Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Zoefb0610
    • By Zoefb0610 19th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Morhercar car seats
    • 19th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    Morhercar car seats 19th Oct 17 at 3:37 PM
    I went to the store to get advice on car seats and isofix bases for a new baby. I requested rear facing for an extended period (beyond the 9 months required by the old regulations, to up to 4 as required by the new regulations).
    The staff member recommended the FamilyFix base and Pebble car seat (which is rear facing to 1 year). She said after one year we would just move on to the Pearl car seat.
    Now that our baby is nearly one, I have been looking up the next stage car seat. I now realise that the base will only hold a Pearl car seat that is forward facing only.
    I have complained to Mothercare as I think I was missold the isofix base, i asked for extended rear facing, but now I will have to move to a forward facing seat.
    They say I cannot have an exchange or refund as it is too late and I should have complained within a couple of months. But it is only now the baby is nearly one that I have looked up the next car seats and discovered this problem. I asked for rear facing to 4 years old and the base they recommended will only allow for rear facing to one year. I feel I have definitely been missold this item but they will not exchange or refund (I have gone through the basic customer complaint and the escalations by emailing the chief exec.)
    Any suggestions on what to do next?
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 19th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 21,396 Thanks
    • 19th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    They are correct, and proving you were mis-sold at this late stage will be impossible. Perhaps they mis-understood your requirements, but you should have also double checked this before/after the purchase.

A very quick Google of rear facing car seats gives you a list of suitable ones at each stage.

The Pebble is fine until your child is up to 15 months depending on their size. Mine fitted in the pebble until 16 months. Just check their head hasn't gone over the top.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 6,353 Thanks
    • 19th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    Is it possible they!!!8217;ve changed seat designs within the last year and maybe back then extended rear facing was possible but not anymore?

Even if that is not the case it is down to you to prove that you were mis-sold the base, as it was an instore verbal conversation that will be impossible. Even if the member of staff was still there they are unlikely to remember you or the conversation after this length of time and even if they did they could deny ever saying it was possible.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 15,888 Posts
    • 11,895 Thanks
    • 19th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    Fittings depend on the type of car you have perhaps?
    Which manucturer actually makes your car seat? You would have been better off buying straight from

Edit-it!!!8217;s made by maxi Cosi
    Last edited by hollydays; 19-10-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    • L&ES
    • By L&ES 9th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    Hi I know this was posted a while ago but just come across it while searching for something else car seat related. I know it probably doesn't help now but the seats you should have purchased were the maxi Cosi pebble plus with 2way fix base which is then used for the 2 way pearl. I have these seats and I wanted the extended rear facing seat hoping to use it for longer rear facing but my son is now 2 and I have turned him forward facing already as he's so big and heavy it's really difficult getting him in and out rear facing!
    I'm glad we got them though as he outgrew his carrier seat at 10 months and he seemed too young to go forward facing then so it meant he went rear facing for an extra year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

400Posts Today

3,916Users online

Martin's Twitter