Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,481Posts
    • 17,330Thanks
    misstara
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge
    • 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge 28th Oct 17 at 6:43 PM
    Welcome to the November NST challenge. November is probably one of my favourite months of the year - I love being all cosied up in warm clothes, all the leaves coming off the trees, the anticipation of Christmas coming up and even the dark nights, however, I know that many people dread this time of year so part of this challenge is to do with looking after your mental health.

November is a good time to have a bit of clear out and have a bonfire. I'm not asking you to actually have a bonfire but have a look through and see if there's anything that can be ebayed or put to the charity shop. November is also bonfire night. Most local councils put on a fireworks display so if you can, go along to watch.

November rules
    NSDs- set your own NSD target of over 12. As usual, household bills, medical expenses, budgeted travel expenses and ys items are exempt as long as that's all you spend.
    Organise - set your budgets now, pay to your debt/savings first. Organise any social things now, try and keep them low cost or free if possible. Look at your food budget, is there any savings to be made?
    Value for money - for all your purchases during November, I want you to ask yourself if you are getting value for your money. Look round for better deals, can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
    Exercise - I know the weather is getting colder and miserable but try to get outdoors for a bit each day even if just for 10 minutes. If you already do quite a lot of exercise, try something different. Go a different route when out walking/running or try a different gym class.
    Mental health - think of all the things you do to keep good mental health or strategies you have in place to combat poor mental health. As the long nights draw in, it can have an impact so try and do something daily to keep good mental health.
    Be Christmas ready - in October mothernerd encouraged us to get organised for Christmas so hopefully most of you are already pretty organised but for those you aren't (me!), start organising now. Plan who you are buying for, what you're buying and the budget. Can you add a few items of food to your weekly shop to spread the cost?
    Eat well - at this time of year, I tend to eat more stodgy food and there's always yummy snacks to be had so this month I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat better. If you already do this, pick another area to work on this month.
    Report - post daily if you can with a list of three things that you are grateful for.
    Last edited by misstara; 28-10-2017 at 9:55 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
Page 31
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 28th Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Things finally starting to be sorted so that my Mum can come home.
    That is good news. There's lots of help out there
    kids will probably have pasties and chips, sorry, seasonal vegetables en croute and hand cut potato slices.
    I love your posts. They make me laugh! Sorry about the flood. How do you stay so calm and manage to find a funny side to everything?
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 28th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi All

I have actually come in search of some Edinburgh Advice .. the hotel that we are staying in has buffet type breakfast (all I can stuff in me) for £12.50 per head (so 25 quid for hub and I!) I have never been to Edinburgh and have no idea what sort of prices to expect. If I will pay a tenner elsewhere for a cooked breakfast I might as well fatten up on breakfast buffet and have a small lunch but if I can find a lot of nice local cafes that wont cost the earth I will do that?

25 seems a lot for a breakfast buffet, and I can no doubt get tea in my room but if I would pay that anywhere I might as well fill up on an all you can eat!

sort of a money Saving question
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 28th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I always think that buffet breakfasts in hotels are not great value unless you have a big appetite and mine is very small (but often). There are a lot of cafes just off the Royal Mile which will be a lot cheaper plus chains like Wetherspoons. A couple of rolls and square sausage will set you up for the day!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 28th Nov 17, 3:56 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Have a look at this. http://www.martone-edinburgh.co.uk/menu.php It's across the bridge at the Waverley Station end of Princes Street. Maybe 10 minutes from your hotel and just so you know it makes the best ice cream ever! (and a very nice pizza if you're looking for something like that for dinner).
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 28th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Thanks both! Yes well, my hub can put it away. If you had told me Edinburgh was VERY expensive (like a tenner for a cooked breakfast) Id have just paid 12.50 and told him to fill his boots. but those prices look very reasonable
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 28th Nov 17, 5:56 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD 10/12 It was so cold I stayed in the house whilst C did his Christmas shopping. Well, actually bought my Christmas presents because I've done and wrapped all the rest plus bought and written the cards. I gave him a list but the poor lamb in feeling so stressed!
    I got lots and lots ticked off my list today and have lots to do tomorrow but most of it is quite simple. I did manage to lock us out of the Internet banking because I hadn't realized the Caps Lock was on on the laptop. Long wait to get through to them but solved in seconds.
    Been a good day today though. Hope you're all good.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 28th Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    My experience of Edinburgh was pricey but we were extremely restricted as one member of our party couldn't walk very far. I love Edinburgh, I love Scotland actually and really want to get up there to explore more.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 28th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,076 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I love your posts. They make me laugh! Sorry about the flood. How do you stay so calm and manage to find a funny side to everything?
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend

I put it down to a perverse sense of humour, and the realisation that nothing short of death cannot be solved.

DH says I do not understand the seriousness of any given situation (bless!)

potaytoes/potahtoes
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 28-11-2017 at 7:12 PM.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • greent
    • By greent 28th Nov 17, 7:34 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 65,660 Thanks
    greent
    Day 28 - the end is in sight :)
    Clear Out - got rid of a pile of paperwork from the kitchen windowsill - mostly to recycling - that's about the best I managed today!

NSDs -6 - I haven't spent anything - but I had to send OH (seeing as he works in a town centre anyway) to get more school trousers for the growing one (DS3 - 8yo) as he now has only 1 pair which fits (the other 2 pairs were given to me by a friend and her son wore them and DS2 did, so I can't complain - they cost me nothing. Will recycle them up to school for spares/ sale ) - £13 for a twin pack

Organise -
    Food - £354.15/ £400 -
    Fuel (me) - £84.45/ £65 -
    Social - £125.74/ £150 -
    Toiletries - £5.60/ £10 -
    Clothes - £128.48/£100 - Overspend caused by 3 x school trousers (DS3) and 3 x school shirts (DS2) (I shall ignore the £80 (total) spent on 2 pairs of boots (1 pair for me, 1 pair for DD - but both were genuinely needed))
    Gifts - £476.09

Value for money -whilst out at lunchtime, I also got OH to get a free pack of Xmas cards and a free net of choc coins from WH5mith with 02 pri0rity m0ments

Exercise -

Mental health - not bad

Be Christmas ready - Handed over some stuff to my mum which I'd ordered for kids and OH today - she is transferring the money to my acct and I will pay it straight on CC

Eat well - yes.

Report/ Gratitudes -
    * Payday - and a tax refund (incorrect, though) - all transferred to kitchen fund
    * playing with DS3 on the way back to the car after school
    * a friend's toddler running up to me and giving me a high 5 when he saw me
    * freebies from 02
    * my mum unexpectedly buying me a HUGE bottle of C0mfort fabric conditioner and a huge bottle of Fa1ry liquid
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 28th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 35,807 Thanks
    DawnW
    Checking in, Day 28, nearly there!

NSD - Still on 14/12, as I had to pay for parking at the hospital today, and coffee while we waited for OH's appointment. Hoping to get at least one more in before the end of the month though
    Organise - Finished clearing out and tidying the drawers in the bureau, got a load of washing almost dry on the washing line, and wrapped up some ebay parcels for posting tomorrow. That is about it today!
    Value for Money - Nothing today really
    Exercise - 2 x dog walks, would love to do more, but finding it difficult atm with OH poorly and unable to do much
    Mental Health - A bit anxious, OH had his MRI scan today, but now we have to wait for the results... and DD2 is due to give birth next week
    Be Christmas ready - Nothing today
    Eat Well - Eaten too much again
    Be Grateful - Grateful to still be able to (mostly) dry washing outside, and not having to wait too long at the hospital today.
    Declutter - Junk pulled out of bureau drawers binned, recycled or shredded (any paperwork with personal details), filed some items in the correct place. 3 ebay items ready to go
    NSDs for December 4/15
    Decluttering 13/31

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for my counsellor, for unexpected buses, for the amzn pickup/drop off point in the library, for being served in aldee by my friend so we had a quick catch up, for the EA being available to take photos of mum's house when I next go up, for a good book, for lists, for the microwave not billowing smoke today, for pay day!
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 28th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 19,548 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 28
    Was a spend day. Brought double flat sheets for my Mum's hospital bed when it is delivered.
    Clear out - Some paperwork shredded or recycled bin.
    Organise - Sorted some things in the flat so that the bed can be put into the living room. Lunch and flask of tea. OT came to confirm placing for hospital bed. Brought bed sheets. Also collected bed pan from hospital.
    Mental Health - Ok as managed to sort somethings out. Will have an early night.
    Grateful for:
    Things processing for my Mum's discharge from hospital.
    Kind staff at the hospital.
    Got 2 free books.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 4/15 Food/household budget £32.55/£150
    • Timetopullmysocksup
    • By Timetopullmysocksup 28th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Timetopullmysocksup
    Monday

14/18NSDs

Organize - trying to organize who's where over Christmas. Son is working late crimbo eve & early Boxing day which is a bit of a pain.

Value for money - na

Exercise - shamefully nothing.

Mental health - feeling good.

Be Christmas ready - trying my best.

Eat well - chilli pasta bake.

Thankful for - getting home from work and taking my bra off.

Tuesday

15/18NSDs one more on Thursday so won't achieve 18 :-(

Organize - caught up on a few things at work like sorting through my pigeon hole and replacing some broken hanging files.

Value for money - na

Exercise - nothing.

Mental health - mores smiles than grumps

Be Christmas ready - nothing today.

Eat well - cheese and potato pie, quiche & salad

Thankful for - The amazing hot chocolate my daughter just made us.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Nov 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 22,330 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD. Very happy with today but very tired. Went to mum's, intending to paint the fence. Mum wanted to paint the fenceposts (touching up where the blue fence paint ran/ smudged on the white posts and asked me to move all the 2' concrete edging strips and the large stones/ rocks also used a s edging.

Did the moving, rinsed them all with water that had gathered in various pots, scrubbed them, gathered garden rubbish, cut back a plant that was in the way, used the second paintbrush to help with post painting.

When mum went in I carried on painting until the area we were doing was finished, put asack of compost in the shed, used a plastic tarpaulin and turned over all the egde strips to clean the other side, painted 3 to see if it would take, dug a hole and moved a plant (small bush) from a pot to the little garden (it did not want to come out of the onion shaped pot) and put the bins out (mum painted house numbers on earlier whilst I shuffled them into position for her). Later on I went out to put something in the bins and emptied a sack of chipping stones and half a large bag back onto the area to cover the soil.

I ahve not been doing well with cooking recently (too much grab and go from the freezer) so i took a large bag of veg to mum's with me. Whilst waiting for my tea to cook I cut, peeled and bagged up, 2 heads of celery, 2 bags of carrots, 1 pack of chantenay carrots top and tailed, cooked and mashed for mum, 2 bags of ys parsnips (now in the freezer) and a coleslaw mix.

I also cut more shapes (stars, hearts, trees) for crafts and put together at least half a dozen hand embroidered cards. Too tired to read or sew. When I got home I asked for any recycling (plastic/ glass/ tin cans), rinsed several sink loads and put the filled bin out for collection.

The kitchen is not ready for tomorrow but laminate man is not an early riser so hoping for an early night and get up early (actually I am hoping for a sunny day and will pack as mcuh as possible in bags, put it in the yard and cover it to give more working room in the kitchen (going to ask him if he can mend the wonky leg on my farmhouse table (8' x 4') which has been propped up against the kitchen wall since we moved back in here 3 years ago.

Spent over £100 last night on kitchen stuff but treating it as the finishing off stage of the kitchen (installed 14 years ago, things like the pan rack were taken down and moved to the other house with us and hoping can delay a new kitchen for another 5 - 10 years). I also used 4 open shelving units that were for this kitchen, at the other house when i needed to put a new kitchen in.

Today I am grateful for getting things done, for soup (opened a tin at mum's just to have a hot drink), for increasing my veg intake + bananas for thinking of things to add to my happy list.

Today I am grateful for
    Last edited by mothernerd; 28-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 409/2017
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 28th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 27/30

NSDs:12/15 still on 12 as a spendy day again...grr

Organise: Better than expected on organisation as car breakdown enforced staying home. Had to get lift back from CS with colleague - AA came & eventually took car to garage, alternator gone & cost will be £500 , also will not be ready till maybe Thursday...Still it meant that I was able to get into dining room of doom, stick down most of frisky border (using UhU glue, what the hell) which seemed to have worked. Then with help from DH got stuff back into room, table, 2 very heavy display cabinets/sideboard thingy & sofa. Bit disappointed as I had hoped to change the furniture around; however the units do not fit anywhere else so that plan scuppered. Dh fetched all the drawers for the units from everywhere & replaced them. Now just have to clean the shelves & then can start refilling the units...progress, slow, but definite progress. Won't get much done tomorrow as spa day for birthday, heyho just hope I don't fall asleep & start snoring, oh the shame

Value for money - Got a few items from CS & the boss that was in charged me very little. Also took some of my unwanted items. Everyone must be clearing out for Christmas, the stuff just never stopped coming in for the entire 4 hours I was there....Also ordered dog food over phone to be delivered as we couldn't drive there. Ordered double just in case weather bad later on, so got discount from shop owner plus free delivery..

Exercise - lots of CS work..

Mental health - Good as I can finally see progress

Be Christmas ready -Need to order stuff for gifts soon as will be away otherwise & then too rushed..

Eat well - Yes other than the (tasteless) YS M&S sandwiches we had for lunch. Even DH - who doesn't have the best tastebuds tbh - commented they didn't taste of much..then had stir fry + egg fried rice HM

Gratitudes - For the AA man identifying the problem & taking the car down the garage even though he had to walk all the way back - he couldn't tow it as its a 4x4; for a lift home from kind friend; for a relaxing day in prospect for tomorrow; for stretching the few bits of chicken left into a stir fry with egg fried rice that fed 3 of us..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 29th Nov 17, 6:17 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

NSD- still on 14 which means I wont make it. Hub broke his phone so Ive had to replace it. I have however insisted he only has a cheap one as his contract is up soon. Might as well go Aldis too & get my shopping in. Saves me a job for Friday.

Organise- wrote out a list of things to do today including chase Tax free childcare who now owe me £££s, done my shopping list and wtote a list of things Im doing in Dec and realistic expenses (york this wkend, santa express wkend after, xmas food shop)

Value- will still watch what I spend as usual

Eat well- jacket potatoe for lunch

Mental health-feeling good

Xmas- going to write cards this wkend & do a bit of wrapping

Excersize- seems unlikely I have so much do after work...
    Gratitude s- that we have an emergency budget, it isn't loads as all our money goes into our help to buy ISAs but it does come in handy when unexpected bills pop up. That Christmas is a happy time for us, it hasnt always been & I think about those who struggle this time of year and how lucky I am, for the smell of Christmas trees
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 29th Nov 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,076 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Yesterday turned into an unexpected NSD so on 13 now.

Had to take back a pair of school shoes bought for DS2,the size 6 were too narrow, even though they were the same as the pair he had, found out that the size 6 kids shoes are narrower than the adult size 6 shoes, although the price was the same. The lady on the till refused to exchange as I had lost the receipt but the manageress remembered me so did it anyway. So there you go.

Will try hard for another NSD today
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 29th Nov 17, 10:03 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Monday

Eat well - cheese and potato pie, quiche & salad

Originally posted by Timetopullmysocksup

This sounds lovely - do you have a recipe you could share. My DH and I are bored of the same old thing
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 29th Nov 17, 1:52 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 29 #18 checking in...
    NSD - 12/12 No spending for me today and glad I've reached my target with 1 day to spare
    Organise - With being away last week my grocery shopping schedule is all out of sync. Today is usually grocery shopping but went late last week so trying to bring it back in line. Will spend some time planning December spends and budgets ready for Friday.
    Value for Money - Went to see the light switch on last night. D/S didn't want anything from the stalls except a £1 elf teddy from a local charity stall and a sausage roll bless him so out of £9 budget sent £2.30 Took last years flashy wand so saved £5 too, while we were there a local pub was handing out £10 off food vouchers its for a pub I'm taking my friend on Saturday for her birthday lunch so grateful!!
    Exercise - New parking restrictions by the school mean we have to park further away as from Friday so not sure I can count this anymore!
    Mental Health - A evening out and a good sleep put me in a good mood however a bad day in work today may cloud that. Not sure what the solution is at work as need more training but no-one willing to offer it
    Xmas/DS Birthday - Orders xmas CD from eb@y last night, dropped 2 party invites off this morning, will be wrapping presents this evening.
    Eat Well - Haven't eaten enough today so just having a mug of soup and will do sausage and mash for tea.
    Be Grateful - Local pub handing out vouchers for a place I was intending to go to anyway
    Delutter - Next area is my duvets and towels. I have far too many duvets but my towels could do with replacing. Will tidy them up for now.
    O/Draft - Clinging on for dear life!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 29th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Ticked everything off my list today plus some. Feeling really chuffed with myself. Not a NSD - bits and pieces but I did get a walk.
    Goodness, nearly December already. Where has the time gone?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter