Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Optimisticowl
    • By Optimisticowl 12th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Optimisticowl
    NCP - 21 mins over - photo evidence
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    NCP - 21 mins over - photo evidence 12th Oct 17 at 10:29 PM
    Hi all,

I've just spent hours reading old threads (and the 'Newbies; thread) on here and have confused myself somewhat, so thought I'd try posting to see if I can get appropriate advice.

I recently received a letter addressed to me from NPC saying that I'd parked longer than the time paid for. The letter has photos of my car entering and leaving with times showing that I'd stayed for 2 hours and 21 minutes.
    I had paid for 2 hours using a mobile phone App (RingGo)

The reason for going over the time was that I was attending a meeting, which over-ran, and although I received a text alerting me to the fact my parking was due to expire, I'd had to switch my phone off during the meeting.

The fine is for £100, or £60 if paid within 14 days (that has now expired) and I'm just looking for some advice. Initially I was just going to ignore it, then I cracked and thought I'd grudgingly pay the £60, but after realising that the 14 days had expired I couldn't bring myself to pay £100 for 21 minutes of parking.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 16,902 Posts
    • 21,011 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    its an invoice , or PCN , not a "fine"

the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread gives you advice on appealing it

the circumstances surrounding this issue are irrelevant and wont be taken into consideration by the PPC or anyone else

the "overstay" may fall into the realms of GRACE PERIODS , plus there may be other reasons why an appeal may win

please read the NEWBIES thread and decide what to do
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Optimisticowl
    • By Optimisticowl 12th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Optimisticowl
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    Thank you,

I'll pour myself a drink then try again to read the newbies thread.
    Does it make any difference that I paid via an App and/or that the 'invoice was addressed directly me? I.e. they have my personal details.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 16,902 Posts
    • 21,011 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:47 PM
    not if they are accusing the person who paid of underpayment

they would argue that if that person had paid for 3 or 4 or 5 hours there would not be an issue

they would argue that the contract states that sufficient time should be purchased from the outset , or that they be contacted to "top up" the contract

excuses do not win these claims , legal arguments do

ps:- anybody could have paid via the app, that person who paid might not drive, might not own a license to drive , nor be a driver , it could be their mum paying on their behalf for example
    Last edited by Redx; 12-10-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 13th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 13th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    You are perfectly correct in most peoples opinion that a £100 charge for 21 minutes is ridiculous.

However you had the chance to pay more as Redx says, it matters nothing how you paid, or if they had your address (though it's Ringo who had that not NCP who only had the VRN in a data base).
    I'm sure your meeting was important, but you had a choice, pay more up front just in case, or ask for two minute break to top up.

You should follow the newbies thread, appeal, lose, and try to win at POPLA with grace periods signage etc., don't whatever you do mention being late back or any other lame excuse though.

If you lose at POLPA you still don't have to pay up, you will get inundated with pointless debt recovery letters which are ignorable.

NCP may try a punt at court, but here are your odds with that:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/National_Car_Parks.html
    Last edited by fisherjim; 13-10-2017 at 8:59 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter