Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 13th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 929Posts
    • 8,346Thanks
    • 13th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    Redundancy 13th Oct 17 at 5:52 PM
    I have to be careful what I say, so if things don't seem clear that's why.
    My husband will be officially out of work 4.30pm 31st October.
    It will be the first time in his adult life (he's 52) that he's not worked for this company or not worked at all!
    I'm a carer for our son, he's just started school but life is tough for him (and subsequently me).
    We will have to survive until hubby gets a job and if he hasn't by Jan I shall also have to start looking to go back to work somehow.
    In the meantime we are going to be trying to live as tight as possible.
    As we've been in 3 months consultation we knew this was coming. We have no debt (apart from mortgage) and our sons birthday and Christmas are sorted. We concluded other people's Christmas and birthday gifts didn't matter as long as he was taken care of.
    I'd really like to have some place to talk to people who understand and keep a log of how I'm doing - a bit like a diary.
    Our lives we try to keep quite old style naturally so it will fall in line with this board.
    I hope it's ok to do that, perhaps anyone else going through something similar would like to join me in frugal living challenge for a while?

On the plus side hubby does have interviews lined up. So I'm hoping we won't be in a state of panic for too long. But who knows.

If this isn't allowed please let me know and delete.

IVA entered Dec 2010. It's been a long hard road but we FINALLY made it! IVA COMPLETE Dec 2016!!!!
Page 5
    • jk0
    • By jk0 30th Dec 17, 12:03 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 24,422 Thanks
    Sorry to hear that hon.

Has hubby signed on? (Might be best not to mention turning that job down, as they are funny about that.)
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 30th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,111 Posts
    • 7,704 Thanks
    That's a shame, hopefully the new year will change the situation, just gotta roll with the punches sometimes.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 30th Dec 17, 9:03 AM
    • 7,945 Posts
    • 27,957 Thanks
    I am very disappointed for you that things have turned out this way. I hope that something else will soon turn up.
    Meanwhile, I can only encourage you to support each other as much as possible in the difficult situation you are facing. It's important to pull together at times like this.
    May 2018 turn out better for you. Many of us have already walked a similar path at a time in our lives and know how it feels.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 30th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Well Hello everyone! I hope youíve all have a love filled Christmas!

I have come back on to give you an update and Iím afraid it is not good news

The job situation for hubby has been really bad, it really is too much to go into and i wish Iíd updated earlier than this.
    But basically he was supposed to start on 8th January but because of so many issues (too many to go into publicly or in one post) we have made the decision to turn the position down and neither of us has anything else to go to.
    We have sought advice from various different people and places and are assured it is a sensible option given everything thatís been going on. However itís also terribly scary going into the new year with no income!
    Thankfully we do have redundancy money left. So we wont be totally flat broke yet.
    I will be coming on again and again to share more and update, i just wanted to drop by and give an update and wish everyone a happy and healthy new year.
    Originally posted by chirpychick
    Iím so sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that it is just a blip and something better comes along soon.

On our own redundancy-front, my DH found work at the Royal Mail for December, working in a depot. It was minimum wage and absolutely knackering, but he was happy to be doing something. Meanwhile, heíd applied for three really good jobs in his field and, when he followed up, was told that all had had their funding pulled, to be reviewed in January!

As for me, I reckon Iíve got two months work left for my current contract. Iíve lost count of the permanent jobs for which Iíve applied in 2017 but, beyond meeting with agencies, I can count the real interviews Iíve had on my hands with fingers left over (and that includes the most hostile second interview ever). Still, from a starting point of zero 15 months ago, my company bank account has two months salary/tax/pension contributions saved in it. Iím well aware that being a contractor is just the white-collar version of being a zero-hours employee, with the benefit of a paid notice period. I also know that I can manage quite well on a pay cut, because I donít pay myself nearly as much as I used to earn, I can cover all the bills AND Iím still saving money.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 5th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    Hello, another update!
    Hubby turned the role down officially, there was a bit of crossed words with the agency but i penned them a letter (on his behalf) detailing the issues that had arisen and they phoned him a day later with a massive apology. Explaining the company had delved into the issues and they could see where the problems had occurred, they asked if there was anything they could do to change his mind but he said no.
    He has had telephone interviews and face to face interviews everyday. One of which was Wednesday and I knew he had fallen in love with the place and the people, he was thrilled this morning to be offered the position. (And it was 2 minutes before heading into another interview lol). I know he is going to accept the job.
    It is a 40 minute commute from home, not too much of a bad journey.
    He finishes early on a friday. But it is substantially (to us at least) less money. (5k less per year, less pension and other benefits). However, having said that with a little more time spent on MSE I!!!8217;m fairly confident we will manage fine.

To say the last few months have been a roller coaster is an understatement!
    IVA entered Dec 2010. It's been a long hard road but we FINALLY made it! IVA COMPLETE Dec 2016!!!!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 5th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 7,945 Posts
    • 27,957 Thanks
    That is good news after your earlier disappointment. You sometimes have to balance the pros and cons in these situations but if you can manage on a lower salary that is a far better option than trying to manage with no income coming in at all. Hopefully there may be opportunities for salary increases or a promotion in the future.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 6th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    Hi Chirpy

What a great way to start the New Year. Congratulations to your DH on getting the job. It's great if you can get a good vibe when going for interviews, so that's good that it's all worked out. Onwards and upwards. As Primrose says, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and who knows, promotion may be a consideration in the future. Go celebrate, albeit MSE style of course
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,979Posts Today

7,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @BradsMrs: Thanks @MartinSLewis for your oh so helpful advice on your website about re-claimjng PPI. Just received a cheque for £1700 ????#?

• RT @XenaBombina: @MartinSLewis Thank you so much for the SWI advice on This Morning today. I have been in a state of near-debilitating anxi?

• Wow miracles do happen. I've done a political twitter poll today and (so far) no one has attacked me after confusi?

• Follow Martin