Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 17th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,006Posts
    • 1,219Thanks
    Snakey
    Cheap chocolate tree decorations that don't taste hideous?
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    Cheap chocolate tree decorations that don't taste hideous? 17th Oct 17 at 7:11 PM
    Any ideas? All I ever seem to see are the Cadbury ones in the shape of parcels, and they are very expensive for what they are.

A few years back I picked some up that were like baubles, but I can't for the life of me remember where from.
Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    I think cheap chocolate tree decorations are cheap for a reason - they taste hideous.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,197 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 18th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    Just sellotape a few Maltesers to the tree.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 18th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 18th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    • 18th Oct 17, 9:26 AM
    tasty cheap chocolate is indeed an oxymoron, in fact either all chocolate tastes horrible now (US impact?) or my taste buds have changed.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 18th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    tasty cheap chocolate is indeed an oxymoron, in fact either all chocolate tastes horrible now (US impact?) or my taste buds have changed.
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    I rarely eat any chocolate apart from Green & Blacks.
    High cocoa content means you only want a small amount at any one time.
    A 100gm bar will last me a month.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 18th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 18th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 18th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    I rarely eat any chocolate apart from Green & Blacks.
    High cocoa content means you only want a small amount at any one time.
    A 100gm bar will last me a month.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I rarely each chocolate, I more of a cheese lover, but Green & Blacks was always my go to too (!)
    I had some almond a few weeks ago and it tasted different, so I googled and they have been taken over. I so hope that it's my taste buds, and they don't mess with butterscotch!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 18th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    I rarely each chocolate, I more of a cheese lover, but Green & Blacks was always my go to too (!)
    I had some almond a few weeks ago and it tasted different, so I googled and they have been taken over. I so hope that it's my taste buds, and they don't mess with butterscotch!
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    Or ginger.
    Or burnt toffee.

I have however gone off the dark chocolate with chilli.
    G&B have a new range called 'velvet edition'.

Apologies to the OP as this discussion of good quality albeit expensive chocolate is not answering the question.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 18th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    Snakey
    • 18th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 18th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    Maybe not but it has made me want proper chocolate.

And inspired me. I am going to... buy some G&B's miniatures, wrap them in festive (or maybe metallic) paper, attach them to the tree with lametta. Sound good? OK not bauble shaped, but more interesting than the Cadburys ones and maybe even less expensive per 100g given the mark-up on anything Christmas-branded. (And I'd never be able to wrap anything bauble-shaped in a sufficiently professional manner, before you shake the Malteasers at me again.)
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 5,364 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 18th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    And inspired me. I am going to... buy some G&B's miniatures, wrap them in festive (or maybe metallic) paper, attach them to the tree with lametta. Sound good?
    Originally posted by Snakey
    It does in fact I might pinch the idea, you could get some christmas stickers to put on as well it you go for plain metalic paper.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Maybe not but it has made me want proper chocolate.

And inspired me. I am going to... buy some G&B's miniatures, wrap them in festive (or maybe metallic) paper, attach them to the tree with lametta. Sound good? OK not bauble shaped, but more interesting than the Cadburys ones and maybe even less expensive per 100g given the mark-up on anything Christmas-branded. (And I'd never be able to wrap anything bauble-shaped in a sufficiently professional manner, before you shake the Malteasers at me again.)
    Originally posted by Snakey
    Well, we have been of help then.

Tesco do 12 G&B miniatures for £5.50.
    • brook_son
    • By brook_son 19th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 4,975 Thanks
    brook_son
    Not the cheapest option (although you do get offers on them) but I always buy the Lindor chocolate truffles. Its easy to tie on a piece of string and put them on the tree. Also they come in various colour so look nice too.

Carry on Comping
    • zanuda
    • By zanuda 20th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    zanuda
    1. DIY - either get some nice chocolates and make it into Christmas decoration (like in previous answer), or .. you know, melt into forms - those "cooking with kids" activity...
    2. Lindor has nice chocolate decorations, unfortunately, made from milk chocolate rather then dark one. I was buying it from Waitrose for last couple of years. They might have it this year again
    3. M&S, it's sweeter then in N2 and a chocolate quality is not as good but still on OK side rather then hideous.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 15th Nov 17, 2:54 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I have glass decorations (oval) on the tree that open up like little gift boxes. I put a few heroes/celebrations/roses in there.

The first year I did it, I didn't tell the others and it took them ages to realise that there were sweets on the tree (they'd already eaten the rest of the boxes!).
    • max99x
    • By max99x 15th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 5,691 Thanks
    max99x
    I think i saw some in HotelChocolat last year that looked nice, not cheap but you know the choc will taste great, sure they'll have them again
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,428 Thanks
    MMF007
    Elizabeth Shaw mints in foil? U could add a black cotton loop to hang them with?
    Am nicking the g&b minis idea to insert into my hm crackers, ta!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 20th Nov 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Sad fact of life - cheap chocolates rarely taste as good as high end brands

We usually have the Lindt chocolate bears, this year I have bought OH a Lindt Advent Calendar, he will love it.

We have had Hotel Chocolat and Chococo, both divine and expensive. We eat very little chocolate the rest of the year.
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 20th Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    The Moser Roth range in Aldi tastes quite nice. Don't know if they do decorations though.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • wunferall
    • By wunferall 23rd Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    wunferall
    I think i saw some in HotelChocolat last year that looked nice, not cheap but you know the choc will taste great, sure they'll have them again
    Originally posted by max99x
    They are.
    And for the person who suggested Lindor .............. they do a pack of tree decorations. A set of 6 for £3-49, two for £6 - plus P&P of course on their own website.
    And now I have the munchies.
    Thanks.
    • Silly Worms
    • By Silly Worms 25th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Silly Worms
    FYI the Lindor Christmas tree decorations along with a few other nicer-looking ones were available in our local Tesco Extra yesterday.
    • zanuda
    • By zanuda 29th Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    zanuda
    At the moment Aldi has milk chocolate Christmas tree decorations. I don't know the quality of the chocolate, but it's only £1. You could buy one try and buy more if you like it.

One thing though, it's not on the website. And they sell it in special buy section rather then candy/chocolate one. It's a small package of 10 balls, chocolates wrapped in withe foil with red stars.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

1,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin