Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ossie48
    • By ossie48 18th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 46Thanks
    ossie48
    State pension forecast
    • 18th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    State pension forecast 18th Oct 17 at 11:28 AM
    Forecast £159.55 a week 32 years of full contributions, 16 years to contribute, 3 years when you did not contribute enough.

Estimate based on NI record up to April 2016 £145.88 a week

You can make up the shortfall
    Pay a voluntary contribution of £733.20 by 5 April 2023. This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2019.

As I'm early retired and made no contributions for the last few years is the 'voluntary contribution' above an accrual or would I have to pay all the voluntary contributions that are listed year by year. In other words 2014/15 was £722, previous year £54. Tried ringing the help line but cant get a reply.

Cheers
Page 4
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 6,063 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Hi all, I am 55 this month and plan to retire in 2 years time. I have work and have always worked full time.

My Gov state pension forecast says I will currently get £129.83 on my current contribution but get £159.55 if I work until 2029 which I don't want to do.

I have 39 years of full national insurance contributions and will have a final salary defined benefits pension when I retire in 2 years time.

I also have a COPE of £62.99 per week.

So my question is will I get my full state pension if I only work for 2 more years and if not can I purchase more years and when is it best to do this.

Many thanks for any help in advance
    Originally posted by LULULU1
    No, you won't get a full state pension. The two further years will add 2/35ths of the full amount (just under £10) to your starting amount.

If you get another pension forecast when you retire you can see how many years you are short and then pay voluntary class 3 contributions for as many years up to State Retirement Age as you need to take you up to the maximum

This guide explains it all
    https://www.royallondon.com/Global/documents/GoodWithYourMoney/TOPPING-UP-YOUR-STATE-PENSION-GUIDE.pdf
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 11th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    But think carefully before buying the final year as that isn't necessarily as cost effective.

While you are well short of the full £159.55 each year you buy will add £4.55 to your weekly State Pension payment and that is seen as a good use of the £741 it costs to buy the year. Depending on your tax position you normally get the £741 back in extra pension in about 4 years.

But if you buy extra year(s) National Insurance and get to say £158.95, buying another year to get the full £159.55 wont be quite as attractive as you would still have to pay £741 but will really only get 60p/week in return.

So instead of taking around 4 years to recoup your original £741 it will be more like 30 years before you see the full £741 back in increased pension.
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 11-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 17,942 Posts
    • 12,208 Thanks
    molerat
    I intend to do some part time work after I retire from fulltime work in 2020.
    Originally posted by LULULU1
    Just make sure you earn more than £113 per week (the "LEL", increased by inflation each year https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions) and you will get NI credits
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • LULULU1
    • By LULULU1 11th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    LULULU1
    So are you saying as long as I earn £113 per week my national insurance contributions will be all covered to give me full pension.

Thanks
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 17,942 Posts
    • 12,208 Thanks
    molerat
    Pretty much. As long as you earn 52 times the LEL in a year you will be credited with a whole year. If you don't make that then each week you earn in excess of the LEL you will be credited with one week. The £113 is for 2017-18, the LEL increases each year with inflation.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,502Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin