Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 28th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    • 243Posts
    • 178Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Avoiding Car Tax Overlap
    • 28th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    Avoiding Car Tax Overlap 28th Oct 17 at 12:52 AM
    If you are transferring the Registered Keeper of a car from one family member to another then there is a way of avoiding the car tax overlap. I have successfully done this on 2 occasions now and it works perfectly.

On the first occasion my wife gave her car to our daughter about 3 months before the tax was due to expire.

We then waited until just after midnight on the day that that it expired and then taxed the car from the first day of the next month using the online form at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax using the Ref No on the V5C's green slip.

Later the same day we completed the Online Change of Registered Keeper form at https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle (This needs to be done between 0700-1900 hours.

We did the same thing a year later when we transferred the keeper from our eldest daughter to our youngest daughter.

I appreciate that this is only likely to work when transferring the Keeper either between family members or very close friends. However it is a simple legitimate way of ensuring that you don't have to pay double tax for the month in which the Keeper details are changed.
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 07-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS
Page 4
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Nov 17, 11:28 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Are you sure about that? Because if you are talking about the second (or third or fourth) daughter who has got the Corsa, the subject of this thread... I think you will find that you are wrong.

Amazing people talk off topic to an OP about vegetables and then tell the OP that because OP essentially keep replying to the posts about said vegetables..... that the OP is boring them.

You could not make it up
    Originally posted by Wig
    OP decided to go off piste, no indication that any siblings went to uni or not, just the posting style suggests a parent who decides their child is unique and special.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Nov 17, 1:26 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    [QUOTE=takman;73448949]A full service history at Vauxhall will not include a 6 monthly oil change. So your attention to detail must be lacking because you obviously havnt even bothered to read the book.

Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 02-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Nov 17, 1:34 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Just think what will happen to the daughter if she doesn't get a first?

It's an interesting perspective from the OP, his daughter is obviously the first in the family to go to university and so there is little knowledge of the way higher education works.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 02-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Nov 17, 1:42 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    From your OP

I think you mean your daughter renews tax with her green tear off slip as a new keeper... is that right?

You then do the transfer on the 1st

Why don't you do the transfer on the 1st as step 1
    then step 2 new keeper buys tax.

It would still work.
    Originally posted by Wig
    Hi Wig

As the old tax ran out at Midnight on the last day of the month I wanted to tax it as soon as possible after midnight, which can be done either online or by phone using the Ref. No. on the green slip. However you cannot complete the online Change of Keeper form until after 07.00 hours in the morning.

We could have done it the way you suggested if the car had been off road at the time.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Nov 17, 1:56 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    [QUOTE=takman;73452799]If that comment is aimed at me then you need to re-read what i actually said:

Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 02-12-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 23rd Nov 17, 2:15 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    OP decided to go off piste, no indication that any siblings went to uni or not, just the posting style suggests a parent who decides their child is unique and special.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Last edited by 4 Pete's Sake; 02-12-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 24th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    Hi Wig

As the old tax ran out at Midnight on the last day of the month I wanted to tax it as soon as possible after midnight, which can be done either online or by phone using the Ref. No. on the green slip. However you cannot complete the online Change of Keeper form until after 07.00 hours in the morning.

We could have done it the way you suggested if the car had been off road at the time.
    Originally posted by 4 Pete's Sake

If you do the date of transfer as the 1st December, on the 1st, I don't think DVLA would have anything to say to the old keeper for not taxing it for December, because it is taxed from the 1st December by new keeper.

It is the same as what you did, she just bought her tax first the night before. If she buys the tax on the 1st, the end result is the same.

I think the waiting to midnight part is not necessary.

I will have to do mine with a 5 day SORN from 30th - 4th because mine is in the middle of the taxed period. We won't need to drive the transferred car for those 5 days.
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 24th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    If you do the date of transfer as the 1st December, on the 1st, I don't think DVLA would have anything to say to the old keeper for not taxing it for December, because it is taxed from the 1st December by new keeper.

It is the same as what you did, she just bought her tax first the night before. If she buys the tax on the 1st, the end result is the same.

I think the waiting to midnight part is not necessary.

I will have to do mine with a 5 day SORN from 30th - 4th because mine is in the middle of the taxed period. We won't need to drive the transferred car for those 5 days.
    Originally posted by Wig
    Providing you are not using the car then in the early hours of 1st of the month then it could be left till later in the day. However if you were using it in the small hours of the morning and got stopped by the Police or were unfortunate enough have an RTC then when the Police carry out their checks on the cars it would show as untaxed and they would not let you continue to drive it and may even have it recovered at your expense. However the Police cuts have been so severe that the chances of getting pulled over in the early hours are remote.

The 5 day SORN option is a good one if you don't need to use the car for this period and can keep it off road.
    • takman
    • By takman 24th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    The Service Manager at our local Vauxhall Dealer has advised me that if a 1.0L Corsa is only doing 2,000 miles a year that there is absolutely no need to have the oil changed every six months. But clearly you think you know better. LOL.
    If a car is only doing 2000 miles a year with lots of short journeys it certainly does need an oil change every 6 months, just do some research about oil not getting up to temperature and how bad low mileage cars that have only done short journeys are.

By your own admission you have overpaid for a car which hasn't been serviced to a good standard.

But now the car is doing less than 5,000 miles a year:

It is a 5 door Vauxhall Corsa Active 1.0L first registered in 2003. For the first 13 years & six months of its life it was owned by an elderly man who had only done 27487 miles and had FSH with his Vauxhall Dealer. (An average of 2036 miles a year). The car was in mint condition and came with 12 months MOT. No one had ever sat on the back seat! Just over 13 months later, it has done 32705 miles,
    But by your own admission you are doing a 6 monthly oil change on only 5,000 miles a year.

cost of Oil for the 6 monthly oil change
    So considering the service interval will be way over 12000 miles a year (sometimes up to 20000 miles) then the vauxhall service manager will also advice you that a 6 monthly oil change isn't necessary. So why are you doing it every 6 months if your put so much faith in the advice of the service manager?.

You seem to be so determined to prove me wrong that your contradicting yourself.

You now also imagine double spaces. Try copy and pasting my previous post into Microsoft Word and you will see that there are no double spaces. Perhaps you ought to invest in a proper laptop as clearly your one has a problem with its display.
    Yes your right it doesn't have any double spaces and i will happily admit when i'm wrong but i was on my phone at the time. But ironically when i copied the post into Microsoft word it did point out several grammatical errors; which is quote ironic.

It's not just about my daughter. Qualified Vets find your suggestion for getting a first to be laughable and impossible. And with respect they are going to know a lot more about this than you or I.
    That just sounds like they are being very big headed by saying that anyone who does the part time course cannot possibly get a first. Do you really believe a university would continue to offer a part time option if nobody ever achieved a top grade while also working (which is the purpose of offering part time courses).
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 3rd Dec 17, 12:02 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Takman

You're just jealous and I know why.

I'm so glad I live in the real world and not in your fantasyland.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,015 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Takman

Mmm. Jealous of a grannied Corsa. Aren't we all?
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    Takman

I'm so glad I live in the real world and not in your fantasyland.
    So instead of admitting when you wrong you go back and delete some of your posts and write this silly reply. Let's have a look at some of what you have tried to remove:

Post #18:

A tenner a month is quite a bit to a student who has no job
    Post #24:

If you seriously thing that a tenner a month is nothing to a student who budgets very carefully then it beggars belief that you bother to read anything on MSE. Students that study certain subjects and are on course for a First have precious little time to get a job. The car is a necessity due to what she is studying and where she need to get to without putting herself at risk. When you have a daughter in the same situation then you might understand, rather than making patronising comments.
    Post #41:

Doh!! In order to pass the current driving test you have to know how to carry out basic checks on a car. Clearly if you bought a 2nd hand car your wouldn't be bothered by how long or short the MOT was.

On my daughters 5 year veterinary course there is not one person who works full time and only a small number with part-time jobs. They also have to do placements in the holidays. So there will be absolutely no students getting a first in Veterinary Studies who have a full time job.
    Post #51:

If you re- read my first comment about her car you will see that she had it SERVICED and MOT'd. She does the basic checks and I do additonal checks when she comes home. Perhaps you get under your car every few days to check everything. If so good luck to you.

Nobody gets a first in Veterninary by your proposed method, your suggestion is ludicrous in the extreme.
    Post #54:

You make many assumptions about the car, some may be right and some may be wrong. I've already told you that it came with FSH at Vauxhall, so cannot understand why you suggest that this might not have been done? Clearly your attention to detail is lacking and this is very important if you own a car!! Hopefully someone else does the checks on your car?

Perhaps you also need to go back to School to brush up on your spelling and grammar. Unfortunately you spelt unfortunately as "unfortunetly" and made several other grammatical errors, which I hope you will be able to locate if your read over your post.
    Post #62:

It's not just about my daughter. Qualified Vets find your suggestion for getting a first to be laughable and impossible. And with respect they are going to know a lot more about this than you or I.
    So basically you are unable to admit when you are wrong and have tried to remove all evidence of it. I'm glad you now see that your comments about not being able to get a first on a part time course were very ignorant and wrong. I also see you removed some bits about the car having a full service history and being checked properly, so it's good to see you now realise that the car hasn't exactly been maintained to the best standards.
    It's just a shame you couldn't respond to me like man and admit when you change you now see that you are wrong. I wonder how you deal with situtation in real life where you say something that is wrong and their is no "delete button".
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 12:35 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Takman

Wow, you are such an arrogant control freak, once again making so many assumptions.

You think you know more about everything than anyone else, even about cars that you don't own and have never seen or driven. UNBELIEVABLE.

You think you know why I deleted the posts and therefore can read my mind. UNBELIEVABLE.

By the way, I'm not accepting that anything I said was wrong and stand by every word, which I know to be true, rather than an assumption.

You have succeeded in taking this thread totally off topic by going off on a tangent about issues that are irrelevant to the theme of avoiding double tax. Therefore I have chosen not to engage in your silly little game and deleted many of the off topic posts. I'm so glad that this has irritated you so much, because for once in your life you are not getting your own way.

I hate to think what it must be like to live or work with a domineering control freak like you.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,015 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Wow, you are such an arrogant control freak, once again making so many assumptions.

...because for once in your life you are not getting your own way.

I hate to think what it must be like to live or work with a domineering control freak like you.
    Rather ironic, given that your reaction to opinions you don't like is to have a huff and sulk and take your ball away as best you can, don't you think?
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    Takman

You think you know more about everything than anyone else, even about cars that you don't own and have never seen or driven. UNBELIEVABLE.

You think you know why I deleted the posts and therefore can read my mind. UNBELIEVABLE.

By the way, I'm not accepting that anything I said was wrong and stand by every word, which I know to be true, rather than an assumption.

You have succeeded in taking this thread totally off topic by going off on a tangent about issues that are irrelevant to the theme of avoiding double tax. Therefore I have chosen not to engage in your silly little game and deleted many of the off topic posts. I'm so glad that this has irritated you so much, because for once in your life you are not getting your own way.

In my previous posts i have given direct replies to all the points you have raised that i disagree with. In your last two replies you have no been unable to reply to the points you disagree with and explain why and have just resorted to personal insults. This is always a sign of someone who can't deal with loosing an argument and can't admit they may not be right.

You went back and tried to remove some of your posts. Everyone can clearly see you didn't do this because you wanted the thread to remain "on topic". Also this is a discussion forum and discussions evolve to other topics, so there is no reason why we shouldn't discuss other topics related to what you brought up.

I also don't know why you think i'm irritated. Your the one who seems extremely irritated and actually i find it amusing when i have an online discussion and the other person throws their toys out the pram.

But if you honestly stand by what you said you wouldn't go back and delete it. All that does it stop other people from being able to follow the thread and doesn't change anything.

But it's quite arrogant to think everything you have said is true. So how do you know that everyone who does a part time course never gets a first, do you have a source for that?

What makes you think that you "know" that the car only needed servicing once a year when doing 2000 miles a year, but now it is doing 5000 a year you service it every 6 months?. When both of these are extremely low mileage and will harm the engine if used on lots of short trips.

If you really did stand by these claims then you wouldn't have had any trouble discussing the topics instead of wasting your time with two silly replies.
    • Wig
    • By Wig 5th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    I have an update for this thread/subject.

I did mine online on the 30th November, at the time I thought it was the 29th November.

I input the 29th November as transfer date
    I immediately SORN as new keeper slip (the online instructions do not say you can do this until you are actually past the bit that says you will need form V890 or some such, once you go past the bit that says you are the registered keeper it then -and only then- mentions the "I have new keeper slip" - which I feel should be made much clearer on the previous page.

It also mentions here about the 5 days no online activity, but it does tell you that you can still tax it at a post office from when ever you like.

So I then taxed it at a post office on the 1st December - No 5 day wait.

I now have a problem in that the DVLA think it was transferred on the 29th and SORNed from the 30th....

I can either
    A) Leave it wait and see to see if the DVLA really do care about 1 day where it was taxed anyway by previous keeper.
    B) Sort it out with DVLA to get the date of transfer changed to 30th explaining that it was just a mistake.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    Takman

I would rather listen to EXPERTS who I KNOW and TRUST such as qualified mechanics and qualified veterinarians rather than an arrogant faceless online control freak know-it-all. You are clearly so irritated that I've stopped playing your silly game!!!

Now go back into your empty room and start another argument.
    • 4 Pete's Sake
    • By 4 Pete's Sake 5th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    4 Pete's Sake
    I have an update for this thread/subject.

I did mine online on the 30th November, at the time I thought it was the 29th November.

I input the 29th November as transfer date
    I immediately SORN as new keeper slip (the online instructions do not say you can do this until you are actually past the bit that says you will need form V890 or some such, once you go past the bit that says you are the registered keeper it then -and only then- mentions the "I have new keeper slip" - which I feel should be made much clearer on the previous page.

It also mentions here about the 5 days no online activity, but it does tell you that you can still tax it at a post office from when ever you like.

So I then taxed it at a post office on the 1st December - No 5 day wait.

I now have a problem in that the DVLA think it was transferred on the 29th and SORNed from the 30th....

I can either
    A) Leave it wait and see to see if the DVLA really do care about 1 day where it was taxed anyway by previous keeper.
    B) Sort it out with DVLA to get the date of transfer changed to 30th explaining that it was just a mistake.
    Originally posted by Wig
    It's probably worth notifying DVLA that you input the incorrect date and requesting them to change it.
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    Takman

I would rather listen to EXPERTS who I KNOW and TRUST such as qualified mechanics and qualified veterinarians rather than an arrogant faceless online control freak know-it-all. You are clearly so irritated that I've stopped playing your silly game!!!

So a discussion on a subject between two people who disagree with each other is a "silly little game"?. I'm simply asking you direct questions about what you believe to be the truth but childish replies like this one won't help your argument.

Why do you believe that a qualified veterinarian would be an expert in how many people on part time courses get a first?. Do you honestly believe university's would run a course where nobody ever achieved the top grades?.

You said a qualified mechanic told you that it being serviced once a year when it has only done 2000 miles a year with short journeys is acceptable. I hope this wasn't the same guy who sold you the car!. Have you even done any research online to see if he was correct?
    Also if you trust this mechanic 100% why are you now changing the oil every 6 months by your own admission. Surely if you believed him then you would only do it once a year considering how strapped for cash your daughter is.

If i was irritated and didn't find it amusing i would stop replying. You seem to be very irritated because you are unable to construct replies to my arguments and can only resort to insults.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 14,015 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I would rather listen to EXPERTS who I KNOW and TRUST such as qualified mechanics and qualified veterinarians
    Seems odd to post to a forum, then.

Is that the room next to yours?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter