IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Please help - parking charge complete lies!

Hello. I need some advice please. Today I received a parking charge from Park Watch. It states that I arrived at my local Tesco at 08:39 on 9th October and left at 19:51, apparently I was in Tesco for 11 hours and 12minutes 🤣🤣🤣 There are pictures of my car arriving and leaving and whilst these images are correct I was not there for this length of time.

After dropping my daughter at school I did the food shop by myself until around 10am and then went home. That evening my daughter asked to buy black pens for school so my husband drove us all to Tesco around 7pm. This is not against the parking policy as it is no return within four hours.

Why has the camera not registered the car leaving and returning. What am I suppose to do. I have pregnancy relating problems and suppose to be resting yet I am sitting here in tears because of these lies and a fine for £85.
JULES
DMP:LBM May 2008 £50,970.68
December 2013 £0
Thanks to Stepchange
PPI reclaimed £13,157.58 :Thanks to MSE and Martin

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    anpr is notoriously inacurate, this is what is known as a double dip.
    There could also be a breach of the data protection act at play.
    was this a small tesco local? do you know who's car park it is?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a simular experience on Sunday where an anpr could not read my vrn, it happens all the time, this is why councils have been stopped using it.
    The ppc's think its the best system invented I wonder why!
    You have been double dipped my friend.
    First stop get back to Tesco and speak to the manager, don't get fobbed off it Is their problem not yours.
  • Julesiep
    Julesiep Posts: 180 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Half_way wrote: »
    anpr is notoriously inacurate, this is what is known as a double dip.
    There could also be a breach of the data protection act at play.
    was this a small tesco local? do you know who's car park it is?

It is a small shopping centre with a Tesco Extra in it. It is called the Weston Favell Centre and is in Northampton.
    JULES
    December 2013 £0
    Thanks to Stepchange
  • Do you have both receipts?

Make some noise with Tescos, providing copies of both receipts and explaining what happened. They have missed the ANPR recordings of you leaving the first time and entering the second. Pressurise Tesco into getting it cancelled

Also write to the PPC with all the same information. Write in robust terms:

Dear Sirs

I refer to your communication dated x.

On the day in question I entered and left the car park twice. The first time I entered at about x am, shopped at Tesco and left at about xam. I enclose a copy of my till receipt timed at x am. On the first occasion I was driving. The second time, I was not the driver, another family member was, although I was in the car. We entered the car park at about xpm and shopped again at Tesco, leaving at about x pm. I enclose a copy of the till receipt timed at x pm.

In between the two visits I went home. I can produce various pieces of evidence (eg text messages and mobile telephone records) as well as a narrative explanation to demonstrate what I did during those hours.

You are claiming that the car remained in the car park for the entire day, between the first entry and the second exit.

The information supplied in this letter clearly demonstrates that you have made an error, which I understand is common with ANPR systems and is known as "double dipping". Either your system has failed in not recognising the car leaving the first time and arriving the second time, or it has failed to record the car leaving and returning later.

The mistake is of your making, not mine. I did not breach any parking conditions and nor did the person driving the car on the second occasion. You have therefore wrongly obtained my data, and are wrongfully processing and retaining it. Please cease to process my data immediately and do not retain it.

I am pregnant and suffering complications and I am finding your incorrect accusation and threat of proceedings distressing. Please do not write to me again.

Out of courtesy, I should let you know that if you continue to process/retain my data, or if you contact me again about this matter (either yourselves or via debt collectors) then I will claim against you for damages and injunctive relief under of the Data Protection Act and Protection from Harassment Act.

Yours faithfully etc

Please don't worry about this, you have a good defence if they do proceed. Make a note now about what you did in between the two visits - eg what did you watch on tv, anything memorable about what you watched that you remember? did you call anyone/text anyone? Did anyone come over to visit you? did you use the car at all during the rest of the day, eg to collect your daughter from school? Did you go to any other shops, visit a friend etc? Did anyone see you driving? Eg other mums at school. Your partner will of course be able to add to this - you and the car must have been there when he came home, and he drove you all there for the second visit. Write it all down now while it is fresh in your memory and get whatever documentary evidence there is (eg text messages) to show that you were not there, and had the car with you, between the two visits.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Half_way
    another question, do you have a smartphone? if so what model? it may be of use in proving your location

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Half_way wrote: »
    another question, do you have a smartphone? if so what model? it may be of use in proving your location
    This is something to do with google maps I think - your phone keeps a record of where you were (bit creepy). I don't know how to access the information but other posters will.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Half_way
    Google maps on a computer, log in using the same Google account that's on your phone and select time line, from the drop down menu on the left, then in the gear icon bottom right select raw data, and then click on each red dot. not always 100%accurate, as it depends on the services location settings but gives a good idea of location.
    I've found it top be useful to work out where I was, and how long a journey took such as Cardiff to Sitingbourne

• Julesiep
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I can’t find the receipts. I used card the second time but cash the first time. However I have gone back through the day and signed for a gousto delivery at 11:22. I also picked my daughter up from school choir at 16:30. Did an online order for my daughter’s school meals at 17:09 and I rang the vets which is actually next door to Tesco at 17:12.

TBH if I had the energy I actually live close enough to walk to Tesco, there would be no point in leaving my car there all day when I have a perfectly good garage and driveway!

I have emailed the parking company as well as the shopping centre management team. The shopping centre has rang back and seemed to understand what I was saying. (A pregnant woman balling her eyes out!) They are going to contact the parking company so I am hopeful. If it gets cancelled should I still mention the breach in data?
    JULES
    December 2013 £0
    Thanks to Stepchange
  • Julesiep
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 October 2017 at 5:22PM
    Wow just want to say a massive thank you for the phone map suggestion. I don’t have google maps on my phone but found details of my Tesco visits on my IPhone location (as well as where I was the rest of the day). Absolutely brilliant!

aw6a36.jpg

This also means I can give the parking company appeals the exact times I arrived and left inbetween
    JULES
    December 2013 £0
    Thanks to Stepchange
  • wooder
    wooder Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't be so polite with the thieving t*ssers

My old Dad was getting bombarded with threatening letters so I sent this, over a year ago, and hey, wouldn't you know, all the letters suddenly stopped - you're welcome to use any or all of it if it helps :-

Dear Sir

I am writing this on behalf of the registered keeper who is an 85 year old disabled blue badge holder with mobility problems.

To reiterate - the facts relating to this fake parking charge are as follows:-

The registered keeper and the driver of the vehicle visited The Range store in St Helens in the morning and purchased a curtain pole, which turned out to be faulty, so they returned later that afternoon to exchange it. That’s two separate visits each of less than half an hour and about four hours apart as confirmed by the previously sent receipts. We have an independent witness ( the person who came to fit the curtain pole and subsequently found it to be faulty) who can place the vehicle and driver at the registered keepers address at lunchtime that day.

Clearly, the evidence we have, (receipts, times and witnesses who will testify) proves that the registered keepers car left the car park in the morning and then returned later that afternoon.

I am well aware of the so called ‘double dipping’ scam that you operate from this car park, having spoken to others with whom you have tried the same tactic, and realise that you know full well that two visits were made that day but choose to deliberately withhold the photographs of the car leaving in the morning and returning in the afternoon in an attempt to fraudulently obtain money from the registered keeper.

I would suggest that you are in breach of the Fraud Act 2006 and it is my intention therefore to file an online report to the National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre regarding this matter. I will also be making a complaint to The Range store, the BPA, the DVLA and the media as I feel that it is about time that organisations such as yours, who engage in this kind of criminal activity, are exposed.

No further correspondence will be entered into
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport