Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 22nd Oct 17, 11:57 PM
    • 151Posts
    • 185Thanks
    camz2017
    Paying off debt to freedom
    • 22nd Oct 17, 11:57 PM
    Paying off debt to freedom 22nd Oct 17 at 11:57 PM
    Started my debt free diary, 31k in the red. The way I see it, the sooner I can become debt free the sooner I can live my life.

I am starting this diary as I have always kept my debt to myself, and I split with the girl I am seeing today... I think all of my debt and worries have meant I just ignored her, I feel bad I have literally said almost zero to her for the past 3 or 4 weeks, blanking her messages just thinking of my own mess. I was unsure how to tell her what is going on so I got kinda messy and couldn't explain myself and she naturally assumed I was hiding something and jumped to I have cheated...

Had a huge argument where she told me I encourage women to throw themselves at me and I am a psychopath, I'm a sociopath, and a horrible human being with no conscience guilt, can't remember what else, but basically told me I'm a horrible human being. I mean I can be an !!! at times, and I am quite nasty if I'm moody, but I do really care about those around me I feel sad my debt has caused this for me, as I'd have been fine otherwise. Amazing eh how debt can impact so much.

Anyway, felt like time to get my stuff together, get a diary going and vent out a little bit.

I imported all my spending for the past 4 months into YNAB, and it was frankly disgusting how I spent over £80 a month on fast food alone! So bad for my budget, and also my health! Likewise I spent £109 on average per month dining out!!! I have done a budget for next month, where I have said no fast food, and halved my dining out (with a view to phase out). I just think I am best to tackle one problem area per month, whilst keeping myself on budget and not going over into more debt. If I go crazy all at once, I know me, I will break everything and go wild.
    Last edited by camz2017; 23-10-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Page 7
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 2nd Dec 17, 12:25 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Sorted out my YNAB for the month so I am ready to go budget-wise for December now. Got my brother (not blood brother, but known him since the age of 2, and he lived with me for around 5 years) stopping by this weekend, super excited to see him, we will likely just play games and eat a tonne so nothing too expensive. Need his view of my life events as well, although I'm pretty sure he's gonna tell me to do bad things lol. I have budgeted £30 to take the guy Nandos, I owe him, his mum paid for me to join them at Miami last year, she literally wouldn't take a penny bless her. They did kinda owe me, as years ago when we lived together I covered his rent a few times (pre my debt days) and I didn't want him to pay me back tbh, just wanted him to get himself back on his feet and sorted out, which he did... Anyway, sharing the love
    Last edited by camz2017; 03-12-2017 at 1:19 AM.
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 3rd Dec 17, 1:41 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Really glad my friends here, needed a close friend to talk to as my heads been absolutely all over the place.

...He's where I get a lot of my nasty behaviours from though, we were always in trouble as kids etc.
    The lady in mcdonalds was being really slow today, and getting the order wrong over and over, he really wanted to get his milkshake, take the lid off and throw it over her. I genuinely had to pull his arm to stop him doing it when she served him... It wasn't even the same person serving as who took the order! Such a d*ck - your typical mercedes driver lol. I'm definitely the good one out of us, also wasn't feeling a police visit!!

Spend today, £3 in mcdonalds (2 mcflurrys and 1 apple pie) - yes I ate them all together lol.
    £12 as we're doing fake xmas dinner tomorrow for me and my friend whos over + my housemate (who may contribute - or provide wine)

Will spend £10 tomorrow max.

Might ask my friend to stay for a week or two, he's between jobs right now (starts a new one in 2018), but it's massively massively sorting my head out having him around. When I grew up, I used to basically live at his (as my family wasn't great), and would always fall asleep next to the guy... so quite happy to share my enormous super king bed... To be clear, he is the only exception everyone else can sleep downstairs.
    Last edited by camz2017; 03-12-2017 at 2:08 AM.
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 3rd Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Spent today £7.49 - £6.50 on alcohol, 99p on a mcflurry (I know I have an issue), I have a sugar addition and it's getting worse haha.

Fake xmas was so much fun My friend got me a dashcam, he knows I'm always involved in dramas on the road... Was so excited installing it lol. I can start sharing with you my driving dramas in VIDEO format - YAY! Get ready, you can all hear me shouting at people now in Full HD.

I don't get how anyone lives without a car, I honestly drive every single day, I have done 10,000+ miles since April. Maybe as I'm a northerner I'm used to driving, but this whole you can live in London without a car nonsense is amusing... You can, but it's gonna suck lugging 12 bottles of water 20 mins down the road.

Did gym 5am to 8am (3 hours of gym), 1 hour cardio, 2 hours of weights etc... I honestly can't move my whole body right now but I LOVE it, feel proud, like I'm going to make some serious gains.
    Last edited by camz2017; 03-12-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 5th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 2,353 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    My friend got me a dashcam, he knows I'm always involved in dramas on the road... Was so excited installing it lol.
    Originally posted by camz2017

Yeah, my OH managed to crack my windscreen and break the auto-dim on my rearview mirror when he installed mine!!
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*
    *2017 cashback pending £84.37, paid £??*
    (2011=£137.30, 12=£66.39, 13=£102.61, 14=£214.97, 15=£159.51 16=£213.05)
    Pro.Ac £10.10 + £126.19 paid
    SAVINGS TO CLEAR STUDENT LOAN £0.00 (£528.56 paid off)

• camz2017
    • By camz2017 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    How in the world did he manage that!? That’s hilarious... I like to think I’m quite handy, feel free to invite me over in future for technical installations.

I’m going to pop some lights up on the house later, make it nice and Christmassy.

Just headed to b&m on the hunt for cheap bulbs - 4 blew last night all at once. Tesco’s price of £3 per bulb scared me.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 5th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 2,353 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    How in the world did he manage that!? Thatís hilarious...

Decided to hard-wire it in, RV mirror closest point of power.... took the surround apart and broke the connector for the auto-dim... after blowing up the dashcam (points round the wrong way) he put the surround back on, gave it a good thump and cracked my windscreen! A lovely radiating crack.... 3 days before my MOT was due by which time it had spread right across my screen in 5 directions!! I was not laughing!!

How you getting on with the festive lights?

• camz2017
    • By camz2017 5th Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Decided to hard-wire it in, RV mirror closest point of power.... took the surround apart and broke the connector for the auto-dim... after blowing up the dashcam (points round the wrong way) he put the surround back on, gave it a good thump and cracked my windscreen! A lovely radiating crack.... 3 days before my MOT was due by which time it had spread right across my screen in 5 directions!! I was not laughing!!

How you getting on with the festive lights?
    Originally posted by natsplatnat
    Oh my god!!! He really over complicated things haha.
    I just got the dashcam wire, the cable slotted right under the ceiling of the car and then behind the rubber bit around the door. I then entered the cable under the passenger glove box (there's some plastic I can pop it under), and to the cig port. You don't see a cable. I'm way too lazy to try and get things hard wired!

Lights look good, found them in the house already, lit up around the door nicely. Found a t-shirt my mate bought me earlier in the year with a giant WIFI written on the front, apparently I'm obsessed with being on WiFi, which is true, you need to be online, so this is how I'm roaming around now, hid my face for obvious reasons Maybe people will just give me the WiFi password now? (Old pic)
    Last edited by camz2017; 05-12-2017 at 9:22 PM.
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 5th Dec 17, 10:21 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    ...As a sidenote in the end Natwest declined me for the loan, so now I have things sitting at silly APRs, but in a way it's a kick up in the right direction to make me deal with things. I called MBNA they said my credit limit was too utilised for any deals to show right now, but they did increase the limit to 12K meaning as of next month if I am eligible offers will begin showing (start of Feb onwards they said). They also moved my debt down to 6.9% until June 2019, and some of it to October 2019, I did try to flirt with the lady a little in the end lol, she spoke to a manager. Good result.
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 6th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Hello! I have read through your diary and I think you’re doing well! It’s a shame about the loan but well done for calling the bank and getting them to change the interest rates- hopefully that will make a massive difference! I also spend way too much on food! Sunday roasts in nice pubs are my biggest downfall... have you managed to cut down at all?
    ETA x
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 6th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Cut down massively on food, still spending more than I would ideally want to but I've come to terms with it, and just budget for it. It has meant I've had to sacrifice eating out and going out a lot, as well as basically deciding to not buy new clothes for a while, but it's all priorities. What I have done is to setup a second bank account with Monzo, where I have a standing order enter every 14 days with my budget, this way I can only spend what I have. I've shifted away from using my AMEX to buy everything (I think Credit is a bad idea for me right now).

Lunch wise, I either take in Lunch or have the £3 tesco meal-deal, no exceptions. I prefer taking it in as then I get much better protein and macros for the day. I seem to have developed a new habit though, crazy amounts of red bull lol - my end of years been stressful I'm barely sleeping. I did however get it cheap at a bulk buy store.

Also yay - new people!!! Thanks for reading!
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 6th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Going on a double date tonight with my friend, someone he met and then me and one of my ex's friends lol... I wont even lie I'm doing this purely to annoy my ex, but still quite excited for the date!! I haven't been on one in ages, like months. Nothing to expensive, just a meal out, probably spend £15 to £20.

also I suck at taking lunch to work, I end up eating it before lunch haha - and then I get hungry again later...
    Last edited by camz2017; 06-12-2017 at 6:38 PM.
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 6th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    It sounds like a you’ve got a good system! I agree about still spending a bit on stuff that you see as I priority. I worry that if I cut everything out then I’ll end up slipping up a lot quicker! I just need to not decide that everything I want is a priority... Would coffees at home work out cheaper (and better for you) than red bulls? Is there a kitchen or cafe at your work that you could eat at so that your lunch doesn’t tempt you mid morning? Enjoy your date!
    ETA x
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 6th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Well I'm back, met her at a place 5 mins from mine - nice and easy for me!
    She was really friendly actually, not sure how I feel about it, but was fun. My main concern is the baggage that comes with it from the ex lol, otherwise I'd be so game.

I already drink coffee lol...

Apparently my blood pressure, blood sugar, and heart rate are just fine, which I was a bit unsure of given my love of sugar and caffeine. If I'm honest though, there's just something about Red Bull that gets me fired up, but I have been having pre-workout instead (expensive though)!

I work as a consultant so I'm all over, at various different offices, most are in the centre of London so the expectation is you just eat out or use the microwave. I might cut out sugar and caffeine, but I did that a few weeks back and I was such a !!!!*r to everyone

I have a crazy metabolism, if I eat below 2500 calories I start to lose weight, and since gaining muscle mass I find I'm on 3000+ a day, just maintaining, budget wise it is really tough when I want 200g+ protein (everything with protein is expensive e.g. whey powder, protein bars, protein yogurts, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese), then I try and get in my 5 portions of fruit (again fruit is soooo expensive), I take a bunch of vitamins and supplements as well (expensive). At least my body is healthy.

A typical day might look like
    Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 toast, 1 protein shake = 360 calories (20g carb, 14g fat, 37g protein)
    Mid Morning: 1 banana + apple = 185 calories (50g carbs, 0 fat, 1.5g protein)
    Lunch: 2 skinless chicken breasts + steamed veg + red bull = 520 calories (37.5 carb, 7.5gfat, 60g protein)
    Afternoon snack: protein shake = 100 calories (20g protein)
    Dinner: Brown pasta + Tofu + tomato sauce = 508 cals (62g carbs, 18g fat, 30g protein)
    Evening snacks: Grapes handfull (62 calories) - 16g carbs
    Skyr Yogurt Drink: 213 calories (28g carbs, 20g protein)
    Skyr Yogurt * 2 = 240 calories (28g carbs 32g protein)
    Galaxy chocolate bar = 250 calories (25g carbs, 15g fat)

I also drink 4litres of water, drink green tea, and have 1 or 2 coffees.

Total for the day 2445 calories (268g carbs, 57g fat, 204g protein) - that's a typical day.
    YOU HAVE TO EAT A LOT TO GET TO 2500 CALORIES, unless I just eat junk (which I couldn't do to myself)!!

But even then I'd want to get in an extra 500 calories somehow, so I might drink like some orange juice or something (nuts, protein cereal, tuna and sweetcorn) just to ensure I keep up the weight, or maybe some pizza lol (depends how bad I wanna be)... But if I'm honest that ends up being forced calories just because I don't wanna be weedy, so I just eat it cause I need to lol.

When you look at my diet, over a week, it's easily £60 spent.
    Last edited by camz2017; 06-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 7th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Got the most angry message ever from my ex today when I told her I went on a date with this girl. Sooooooooo funny, hahahahhaha!! So I did what every nice guy would do, I asked her on a second date. I just love this lol, man I'm cruel, and you know what - I don't care! Screw her loool

My tinder is blowing up today, which is making me quite happy My tinder success rate is usually poor, must have swiped 1000s and have like 100 matches lol, but today virtually everyones a match Not getting much success in terms of anyone chatting to me though lol, just 2 people!

Finally got my standing order setup from my natwest to my spending debit card, so now it's all automated and I can forget about it. Natwest actually had messed up the system somehow, I've put in a complaint as it took them 7 days to fix the ability to setup standing orders, going to push them and see if they offer me compensation I like free money.
    Last edited by camz2017; 07-12-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    • jemreading
    • By jemreading 7th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    jemreading
    Hi Cam, I don’t normally post on others diaries but yours makes me laugh (especially the comment when you said you were angry and going for a run and may end up kicking a child and ending up in the daily mail )

I will subscribe when I’m not on my phone!

I’m not sure if you have addressed it, forgive me if I have, but have you addressed how you got into the 31K of debt? You seemed determined not to get into debt again but I found it helped me to figure out where my debt money went to!!
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 7th Dec 17, 6:03 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Itís a whole bunch of things but mainly just being fresh to London out of uni, rental was high, spent a lot and didnít earn that much.

I just never really stuck to a budget, it was easier to bury my head in the sand and just spend. I genuinely thought I was able to balance my budget and I was travelling a lot with work (eg went to over 20 countries in a year often for 2+ weeks at a time, so I had over £3000 of expenses monthly, some months were 7k+. My expenses went on my credit card but so was my spending. My expenses meant my personal spending was impossible to track easily. Like if I saw £7000 on my credit card I didnít really worry as I just thought itíll be cleared when my expenses hit.

As the years went on my balances got bigger and bigger. As I was paying thousands back every month the credit card companies kept upping my limits.

I also used to play around a lot, lots of nights out, dates, that kind of stuff. Spent a fair bit on takeaway and eating out as well, when away with Work I wouldnít have a kitchen and definitely went over my expenses allowances.
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 7th Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Interestingly every girl I’ve ever dated has always assumed when I go away with work, that I have a line of girls waiting to sleep with me at the Hilton Hotel abroad. Not sure where this idea comes from but it seems every women has the same idea embedded into them. The reality is I end up sitting in the hotel, trying to get the WiFi to work, ordering room service (usually a bad expensive burger), watching the news channel as it’s the only English option... But apparently I’m getting all the action
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 7th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    That’s a lot of food! I think that £60 is pretty reasonable considering how much you must be able to get for it. I can imagine it’s expensive to try and eat lunch in the middle of London... DH comes from London so whenever we visit his friends it shocks me how expensive everything seems! Well done for not getting tempted by restaurants though!
    I’m glad your date went well! Would you have invited your lady out on a second date if it wouldn’t upset your ex though? I know it’s none of my business but I wonder if you might end up with two people sending you angry messages if she finds out you didn’t really enjoy your time with her as much as she thought...
    ETA x
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 7th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    camz2017
    Where you based now out of interest?
    I’m glad your date went well! Would you have invited your lady out on a second date if it wouldn’t upset your ex though?
    Erm hard to say, she's stunning like seriously so attractive, but her personality isn't majorly drawing me.
    I know it’s none of my business but I wonder if you might end up with two people sending you angry messages if she finds out you didn’t really enjoy your time with her as much as she thought...
    ETA x
    Yep, sounds like the kind of situation I'd get myself into lol. In uni I was with a girl for over a year and had been seeing her best friend for around 3 months, the best mate used to be like "I feel bad" and then five mins later be stripping my clothes off lol. Women make no sense!! I'm not feeling the drama, I've had my share, so might hold off on this one - I say this as I'm currently texting her lol Also - I don't need the bad karma either tbh .- already got enough of that!
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 8th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 2,353 Thanks
    natsplatnat

I also drink 4litres of water,

How? No, seriously - how do you manage this? I force myself to drink around 2 pints of water each day.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

599Posts Today

4,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @faisalislam: Normalisation of words ?traitor/treachery? to mean ?people who disagree with my belief?... Not entirely sure how political?

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin