Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 28th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    • 243Posts
    • 178Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Avoiding Car Tax Overlap
    • 28th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    Avoiding Car Tax Overlap 28th Oct 17 at 12:52 AM
    If you are transferring the Registered Keeper of a car from one family member to another then there is a way of avoiding the car tax overlap. I have successfully done this on 2 occasions now and it works perfectly.

On the first occasion my wife gave her car to our daughter about 3 months before the tax was due to expire.

We then waited until just after midnight on the day that that it expired and then taxed the car from the first day of the next month using the online form at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax using the Ref No on the V5C's green slip.

Later the same day we completed the Online Change of Registered Keeper form at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle (This needs to be done between 0700-1900 hours.

We did the same thing a year later when we transferred the keeper from our eldest daughter to our youngest daughter.

I appreciate that this is only likely to work when transferring the Keeper either between family members or very close friends. However it is a simple legitimate way of ensuring that you don't have to pay double tax for the month in which the Keeper details are changed.
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 07-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS
Page 5
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Takman

Keep wasting your time asking questions which I have already answered. You are not smart enough to make realise that I'm not singing to your tune anymore. You really are a very arrogant and argumentative control freak.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,015 Thanks
    AdrianC
    <wipes tear of laughter>
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Seems odd to post to a forum, then.

Is that the room next to yours?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    My first post was sensible money saving advice that would benefit some peoople but the thread been taken massively off topic, which is a real shame.
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    Takman

Keep wasting your time asking questions which I have already answered. You are not smart enough to make realise that I'm not singing to your tune anymore. You really are a very arrogant and argumentative control freak.
    Originally posted by 4 Pete's Sake
    Well you haven't answered the question i have asked and you won't because you may have to admit your wrong if you did.

But are you seriously suggesting i had some kind of control over you earlier in the thread .
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,015 Thanks
    AdrianC
    My first post was sensible money saving advice that would benefit some peoople but the thread been taken massively off topic, which is a real shame.
    It was guff that's been done to death umpty-seven thousand times in the three years since tax discs were discontinued and VED became non-transferable on keeper change.

What caused all the amusement was your over-emotive defensiveness when the reality of the triviality of the saving was pointed out to you. That's just been multiplied with your aggressive double-standards as the thread's gone on.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Well you haven't answered the question i have asked and you won't because you may have to admit your wrong if you did.

But are you seriously suggesting i had some kind of control over you earlier in the thread .
    Originally posted by takman
    It must be really annoying you that I'm no longer playing your game.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 12:55 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    It was guff that's been done to death umpty-seven thousand times in the three years since tax discs were discontinued and VED became non-transferable on keeper change.

What caused all the amusement was your over-emotive defensiveness when the reality of the triviality of the saving was pointed out to you. That's just been multiplied with your aggressive double-standards as the thread's gone on.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    A saving is a saving and for those with much higher vehicle tax it is even more.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 5th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    We just bought another car, shock horror, one week before the end of the month. Having weighed out a few grand I wasn't going to wait a week to save about £18 in road tax!

There is moneysaving and there is being tight!
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    It must be really annoying you that I'm no longer playing your game.
    Is that what you say to people who you have a discussion with and they don't agree with what your saying?. You suggest they are playing some kind of game and attempt to remove all evidence of you being wrong?.

You say you are "no longer" playing my game. So that means you were previously playing some kind of game but it definitely wasn't a game that i am aware of. What game were you playing and what were the rules?...

So if i decide to make up a game where you have to reply to this thread does that mean you won't reply ever again. So if you post in this thread again you will be playing my game
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    This is really hurting you now. LOLThis is how to hurt a control freak.
    • mark1959
    • By mark1959 5th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mark1959
    We just bought another car, shock horror, one week before the end of the month. Having weighed out a few grand I wasn't going to wait a week to save about £18 in road tax!

There is moneysaving and there is being tight!
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    And there is moneysaving and there is being silly.
    If you were transferring ownership of a car from one family member to another, rather than two people paying a months tax, do it right at the end of the month. What part of this is difficult?
    • Wig
    • By Wig 5th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    Back on topic again,

Having looked at my new V5C I see that I must have put the right date after all, the 30th November, so all is well.

By the way, when you tax it at a post office they only need the green tear off slip V5C/2 nothing else....their computer checks for an MOT but not for insurance...they now rely on DVLA continuous Insurance regulations and checks to ensure that you do have insurance.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 6th Dec 17, 1:53 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    And there is moneysaving and there is being silly.
    If you were transferring ownership of a car from one family member to another, rather than two people paying a months tax, do it right at the end of the month. What part of this is difficult?
    Originally posted by mark1959
    Thank you Mark, that is the point that I have been trying to make all along. Clearly some people seem happy to pay tax that they don't need to, yet belong to a Money Saving Forum.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 6th Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Thank you Mark, that is the point that I have been trying to make all along. Clearly some people seem happy to pay tax that they don't need to, yet belong to a Money Saving Forum.

Yes but your way doesn't work because you are taxing it before doing the change of ownership.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 6th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Yes but your way doesn't work because you are taxing it before doing the change of ownership.
    Nodding Donkey

My method as described in Post #1 worked perfectly.

1. The car tax ran out final day of the month.
    2. Just after midnight the new keeper taxed the car online using the Ref. No. on the V5C's green slip
    3 . After 07.00 hours the formal change of keeper was completed using the online form.

Therefore no double tax was paid, so I cannot see how you can say that if failed to work?

The method that Wig used also works and is ideal if you are changing the vehicle's keeper midway through the tax period rather than at the end.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 6th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Drip, drip.

Yes you have to use the V5C but you don't mention that in the OP
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 6th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Drip, drip.

Yes you have to use the V5C but you don't mention that in the OP
    I didn't mention it as it should be obvious to any who has ever bought and taxed a 2nd hand car that you require the Ref. No from the green slip. Indeed you are asked for this if you phone or go online to tax it.

However I did eventually clarify the need for Ref No. from the green slip in Post #64.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 7th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,479 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    I didn't mention it as it should be obvious to any who has ever bought and taxed a 2nd hand car that you require the Ref. No from the green slip. Indeed you are asked for this if you phone or go online to tax it.

However I did eventually clarify the need for Ref No. from the green slip in Post #64.
    It should also be obvious to anyone that has transferred a car between family members to do it at the end of the month to avoid overlap but if you are going to post a 'How to' then it's probably best to not miss anything out.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 7th Dec 17, 11:03 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    It should also be obvious to anyone that has transferred a car between family members to do it at the end of the month to avoid overlap but if you are going to post a 'How to' then it's probably best to not miss anything out.
    To assist anyone who needs this level of clarity and who may not get as far as reading about the V5C's green slip in Post #64, I have edited Post #1 and made mention of the green slip.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter