Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs.butler
    • By mrs.butler 19th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 139Posts
    • 841Thanks
    mrs.butler
    Cheques in Maiden Name
    • 19th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    Cheques in Maiden Name 19th Oct 17 at 11:14 AM
    Hi, I have recently been successful with reclaiming some PPI charges with MBNA, who my account is now closed with.

They will be sending payment by cheque, but the account was in my Maiden Name.

I have been with First Direct for over 10 Years, so they will have record of my Maiden Name, and have been sent by Marriage Certificate before to confirm the change to my married name.

Will I be able to bank them?
Page 2
    • Badger50
    • By Badger50 30th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Badger50
    Coming a bit late to this. What I would do is go into a branch of HSBC with my First Direct bank card and birth and marriage certificates. Maybe driving licence or passport as well to be on the safe side. There's a good chance they will accept the cheque - but if they can't or won't ask them to open a new account in the maiden name.

My wife successfully paid into her own account a cheque made out to her deceased mother several years after the estate had been wound up and the executor account closed.. The amount was £250 and it was Lloyds but it shows that the people in bank branches do have considerable discretion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter