last edited by Timetopullmysocksup; 02-12-2017 at 5:29 PM. Reason: .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter