Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 24th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 45Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: PPI claimants winning four-figure payouts under new 'Plevin' rule
    • 24th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    MSE News: PPI claimants winning four-figure payouts under new 'Plevin' rule 24th Oct 17 at 3:06 PM
    Banks have started to pay out £1,000s to people reclaiming PPI under a new rule which means you may be able to claim back some of the cost just for having had a policy...
    Read the full story:
    'PPI claimants winning four-figure payouts under new 'Plevin' rule'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 25-10-2017 at 3:17 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 24th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 24th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 24th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    As with all these "success" stories, it would give context to know the amount the individual has borrowed and how much they repaid. My first thought when I see a high amount is what a terrible amount of debt they must have had and I hope they're in a better situation now.
    • sotonkona
    • By sotonkona 4th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sotonkona
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    Offer from Barclaycard
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    I made a claim (independently) to Barclaycard for an old Egg card which I had PPI on back in 2006. My claim was rejected and later sustained by the Ombudsman. However, the Ombudsman said in the rejection letter I could be entitled to compensation due to the Plevin case. On Saturday (2 months later) I received a letter from the Ombudsman saying that Barclaycard are prepared to offer me 'the amount of the commission that was over 50% of the total cost of my policy' with no reference to interest etc. They have recommended that I take the offer - what does everybody think? Has anyone had one of these letters? Should i accept the offer or hold out for interest?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    I received a letter from the Ombudsman saying that Barclaycard are prepared to offer me 'the amount of the commission that was over 50% of the total cost of my policy' with no reference to interest etc. ...Should i accept the offer or hold out for interest?
    Originally posted by sotonkona
    You do get interest.

Are you certain the figure offered doesn't include interest? I expect you'll find that it already does.

A Plevin refund is defined and is not somehow negotiable (from either side).
    • sotonkona
    • By sotonkona 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sotonkona
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    Thanks, I should receive the official letter from Barclaycard this week (according to the Ombudsman, as I have until 14 Dec to decline the offer) - I will double check the amounts and share.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,513 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    I made a claim (independently) to Barclaycard for an old Egg card which I had PPI on back in 2006. My claim was rejected and later sustained by the Ombudsman. However, the Ombudsman said in the rejection letter I could be entitled to compensation due to the Plevin case. On Saturday (2 months later) I received a letter from the Ombudsman saying that Barclaycard are prepared to offer me 'the amount of the commission that was over 50% of the total cost of my policy' with no reference to interest etc. They have recommended that I take the offer - what does everybody think? Has anyone had one of these letters? Should i accept the offer or hold out for interest?
    Originally posted by sotonkona
    The plevin ruling does require the addition of interest. Wait until you get the letter from Barclaycard.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Jon81
    • By Jon81 7th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Jon81
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    Just had a cheque from nationwide credit card for a previously rejected, then re opened complaint on this. There’s no breakdown on specifics of the amount arrived at but amounted to £431 on a card taken in 2002 and insurance kept active for if memory serves about 4 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin