Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bigfatolly71
    • By bigfatolly71 28th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    bigfatolly71
    Nationwide Mortgage PPI Plevin
    • 28th Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    Nationwide Mortgage PPI Plevin 28th Oct 17 at 10:08 AM
    I tried a few years back to reclaim PPI from Nationwide Building Society.

The claim was with my mortgage,which was originally with Portman Building Society until they were taken over.
    I remortgaged in 2004 to build a loft conversion which was when I was sold the PPI ( I never had it with my original mortgage which I took out in 1995)
    Basically my claim was rejected but Nationwide halved my PPI payments which I carried on paying until recently when I cancelled the policy and got a cheaper policy from a third party.
    I never questioned the rejected claim at the time as I had a lot going on in my life and didn't go to the ombudsman as maybe I should have done.

Now I have read about Plevin ,I am wondering if I should reclaim,as I am thinking that I may have a case,due to the fact Nationwide more or less admitted I was paying too much by halving my payments when I claimed.

I'm not great with all this so a bit of friendly advice in plain and simple terms would be nice.

Thank you
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 28th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    societys child
    • 28th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 28th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    You could try but Plevin relates to commissions paid in excess of 50%. (not the cost of the policy)
    Commission on MPPI policies was generally much lower.

• PLYSU
    • By PLYSU 29th Oct 17, 3:18 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    PLYSU
    • 29th Oct 17, 3:18 AM
    • 29th Oct 17, 3:18 AM
    Hi. I would defo suggest you make a complaint. Plevin (unfair relationship) got my bezzie £2500 from his mortgage bank. I don't want to mention the name of it as it causes arguments on here. My experience of this forum is the advice is slightly one sided. 4 or 5 people reply to everything and if you keep reading this one sided advice, you start to believe it. Well I don't. Good luck! :-)
    • bigfatolly71
    • By bigfatolly71 10th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bigfatolly71
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    Hi. I would defo suggest you make a complaint. Plevin (unfair relationship) got my bezzie £2500 from his mortgage bank. I don't want to mention the name of it as it causes arguments on here. My experience of this forum is the advice is slightly one sided. 4 or 5 people reply to everything and if you keep reading this one sided advice, you start to believe it. Well I don't. Good luck! :-)
    Originally posted by PLYSU

Well just to update,I took your advice and filled out the Plevin form on Nationwides website.

I had a letter acknowledging my claim within a week and that they would give me an answer by January 2nd.
    I then had another letter saying they were dealing with it and I would again have my answer by January 2nd.

On January 4th I had a letter advising me my claim was a success and that I would receive £612 !!

I had the cheque within 4 days.

So,it definitely pays to claim,so happy I got something
    • LIbrarianGirl
    • By LIbrarianGirl 22nd Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LIbrarianGirl
    • 22nd Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    I've just completed a form on the Nationwide website as well. My claim for Mortgage PPI was rejected a while ago and I didn't go to the Ombudsman either. Hoping for some good news soon Looks like it was a quick turn around for you so fingers crossed...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 90,437 Posts
    • 57,221 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    if your mortgage was ‘regulated’ (residential mortgage completed after 31 October 2004) then it is out of scope as it did not fall under the consumer credit act. So, Plevin wont apply. If it is before that date then it does.

If it is an unregulated mortgage (such as buy to let) then it is out of scope and plevin doesnt apply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • LIbrarianGirl
    • By LIbrarianGirl 22nd Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LIbrarianGirl
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    We first took out our Nationwide mortgagage in, I think, summer 2003 and then transferred it to our new property in early 2006. I've filled out the form so will just wait and see what they say. I'll post an update when they do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

570Posts Today

5,407Users online

Martin's Twitter