Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 12th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 3,932Posts
    • 4,003Thanks
    sillygoose
    Help! ebay 1st sale
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    Help! ebay 1st sale 12th Oct 17 at 9:06 PM
    Hi

I just made my first sale. Do I need to anything? awaiting payment, there is a send invoice button.. do I need to do this to progress things?

Thanks
Page 1
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 3,759 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    You can send an invoice, but they should have already received notification of how much. Just wait for payment. You need to send it to the address given when they pay. You also should think about sending it tracked. Just remember you are responsible for the item until the buyer receives it and is happy with it. Should it get lost or damaged during transit, you'd most likely have to refund. Therefore you should bear this in mind when sending it.
    • kokolino23
    • By kokolino23 12th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    kokolino23
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    Fleabay will send you an invoice, don't worry. They will also take the payment from your account, assuming you've got one linked on fleabay.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 12th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    You can send an invoice, but they should have already received notification of how much. Just wait for payment. You need to send it to the address given when they pay. You also should think about sending it tracked. Just remember you are responsible for the item until the buyer receives it and is happy with it. Should it get lost or damaged during transit, you'd most likely have to refund. Therefore you should bear this in mind when sending it.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Many thanks! when you say 'tracked', my item is letter sized - is Royal Mail signed for adequate to protect me with Ebay?

Thanks again, its quite exciting your first time!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 59,270 Posts
    • 42,010 Thanks
    soolin
    Fleabay will send you an invoice, don't worry. They will also take the payment from your account, assuming you've got one linked on fleabay.
    Originally posted by kokolino23
    OP is the seller so won't be receiving an invoice. Also, what do you mean about eBay taking payment from your account? Buyers have to actively pay, but there is a handy 'pay now' button on the invoice.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 59,270 Posts
    • 42,010 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    Many thanks! when you say 'tracked', my item is letter sized - is Royal Mail signed for adequate to protect me with Ebay?

Thanks again, its quite exciting your first time!
    Originally posted by sillygoose
    Have a read of the sticky postage thread , personally I don't use signed for unless the value of the item requires it, but it is all explained in that thread.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 12th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    Have a read of the sticky postage thread , personally I don't use signed for unless the value of the item requires it, but it is all explained in that thread.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks, that was a useful read, especially the paypal validation information as they have paid now. Off to the post office tomorrow.

Cheers.

Now to get some more stuff online!
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 13th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    Maybe read ebay's help pages for new sellers? There is masses of info - some of it is even quite helpful!
    • Ineedaservant
    • By Ineedaservant 13th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Ineedaservant
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    To invoice or not to invoice? I always look at the buyers 'star' rating. If lower than 20 I invoice, if higher I don't bother as they should have got the hang of buying by then.
    I will not be happy until all the money is mine
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thanks, that was a useful read, especially the paypal validation information as they have paid now. Off to the post office tomorrow.

Cheers.

Now to get some more stuff online!
    Glad you found it helpful

If you are happy to send it with a proof of postage (pop), that will cover you for £20 if you are sending standard RM 1st or 2nd class. Keep hold of the pop for 6 months.

Well done on your first sale.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 13th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Glad you found it helpful

If you are happy to send it with a proof of postage (pop), that will cover you for £20 if you are sending standard RM 1st or 2nd class. Keep hold of the pop for 6 months.

Well done on your first sale.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Thank you. I used to sell some stuff many, many years ago. Not going into business but Ebay is still the best way to get rid of some more unusual things that are hard to value.

I have for example some fairly big pieces of luxury jacquard material that I might try to list but its heavy to ship and hard to value.

I posted recorded for my piece of mind so I know it gets there.

I don't know how anyone makes any real money by the time Ebay and Paypal take 13%!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 59,270 Posts
    • 42,010 Thanks
    soolin
    Thank you. I used to sell some stuff many, many years ago. Not going into business but Ebay is still the best way to get rid of some more unusual things that are hard to value.

I have for example some fairly big pieces of luxury jacquard material that I might try to list but its heavy to ship and hard to value.

I posted recorded for my piece of mind so I know it gets there.

I don't know how anyone makes any real money by the time Ebay and Paypal take 13%!
    There is definitely money to be made if you are a business, I've just had a bit of a result with something I picked up at an auction and which might be worth a huge amount more than I paid.

For normal household type things though have a look at Shpock, I'm having quite a bit of success on there at the moment and it's so easy to use and has no fees at all at present.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 13th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    sillygoose
    There is definitely money to be made if you are a business, I've just had a bit of a result with something I picked up at an auction and which might be worth a huge amount more than I paid.

For normal household type things though have a look at Shpock, I'm having quite a bit of success on there at the moment and it's so easy to use and has no fees at all at present.
    I thought that one was all about fencing stolen stuff in the corner of dark car parks away from the CCTV for cash in hand!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 59,270 Posts
    • 42,010 Thanks
    soolin
    I thought that one was all about fencing stolen stuff in the corner of dark car parks away from the CCTV for cash in hand!
    Gosh, maybe it is and I'm just being my usual naïve self

I tend to go for just ordinary stuff though, the sort of thing to bulky or too cheap for ebay. I still post quite a bit accepting paypal for payment, but nearly half is just collected by ordinary looking people- quite often dealers or car booters for cash.

I do know of someone who spends the week buying really cheap things, collectables, very small pieces of furniture, decorative items etc, collects it all Thursday and Friday evenings and then car boots it all for a decent profit on a Sunday - I know her because she bought from me and we got chatting and she told me her intentions- I've sold quite a bit to her over the past few months.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 13th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Gosh, maybe it is and I'm just being my usual naïve self

I tend to go for just ordinary stuff though, the sort of thing to bulky or too cheap for ebay. I still post quite a bit accepting paypal for payment, but nearly half is just collected by ordinary looking people- quite often dealers or car booters for cash.

I do know of someone who spends the week buying really cheap things, collectables, very small pieces of furniture, decorative items etc, collects it all Thursday and Friday evenings and then car boots it all for a decent profit on a Sunday - I know her because she bought from me and we got chatting and she told me her intentions- I've sold quite a bit to her over the past few months.
    you probably just live in a posher area
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 25,866 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    soolin doesn't need to worry about that, the Butler and maid do the dirty work.

Just point and crack the whip and off they scurry
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin