Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 521Posts
    • 309Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    Savings accounts accepting DD's
    • 27th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Savings accounts accepting DD's 27th Oct 17 at 11:29 AM
    Current list accepting new customers:
    Tesco (only until 04/18 for anyone)
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver Account (£10 minimum DD and £10 minimum balance)
    Post Office Online Saver (can only DD in from one nominated account, sketchy customer service feedback)
    Chip and Plum (app based)
    Birmingham Midshires Internet Saver Account (can only DD in from one nominated account, open with payment by cheque only, can change the linked account after)
    SAGA Telephone Easy Access Account (age 50+)
    https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-gb/ (unverified- see post #132)

Other DD ideas:
    Paypal (reported as in the process of being removed)
    Credit cards
    Charities
    Credit Unions
    Christmas Savings (not FSCS protected)
    http://www.littledebits.org

I will update this post with any other accounts that crop up but if you notice one that's not listed here just let me know (on the post itself or private message) and I'll update this post :-).
    Last edited by chockydavid1983; 06-01-2018 at 9:07 AM.
Page 13
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 4th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Maybe it's the effect of too much NY Cheer not helping me to think clearly .... or just the fog of generally helpful forum suggestions, but could you give me another clue to which websites to go to, to the set up of couple of £1 Tesco direct debits?

I hope I am assuming correctly that you mean to replace those Tesco DD's that will disappear in April.

TIA
    Originally posted by Bobblehat
    See one of the downsides of this forum is that there's too many smartarses. People trying to be way too clever for their own good and in looking for things that were never there they just look stupid.

Now as this is all just words on a screen I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - because I simply don't know for 100% how you meant the post above.

I mean, it comes across as being a smartarse but that may be just my interpretation of it and you may not have intended for it to be like that at all.

Because you quite clearly appear to have totally misunderstood my post by what you just said.

• sparky0138
    • By sparky0138 4th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    sparky0138
    How did people learn about Scottish Widows changing their direct debit terms please? My mum hasn't received any notification and because of this she probably won't receive her £250 switching bonus from Yorkshire Bank because although the first direct debit was taken in November (it was for £2), the second in December wasn't.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 4th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 8,751 Posts
    • 7,575 Thanks
    colsten

People seem to be acting like the MSE forum has single handedly had the D/D feature removed from Tesco and before that the additional requirement of direct debits in the first place to meet interest criteria on current accounts.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Nobody will ever be able to prove it one way or another but to me it is clear that the frenzy was started on MSE. It's not the first good offer/facility that MSE users have killed.

In my own search for what to do next i've found other websites that detail the easy hurdle by setting up a couple £1.00 Tesco direct debits.
    Again, it will be impossible to prove but I think there is every likelihood that other websites got the information from this forum.
    Last edited by colsten; 04-01-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 4th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    soulsaver
    How did people learn about Scottish Widows changing their direct debit terms please? My mum hasn't received any notification and because of this she probably won't receive her £250 switching bonus from Yorkshire Bank because although the first direct debit was taken in November (it was for £2), the second in December wasn't.
    Originally posted by sparky0138

That'll prob not be SW - it'll be some glitch with YB - it happened on mine & others on Tesco & YBS (egg) DDs too.

I've got £2 DDs with SW set up in November and all were taken from my Lloyds Club & Santander accounts Nov, December & Jan - £2 each.

Otherwise check you're onstream with YB for her bonus - and if not argue it's them YB that failed in the switch process. Or is there time to set up a Tesco DD? What date was the switch?
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 4th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    See one of the downsides of this forum is that there's too many smartarses. People trying to be way too clever for their own good and in looking for things that were never there they just look stupid.

Now as this is all just words on a screen I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - because I simply don't know for 100% how you meant the post above.

I mean, it comes across as being a smartarse but that may be just my interpretation of it and you may not have intended for it to be like that at all.

Because you quite clearly appear to have totally misunderstood my post by what you just said.
    I think it was just your interpretation of it! I did not mean it to be sarcastic in any way ... I just thought I had missed a way of replacing the Tesco DD's that will disappear in April with some other way of generating small DD's. It was your reference to "I've found other websites ......" that got me thinking I had missed something!

Please remember that not all members are financial experts and may ask what seems like silly questions to those that are experts!

You could afford to lighten up a bit to avoid insulting other forum members with genuine questions, even if those questions come from genuinely misunderstanding your post.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 5th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    clivep
    That'll prob not be SW - it'll be some glitch with YB - it happened on mine & others on Tesco & YBS (egg) DDs too.

I've got £2 DDs with SW set up in November and all were taken from my Lloyds Club & Santander accounts Nov, December & Jan - £2 each.

Otherwise check you're onstream with YB for her bonus - and if not argue it's them YB that failed in the switch process. Or is there time to set up a Tesco DD? What date was the switch?
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    It may have been SW...

Their t's & c's changed for the Internet Saver on 1st October and include "Any payments into your account after it is open must be at least £10".

I was aware of this when I opened my accounts in November and so my DD for YB was set up for £10 and was taken OK in December.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 5th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    soulsaver
    It may have been SW...

Their t's & c's changed for the Internet Saver on 1st October and include "Any payments into your account after it is open must be at least £10".

I was aware of this when I opened my accounts in November and so my DD for YB was set up for £10 and was taken OK in December.
    Originally posted by clivep

Still if they did it once they should continue and write emphasising the terms & requesting the change.

And after checking I can confirm they're still taking the £2 DDs I refer to.. as late as yesterday.

It'll be YB at fault.
    • sparky0138
    • By sparky0138 5th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    sparky0138

Originally posted by soulsaver
    No time to set up another DD unfortunately.

The thing is, when she goes online with SW, her nominated account (YB) has disappeared and she can't withdraw her balance (less than £10) unless she sets another one up so it does look like it's the change in T&C from SW that's caused the problems.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 5th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Scottish Widows Internet Saver - Direct Debits
    I set mine up 1.00 a week to satisfy Cooperative Bank 4 DDs a month for monthly reward.

23rd and 30th November direct debits as above.

Email from Scottish Widows mentioning needed proof of ownership of Bank Account, asked me to confirm that I still wanted to open the account, after confirming ........I got a reply mentioning minimum direct debit was 10.00. I replied saying I wasnt aware that ...I happy for direct debits to be 10.00.

Since 7th December direct debits have indeed been weekly 10.00
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 05-01-2018 at 5:11 PM.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 5th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I set mine up 1.00 a week to satisfy Cooperative Bank 4 DDs a month for monthly reward.

Email from Scottish Widows mentioning needed proof of ownership of Bank Account, asked me to confirm that I still wanted to open the account, after confirming ........I got a reply mentioning minimum direct debit was 10.00. I replied saying I wasnt aware that ...I happy for direct debits to be 10.00.

Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    What reward do you get from coop bank?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 5th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    soulsaver
    No time to set up another DD unfortunately.

The thing is, when she goes online with SW, her nominated account (YB) has disappeared and she can't withdraw her balance (less than £10) unless she sets another one up so it does look like it's the change in T&C from SW that's caused the problems.
    Originally posted by sparky0138
    Well SW would confirm that in a telephone call, wouldn't they?
    And you/she could ask them how they could do that without notice?

And I suspect they'll refer to a notification that hasn't been received; or received, not acted upon. Or maybe an email that's gone to junk?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 5th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    polymaff
    What reward do you get from coop bank?
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    Up to £5.50, typically £4 per month

https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/assets/pdf/bank/currentaccounts/everyday-rewards/everyday-rewards-at-a-glance.pdf
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 5th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    polymaff

Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    It is the twerps who set up a £1, rather than a more sensible £10.99 Tesco DD that bombed that scheme.

Once a Twerp ... ?
    Last edited by polymaff; 05-01-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Mchambers
    It is the twerps who set up a £1, rather than a more sensible £10.99 Tesco DD that bombed that scheme.

Once a Twerp ... ?
    Originally posted by polymaff
    That's life !!
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 5th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I typically get 5.50
    Often what I dont say is more significant than what i do say ........
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 6,056 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Any evidence to support that assertion?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 5th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    polymaff
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Of course.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 5th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Any evidence to to support it wasn't a major factor?

• eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Jan 18, 12:27 AM
    • 6,056 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Of course.
    Care to share?

Any evidence to to support it wasn't a major factor?
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    I'm not aware of Tesco having made any statement as to their reasons, other than (IIRC) suggesting that it's to do with all the regulatory changes coming in on the 13th, but as far as I'm concerned the burden of proof (or at least some sort of attempt to support the claim) rests with someone making the allegation rather than it being up to others to refute it. I could just as easily airily claim that they had too many account opening applications from 37-year-old green lobsters in Chalfont St Giles, safe in the knowledge that nobody could disprove that, but that wouldn't really constitute a particularly constructive line of debate!
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 6th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    veryintrigued

I'm not aware of Tesco having made any statement as to their reasons, other than (IIRC) suggesting that it's to do with all the regulatory changes coming in on the 13th, but as far as I'm concerned the burden of proof (or at least some sort of attempt to support the claim) rests with someone making the allegation rather than it being up to others to refute it. I could just as easily airily claim that they had too many account opening applications from 37-year-old green lobsters in Chalfont St Giles, safe in the knowledge that nobody could disprove that, but that wouldn't really constitute a particularly constructive line of debate!
    That's a 'no' then.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin