Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bestyman
    • By bestyman 14th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,094Posts
    • 401Thanks
    bestyman
    0 WOW
    Buying an iphone in Hong Kong
    • 14th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Buying an iphone in Hong Kong 14th Oct 17 at 7:20 PM
    We will be going to Hong Kong and Bangkok in December.

An iphone X is £200 cheaper in Hong Kong than UK, not sure of Thai price yet.

Are there any problems with buying one abroad? It would be from an official Apple store so assuming any returns can be done in the UK store?

What about VAT? Can I claim back the VAT in HK? Do I pay VAT on entry to UK?

Thanks
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
Page 2
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 18th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    malkie76
    Thank you for conceding my point by not directly answering my very simple question.
    Legal team on standby
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th Oct 17, 5:35 AM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Thank you for conceding my point by not directly answering my very simple question.
    Originally posted by malkie76
    I have, yo don't appear able to understand the world world, I'll leave you to it.

Oh, and voluntary payment of national insurance is anther example.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 20th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    stoneman

Nevertheless this website tends to take a dim view on methods of tax evasion.
    Funny that, but it positively encourages people to use every loophole available when it comes to shopping.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 21st Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    uknick
    OP

Probably won't be an issue buying in Hong Kong, but you might want to check which apps come installed on the phone. For example, Facetime is not on iPhones sourced from many middle eastern countries. And, it can't be installed later.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 9,614 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I have, yo don't appear able to understand the world world, I'll leave you to it.

Oh, and voluntary payment of national insurance is anther example.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    What does that have to do with tax that is legally owed?
    The clue is in the word "voluntary".
    I'm not legally required to pay NI as I'm currently non resident in the UK but I have opted to pay in order to ensure that my state pension will be paid out in full when I retire. (assuming that the UK hasn't gone bankrupt before then).
    Taxes, whether income tax, fuel tax or VAT, if owed are not voluntary.

Nevertheless this website tends to take a dim view on methods of tax evasion.
    Funny that, but it positively encourages people to use every loophole available when it comes to shopping.
    Originally posted by stoneman
    If those loopholes are legal, what's wrong with advising or encouraging people to take advantage of them?
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 22nd Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    malkie76
    Loopholes (avoidance) are legal, tax evasion is not. That was the point I was making.
    Legal team on standby
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 22nd Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    stoneman

If those loopholes are legal, what's wrong with advising or encouraging people to take advantage of them?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Because some of the loopholes advised on this site are near to being fraudulant, which is illegal, and not in the spirit of things to boot.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 9,614 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Because some of the loopholes advised on this site are near to being fraudulant, which is illegal, and not in the spirit of things to boot.
    Originally posted by stoneman
    Well, if a loophole is "near to being fraudulent", this must mean that it is not actually fraudulent, hence that loophole is probably perfectly legal.

As to the spirit of things.
    Provided that taxes are saved in accordance with the law, "the spirit" (or morality) shouldn't factor into money saving.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 23rd Oct 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    stoneman
    Well, if a loophole is "near to being fraudulent", this must mean that it is not actually fraudulent, hence that loophole is probably perfectly legal.

As to the spirit of things.
    Provided that taxes are saved in accordance with the law, "the spirit" (or morality) shouldn't factor into money saving.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Sorry I should have said "are fraudulent" not near to.

Using multiple email addresses and being encouraged to make up family members to maximise a loophole is fraud, hence illegal.

I have done it in the past and I would bet that the majority on this site have done the same. So I'm not painting myself as virtuous but the hypocrisy that goes on is astounding.

But that dissuasion is for another time
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 25th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 7,955 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    But certainly not avoidance.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Not declaring a personal import that is above the threshold is evasion. No shades of grey, no interpretation, it is evasion.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • bestyman
    • By bestyman 6th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    bestyman
    Back from Hong Kong and Thailand Holiday so thought would let you know how it went on and in case anyone else is thinking of buying there .
    We went to Apple shop in HK and they said you need to reserve on the morning, try 8 am and only a few a day. They are £700- £750 there.

At 8 we were up anyhow (jet lag) and had iphones and ipads set up ready to log on and buy.

We managed to reserve one and were very happy but think we were counting the chickens too soon.
    Next question was please enter HK mobile number within 30 minutes. We were using Three UK which was no good. I ran to reception in my PJs trying to explain to the receptionist that could I borrow his phone. He didn't speak good English ( or so he said).

The following day we bought a HK PAYG SIM, logged on to Apple shop again and this time didn't get through to reserve one.

Following day we fly early to Bangkok so gave it us as a bad job. In Thailand only £70 cheaper than UK so didn't bother
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 6th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 290,741 Thanks
    DUKE
    We bought an iPad very cheap online from China some years back, the only problems we had was waiting 6 weeks for delivery, & it was all in Chinese when it came. So we took it to the Apple Store who happily (no pun intended) sorted it out for us.
    Thanks everyone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

7,322Users online

Martin's Twitter