Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APB2605
    • By APB2605 12th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    APB2605
    Neighbours Leaking Washing Machine
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    Neighbours Leaking Washing Machine 12th Oct 17 at 8:50 PM
    On Monday evening water started coming through our bedroom ceiling from the washing machine in the flat upstairs. The water fell on our TV, DVD and PS3.

The flat upstairs is rented, the landlord of the flat says it is down to his tenant and her insurance. The tenant does not have any insurance in place? The leak was from inside the washing machine, and the washing machine was provided with the flat.

My understanding is water leaks/ flooding should come under buildings insurance which should be held by the landlord. I have also been told by someone that if the tenant was not aware of the leak and could do nothing to prevent it then it is also the landlords responsibility?

At the moment we are unable to get an assesment from either persons insurance. Can anybody tell me definately who is respopnsible and my next course of action please?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 31,747 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    Claim on your insurance and use your insurers legal protection team to sort it out
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • APB2605
    • By APB2605 13th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    APB2605
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    Our own insurers seem sceptical of being able to aportion blame and therefore unsure of being able to recover our excess.
    Our excess is £500, the replacement value of the damaged goods amounts to £550.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    On Monday evening water started coming through our bedroom ceiling from the washing machine in the flat upstairs. The water fell on our TV, DVD and PS3.

The flat upstairs is rented, the landlord of the flat says it is down to his tenant and her insurance. The tenant does not have any insurance in place? The leak was from inside the washing machine, and the washing machine was provided with the flat.

My understanding is water leaks/ flooding should come under buildings insurance which should be held by the landlord. I have also been told by someone that if the tenant was not aware of the leak and could do nothing to prevent it then it is also the landlords responsibility?

At the moment we are unable to get an assesment from either persons insurance. Can anybody tell me definately who is respopnsible and my next course of action please?

Thank you
    Originally posted by APB2605

Well first thing first, what is the value of the items to be replaced?

I'd suggest your claim is against the LL, if he then wants to pursue the tenant that's up to him. BUT it may not even be worth claiming given that PS3 is about £25, DVD player £15 and TV £60-70? I mean it's £100-130 in total
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Comms69
    Our own insurers seem sceptical of being able to aportion blame and therefore unsure of being able to recover our excess.
    Our excess is £500, the replacement value of the damaged goods amounts to £550.

For a PS3, DVD and TV? Not a chance!
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 13th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    This is not meant to be harsh but you chose the £500 excess, if your excess on contents was £100 you would be ok, or nearly ok.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 5,934 Posts
    • 5,691 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    Our own insurers seem sceptical of being able to aportion blame
    Well, do you think you could do a better job? Has anybody upstairs been negligent? If not then it's the risk of choosing to live underneath someone else.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 13th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Typically the buildings insurance pays if it's escape of water from a pipe but the owner of the flat is liable if it's escape of water from an appliance. From what you've said it sounds like your landlord is liable is it's his property (both the flat and the appliance).
    The Lottery, with its weekly pay-out of enormous prizes, was the one public event to which the proles paid serious attention. It was probable that there were some millions of proles for whom the Lottery was the principal if not the only reason for remaining alive.
    • Marcus-H
    • By Marcus-H 13th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Marcus-H
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    for such a small amount (to them), you can see why your insurance do not want to know. Think you should speak to Citizen Advice, as it sounds like you dont have much chance getting insurance details out of the landlord without a legal fight!
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 13th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    Unless the landlord has been negligent then I don't see he has any legal responsibility for the leak - this is what the OP has insurance to cover! You can argue the toss whether LL or tenant have any moral responsibility but that won't help OP get any money back unless LL/tenant feel particularly generous.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 13th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    Unless the landlord has been negligent then I don't see he has any legal responsibility for the leak - this is what the OP has insurance to cover! You can argue the toss whether LL or tenant have any moral responsibility but that won't help OP get any money back unless LL/tenant feel particularly generous.
    Originally posted by TrickyDicky101
    This. I think this is the third thread I've seen in the last couple of weeks about this. If you Google you should find several articles which state that unless you can show an element of negligence you will be hard pushed to make the other party liable.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 13th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    chappers
    This. I think this is the third thread I've seen in the last couple of weeks about this. If you Google you should find several articles which state that unless you can show an element of negligence you will be hard pushed to make the other party liable.
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    Yep that is what your insurance is for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin