Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 4,496Posts
    • 6,068Thanks
    74jax
    Verbally given wrong price, can i hold them to it?
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    Verbally given wrong price, can i hold them to it? 12th Oct 17 at 7:52 PM
    I popped into a gym near work tonight who have been refurbished. Was shown round and informed I could join for a discount for October and £24 a month. I asked if that was contract (my current gym is none contact) and he said no. I could sigh up for 12 months if I wanted but didn't have too.

Because I was a new member I could have some free PT sessions too.

I asked what the incentive was to join on a contract and he said there wasn't one at the moment but would be in future.

So I signed up, paid for October and £24 will be taken on a non contract basis. I need to give 1 months notice to cancel. And my PT sessions are in the process of being booked.

Back home and it should have been £29 a month on none contract and just £24 on contract.

Is there anything I can do to keep it at £24 on none contract or do I just suck it up and pay the £29 to get the PT sessions?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 12th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    Who has said it should have been £29? How did you sign up, did the paperwork say anything?

The problem you have is that a monthly contract works both ways, they can give you thirty days notice of cancellation, or price change. They may well allow you to have this month for £24, but now they have given you notice, next month will be the higher price.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    74jax
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    Who has said it should have been £29? How did you sign up, did the paperwork say anything?

The problem you have is that a monthly contract works both ways, they can give you thirty days notice of cancellation, or price change. They may well allow you to have this month for £24, but now they have given you notice, next month will be the higher price.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    There was no contract, paperwork. I spoke to the guy face2face, he entered my details on the computer as I spoke to him. He took my bank details, then I received a message saying X taken for this month and £24 on the first of each month and I can cancel with 1 month notice.

Now informed it was an error and should be £29 with no contract or £24 with contract.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 11,416 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    Having it in writing (even a message) is good but I think ultimately its going to be a moot point.

Typically once a contract is agreed (offer + acceptance = agreed contract), it is legally binding on both parties and neither can vary the agreement without the others consent.

However the issue you have is that you're only on a 30 day rolling contract with no minimum term. Meaning that your contract only lasts for 30 days at a time and you're free to negotiate different terms for any period beyond that 30 days you've already agreed to.

Meaning that while they shouldn't try to increase the price for the current 30 days, they can increase the price for any period after that 30 days.

FWIW £5 difference a month works out at 2 free months a year. If you're a regular gym bod (and not just possibly on a fad that you might give up after a few months), go for the contract option.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin