Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claire_lou
    • By Claire_lou 12th Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Claire_lou
    How much could I borrow/deposit?
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    How much could I borrow/deposit? 12th Oct 17 at 10:45 PM
    I am shortly going to be starting a new role within my company with a salary of £25k

I was just wondering what I could typically look at borrowing in terms of mortgage? The only debt I have is a 4K car loan (which I could pay off but was toying with the idea of using the money I have as a deposit perhaps for a mortgage)

The other question is are most companies still looking at least 5% deposit ?
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    There is numerous factors influencing how much someone can borrow, including expenditure, debt, term, so on and so forth, and there can be big differences depending on the lenders you approach. However, as a guideline is the maximum you can borrow is around 4.5x your salary, so this would be around £112,500 on your current salary. You could play around with calculators on various lenders websites to obtain an idea as to what they could offer.

Yes you will need at least a 5% deposit to put down.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Oct 17, 6:16 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:16 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:16 AM
    Don't forget money for solicitors, surveyor's, mortgage fees e.t.c
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin