Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammyjayneex
    • By sammyjayneex 27th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 21Thanks
    sammyjayneex
    can i ask them to rehouse me in these circumstances?
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    can i ask them to rehouse me in these circumstances? 27th Oct 17 at 11:13 PM
    Hello, I would appreciate any advice. I live in a council property managed by an housing association. I have lived here 6 years. Ever since I have moved in here I have had problems with damp and mould up walls in every upstairs room and ceilings. I have kept windows open.. put on heating.. I don't dry clothes on radiators and I have purchased a dehumidifier that was over £100 which is always running. All this was advice given to me by my council and I have followed it 100%. It still didn't solve the issue and I have has to replace wardrobes, beds, cabinets, draws, cupboards, and other furniture every winter for the past 6 years due to the mould issues and its cost me thousands, I'm constantly cleaning it. Its getting me down. The council did come and put some extra insulation in the roof (the roof is a weird structure) but it hasn't made a difference. The mould is only on external walls and its a semi- detached corner house. what are my rights now? Can I request to be rehoused because this doesn't seem to get resolved. We are also overcrowded ( 2 adults and 5 children in a 3 bedroom house) I have 4 girls and 1 boy. Ive been told they wont rehouse me but am I really expected to pay them rent every week for a cold mouldy house ruining my belongings, I cant afford private rent as I wouldnt never get a deposit or rent upfront or even afford a private rental! and I'm in nom position to buy.
Page 2
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 29th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    I suspect much of this will come down to 7 people using a bathroom with no mechanical ventilation. No amount of opening windows, nor a single dehumidifier is going to cope with the amount of moisture produced by this. You need to make a formal complaint following the procedure in the links above, and get them to repair it or put in better ventilation.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 29th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 16,119 Posts
    • 40,021 Thanks
    FBaby
    I think the condenser dryer might be a big contributor. They are just not good at avoiding condensation of used regularly especially if a cheaper version. If used every day then thst would create enough condensation to cause the mould especially in addition to the issue with the bathroom. Maybe it didn't come off because the level of condensation remained high.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 29th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,910 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    deannatrois
    https://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/room-insulation/graphite-insulating-wallpaper.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heatsaver-Wallpaper-Underliner-Paper-Insulation-Thermal-Lining-2mm-4mm-Graphite/332271009100?var=541281022463&epid=1610305734&hash =item4d5ce53d4c:m:mUBmZZE2PlgapmZjjxav50A

You do need to buy a special (pva type) glue as well.

These are the cheapest prices I found. The Graphite insulating wallpaper (4mm thick) is supposed to be like adding an extra layer of concrete bricks to your wall. Certainly I found my wall was instantly warmer to the touch ie not cold, certainly not colder than the other walls in the house.

I'm afraid people always assume its condensation caused by lifestyle, no matter what you say you are trying to do about it. I've done all you did as well. The only thing that stopped the problem out of all the solutions I tried was the wallpaper.

This is the blurb from the website. I know it sounds like it can't be true but I genuinely found the walls felt warmer. They were never cold to the touch again (no I don't work for any graphite wallpaper company).

"Made from a 4mm thick layer of BASF expandable polystyrene, infused with graphite particles and laminated to a high quality non-woven lining paper, Graphite Insulating Lining Paper delivers 20% better insulation performance than standard insulating lining paper. This is equivalent to having an extra 26cm of concrete on your walls over and above an insulating lining paper. "
    Last edited by deannatrois; 29-10-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    • lotteryman
    • By lotteryman 1st Dec 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lotteryman
    I agree with Old Git
    My daughter's flat has serious condensation issues and after a lot of research I installed a Positive Input Ventilator(PIV) unit in this year and it has cured the problem. Essentially this is a unit that fits into the ceiling in the hallway and takes air which it filters from the loft and circulates it around the house. This has the effect of pushing out humid air and keeping the whole house ventilated. It also has the added effect of improving the quality of the air. It is whisper quiet and easy to fit (some electrical work). They are made by Nuaire and cost around £250 (see nuaire.co.uk and i-sells.co.uk) As I say it has completely resolved the issue throughout my daughter's flat
    Hope this helps.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 1st Dec 17, 2:35 PM
    • 6,391 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The council did admit that the ceilings and roof is adding to the problem because the ceilings are not ‘flat’ the ceiling is curved on the external wall and windows in every room and also the corners of rooms esp the bathroom are ‘ curved’ but because it’s so much work they need to do to reshape it they can’t donit until there is a government scheme in the area ( which could be years) and it would Involve everyone with this type of house moving out for a short while whilst they do the work. So because of the cost they just leave tenants living in a state.
    Originally posted by sammyjayneex
    Presumably its an estate with many similar properties. Are the other properties as bad as yours?
    An organised complaint from numerous properties possibly involving the local councillor may get better results.

I've used this on walls http://www.wilko.com/bathroom-cleaning-products/wilko-mould-and-mildew-remover-750ml/invt/0333217 although its for hard surfaces. Stinks of peroxide but the smell fades quite quickly. It helps prevent regrowth. I wouldn't use bleach.

If you are constantly cleaning you could be adding moisture to the walls or room. Use something to prevent regrowth.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 01-12-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 1st Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Zombie thread.

LotteryMan is spamming the forum.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 1st Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,910 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    deannatrois
    posted in error
    Last edited by deannatrois; 01-12-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Dec 17, 7:22 PM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 89,641 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Zombie thread.

LotteryMan is spamming the forum.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    He might be, or he might be genuinely impressed.

The majority of cheap extractor fans fitted to British property are rubbish at clearing moisture-laden air, and there are plenty of people who report good results from PIV systems.

I'll offer an alternative source of info about the latter. Most people are bright enough to know that in any market there will be a number of providers.

This isn't a recommendation:

https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • lotteryman
    • By lotteryman 4th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lotteryman
    Hey " IamWales" -FYI I am NOT spamming the forum!
    I am trying to help people who are having a problem - I have no interest in any suggested remedies, I'm just simply offering my experiences.
    Part of the problem is that there are several forum users who have put their requests for help in different areas of the forums hence the repeated responses.
    and BTW I haven't put over 1000 posts on the forums!
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 4th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Look at this Wallrock Thermal Liner Product Code: TRETHER75SEAM.
    Wickes do a cheaper version but it is not as thick so not good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter