Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornerwaysuk
    • By Cornerwaysuk 23rd Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cornerwaysuk
    Sec 75 Claim re Monarch
    • 23rd Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    Sec 75 Claim re Monarch 23rd Oct 17 at 1:42 PM
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to claim a consequential loss re my flight cancellation with Monarch?
    Basically, I booked the outbound flight with Easy jet and the return flight with monarch. The cost of the return flight with monarch was £175. On the day they went into administration I looked at re booking the return flight and the cost was over £300. If I cancel the outbound flight and my accommodation i lose around £500. If I re book the flight I need an extra £125? Can I claim the £125 through sec 75? Regards Eric
Page 2
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th Oct 17, 11:54 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,870 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Monarch sec 75
    The flights are not covered if booked after December 2016. I am flight only not a package.
    Originally posted by Cornerwaysuk
    You may have misunderstood - a flight-only Monarch booking made after December 2016 isn't covered by ATOL but this doesn't affect section 75 eligibility, and other avenues such as travel insurance or chargeback are potentially still available too, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights#flight for further details....
    • P3T3R
    • By P3T3R 19th Nov 17, 12:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    P3T3R
    Credit where its due
    I was in Mallorca when Monarch went into administration. The CAA did a great job of getting us home on the day that we were due to fly home.
    Also the week before they went into administration I had booked a return flight for October 2018 using a credit card and also some Tesco clubcard vouchers. When I returned home I used the "section 75" letter template on MSE website to send a claim in for next years flight. Tesco Bank were very good and phoned me twice querying a couple of things and have refunded in full. I also sent an e-mail to Tesco clubcard asking for a return of the amount that I had used for the flight. Today I received an e-mail informing me that they have refunded the amount of the voucher back into my clubcard account. Well done Tesco and the CAA.
    Last edited by P3T3R; 30-11-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 20th Nov 17, 10:18 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    catwoman73
    I don't believe that's strictly a consequential loss in the usual sense of the term, it's just a higher replacement cost, so in my opinion s75 would only cover refunding of the original cost of the Monarch ticket, provided you meet all relevant conditions of course (e.g. booked direct rather than through agent or PayPal).

Did you have travel insurance?

It may be worth reading through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights for the various options....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    I believe it is a consequential loss - the extra costs were caused by needing to book a replacement flight, but anyway. I'm currently disappointed by my travel insurer, who have verbally informed me that I was not covered for losses incurred due to needing to book replacement flights at short notice at higher cost, despite having scheduled airline failure cover on my travel insurer.

I currently feel that I have been let down from both angles as Tesco CC refunded the cost of my flights, but not consequential losses because they did the refund as a chargeback not a S75.

I'm not sure what the actual law is on this, but our £300 booking that could be interpreted as two return flights including luggage for two people was technically made up of 4 x single flights plus 4 x bags, average cost £40 each so not covered by S75.

I discussed claiming the consequential loss with my travel insurer who said that because Monarch failed 2 days before we travelled we were not covered and all the cover actually provided was repatriation if we were already away.

However, this is not clear in their policy (our situtation of needing to book replacement return flights before outward travel is not described in the 'what we cover' section or the 'what we don't cover' section, but it does say on their website about scheduled airline failure cover 'This protects you if your scheduled airline goes into insolvency enabling you to book equivalent flight(s) with another airline at no additional cost to yourself as we will fully reimburse you up to £5,000 per person in your party'. This is Columbus whose SAF section is actually provided by IPP.

I put a claim in for the extra £200 lost anyway and if they don't pay out, I will complain to the financial ombudsman that either - Tesco should treat my claim as S75 as the total purchase was over £100 so they should repay consequential losses, or Columbus/IPP should pay out because of what is says about SAF cover on their website.

Otherwise the cover hardly seems to be worth the paper it is written on as they would hardly ever have to pay out as almost everyone books on a credit or debit card these days so will always be covered by a chargeback anyway.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 23rd Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    catwoman73
    UPDATE. Two weeks after refunding my Monarch booking with no explanation of why they didn't pay my consequential losses, they have now asked for evidence of my consequential losses, ie a copy of booking for the more expensive replacement flights. So this is now looking hopeful.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 23rd Nov 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    I discussed claiming the consequential loss with my travel insurer who said that because Monarch failed 2 days before we travelled we were not covered and all the cover actually provided was repatriation if we were already away.
    Originally posted by catwoman73
    Would they have refunded the entire holiday if you had not booked those flights? If so and it was cheaper to book those flights than what they'd have too give you for the holiday, then it sounds like you were just mitigating your losses.

If they wouldn't pay out for the holiday when monarch collapsed then it sounds like you didn't have appropriate cover.
    Last edited by phillw; 23-11-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    • P3T3R
    • By P3T3R 30th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    P3T3R
    Have now booked flights on Easyjet, half the price of Monarchs, so all has worked out well for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin