Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 12th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    Tax Credits Overpayment first £8k then £5k then £7?
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    Tax Credits Overpayment first £8k then £5k then £7? 12th Oct 17 at 8:12 PM
    I received a letter in 2013 from tax credits saying that I owed them 8k for an overpayment from the previous year :/ I rang them to ask where it has come from and they said they had been paying me for two different childcare providers even though I only had one child in childcare and had given tax credits my childcare providers details and given them all of the information I had been asked for. It was their mistake as I have no idea where this second childcare provider had come from nor did I receive £8k and my bank statements showed that but they wasn't bothered.

I stupidly and angrily ignored it and left it at that to then receive the same letter a few months later but this time for £5k. I rang them again and said that my bank statements show I did not receive any overpayment and that I had given the correct information. Again I ignored them.

I then received a third letter saying that I owed £7k do they even know the actual totals or do they just make them up? I told them that I wanted to dispute it but I didn't know where to start and so shortly afterwards payments of £50 each were taken from both mine and my ex partners wages in deductions for this.

Has anyone else received tax credits overpayments in this way? I really didn't have any overpayments as I was just paid what I was due so I have no idea where they have got this from.

The differing figures makes me believe they just send these letters out as they please.

Is there any way to sort this out now? Is it too late? I just feel utterly lost with it as they just wouldn't listen to me.

Thank you for your help x
    Total Debt: £5105.23
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 12th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    You’ll be out of time for any disputes or appeal options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter