Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 3,738Thanks
    ladymay
    Starting over...
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    Starting over... 15th Oct 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi all!

It's been a while since I've used this website and forum, largely because I've been living abroad for a few years and BOY have I missed it! For the record, there's nothing remotely like MSE in Ireland and if I was much cleverer I would have loved to have started something similar.

The reason I'm rejoining the MSE clan is because in 12 weeks time (82 days to be exact) I'm moving back to Devon And while I'm really excited, I'm also extremely nervous to be starting over. I run a successful business here in Ireland that I'm hoping to bring over (but realistically it'll take at least 12 months to get to the same level - I'm a wedding singer if anyone needs one ), and the thought of being a 30-something who is going back to live with her mother is nauseating...

Financially I have no savings and £1700 on a credit card - I've put all my money into my business, so the plan is to save as much money as I possibly can before I move. I have a lot of work coming up but my day job is also self-employed so budgeting can be difficult while I wait for invoices to be paid.

I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings so I'm on the hunt for a temp morning or night time job for the next few months, but I'm also looking online for ways to earn a bit extra. I still have my UK bank account so I'm looking at doing the gambling websites using Top Cashback (I hate gambling so stopping after the minimum bet to get the cash back won't be an issue), and I write a bit in my spare time so I might try some of the task-based websites too.

Well, I think that's it for now. Wish me luck!
    Moved back to the UK 05/01/18
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
Page 14
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 26th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Oh Lordy, I'm making my list for next week... These are the expenses I have to cover off the top of my head:

- my friend's baby shower accessories
    - union membership (this includes my Public Liability insurance)
    - car insurance if tax comes through
    - a few more office clothes
    - flyers, business cards and banners for business
    - a few things that have to get dry cleaned
    - any wedding fairs I book in once I've got my work schedule

I've still got some final payments from Ireland coming in next week but I'll have to dip into my CC which doesn't thrill me.... just need to make sure it's paid off in full when I get paid!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 26th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    MeenaM
    aghhh i feel for you if you have to use your card , but if needs must then it cant be avoided and hope you can repay it quick if that happens

ive also got some expenses this month and next just hope i can stick to the budget
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/4458.95- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 4013.20AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £360/£1000
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 27th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    aghhh i feel for you if you have to use your card , but if needs must then it cant be avoided and hope you can repay it quick if that happens

ive also got some expenses this month and next just hope i can stick to the budget
    Originally posted by MeenaM
    Yeah, I paid it off knowing I'd have to use it this month for work stuff, still makes me nervous though! It'll be paid off again by end of February. Building an emergency/ rainy day fund is top priority!

Good luck with the budget! Keep going xx
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 28th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Wow, what a fun week! So many friends, so much food and wine and tea and I've fallen madly in lovely with Liverpool!

On to the madness that is next week:

- Call about 250 nursing homes
    - Come up with financial plan for the year
    - Send off Irish toll machine
    - Sort out friend's baby shower and buy all the decorations
    - Rearrange doctor appointment
    - Much needed haircut
    - Dentist
    - Find therapist
    - Sort out schedule for year
    - Register to vote
    - Sort Equity union membership
    - Contact wedding fairs
    - Sort car insurance (if tax comes through this week)
    - Go through all clothes and buy anything else I need
    - Design and order flyers, business cards and banner for business
    - PAY FOR WEBSITE (this has been on the list far too long)
    - Post a lot more on Social Media business pages
    - Take dry cleaning clothes to dry cleaners

I also have a massage booked in for next Friday - I've got a feeling I'll need it!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 28th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Busy week LadyMay.

Have you a start date for your new job?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 o/s £34,400
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £124.36/£2,500
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 29th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Busy week LadyMay.

Have you a start date for your new job?
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    I start training a week today and go straight on board for a week. Not sure of my proper rotation yet because they've moved things around so I can have my friend's baby shower off on the 25th Feb. Hoping to get my schedule this week so I can start making a plan for the business
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 29th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    To do today:

- Rearrange doctor
    - Volunteer meeting
    - Find cafe in Taunton for brunch tomorrow (meeting a Bristol friend half way )
    - Sort all details for baby shower
    - Order baby shower decorations
    - Go through wardrobe and make list of what I have left to get for work
    - Hair cut
    - Call potential clients and send over info
    - Register to vote
    - Order parking permit for February
    - Update finances
    - Gym / run with dog
    - Shopping for me and Mum

I weighed myself this morning and I've put on 2lb in the three weeks I've been home, not too bad considering my diet of late definitely time to lay off the chocolate and wine though!!
    Last edited by ladymay; 29-01-2018 at 9:29 AM.
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 29th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    - Rearrange doctor Done
    - Volunteer meeting Done
    - Find cafe in Taunton for brunch tomorrow (meeting a Bristol friend half way ) Done
    - Sort all details for baby shower Ongoing
    - Order baby shower decorations Done
    - Go through wardrobe and make list of what I have left to get for work Done
    - Hair cut This evening
    - Call potential clients and send over info Ah, come on LM - get it together!
    - Register to vote Done
    - Order parking permit for February Waiting for invoices to get paid
    - Update finances Done
    - Gym / run with dog To do
    - Shopping for me and Mum To do

I have also taken the website live! A few bits and bobs to get amended but it's DONE but I'm getting so annoyed with this refusal of mine to cold call potential new clients - I never get a negative response so I have no reason or excuse, other than it's my least favourite task within the business; I just need to eat my sprouts and crack on with it

I think when I get back from the hairdresser tonight I'm going to go over my finances from last year and come up with my saving plan...
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Bumpity bumped
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 8th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I'm so glad your old diary is back too! Hopefully yours can be merged too.
    Debt free by Christmas 2018 #004: 2419.69/7445.69
    £2018 in 2018 #25: 210.41/2018
    SPC 586
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 11,268 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Let me know if you would like me to merge your old and new diaries ladymay. Good that another one retrieved.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 11th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Let me know if you would like me to merge your old and new diaries ladymay. Good that another one retrieved.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Oooo yes please! First time on here all week and I'm as happy as a clam!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 11th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    MeenaM
    i'm officially confused now lol but great its back
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/4458.95- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 4013.20AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £360/£1000
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 14th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    i'm officially confused now lol but great its back
    Originally posted by MeenaM
    You and me both!!

In Portsmouth for a few hours, time to send off some invoices for work next week and do a survey or two. Total spent so far this week is £7 - the joys of working on ship!

I'm really enjoying the job and learning a lot, not only directly linked to my role onboard but because I'm looking after all the entertainment, I'm picking up lots of tips and looking at putting together a cabaret act myself

Two days left of my first stint and looking forward to getting back home for a few gigs and some r and r!
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Good to hear from you and great to hear things are going so well for you
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Pleased it's going well for you. Exciting times ahead.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 o/s £34,400
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £124.36/£2,500
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Back in the shire! I'm clean and fed, laundry is on and once I've got my to do list done for tomorrow and next week I'm going to relaaaaaaax for the night - I've got two episodes of Star Trek to watch
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 7,033 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Original Series, TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Enterprise... the geek in me needs to know
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Feb 18, 10:35 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Thanks Uncanny and WTMA - it's a huge relief to know I've taken a bit of financial pressure off while still enjoying my professional life. It was a leap of faith to step away from full time singing but I'm glad I did it!

The car tax is finally sorted so next step is to sort out the insurance. Initial quotes are looking at around the £750 mark I'm expecting about £850 and !!!8364;315 to come in by the end of the month but I've still got to get my union membership (for my PLI) and Mum's birthday present to sort out, not to mention having to spend out for new number plates, car service and fixing my car keys, so lots of discipline needed!

My living situation is looking a little fraught atm - Mum's arthritis has worsened to the point that she can probably register as disabled (to be confirmed on Monday). If that happens she can go down to 16 hours a week in her job and get all the benefits she's entitled to, but I'm pretty sure that means she'll be moving to a one-bed flat. She's only 51 and it's breaking my heart how much pain she's in...

Plans for tomorrow (oof):

- See cousin and her little girl (espected spend about £4)
    - Pick up dry cleaning (£16.50 to be paid)
    - Bits and bobs shop (max £5)
    - Take pics of a few clothing items I want to see and pop them on my local buy/sell/swap page
    - Tidy flat
    - Sort set lists for Sunday and Mon/Tues
    - Look at second hand ovens for Mum's present (not very exciting, but much needed if she stays in this flat!!)
    - Social media
    - Sort out gift for my friend's baby shower
    - Car insurance (approx a gazillion pounds...)
    - Order numberplates
    - Update finances
    - Watch as much of the Winter Olympics as I can!

Up and at 'em, boys!
    Last edited by ladymay; 17-02-2018 at 8:46 AM.
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 16th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    ladymay
    Original Series, TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Enterprise... the geek in me needs to know
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Discovery, the new one on Netflix; I'm really enjoying it. And as much as much as I know TNG is the best, I have a real soft spot for the rubbish that is Enterprise
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,292Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter