Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lanter0909
    • By lanter0909 12th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lanter0909
    Argos iPhone Return
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    Argos iPhone Return 12th Oct 17 at 7:30 PM
    Hello everyone.

Today I reserved and purchased an iPhone 6s for £449. I meant to purchase the iPhone 6s Plus model but must have mis-read the information on the screen.

I realised something wasn't right when I opened the box and saw that the phone was considerably smaller than the Plus model. I returned to the store 5 minutes later and explained the error.

They advised me that simply because I had broken the cellophane wrap the box was in, the phone was no longer in a re-sellable condition, and they would not be providing me with a refund.

Apple themselves are happy to take returns and issue refunds for phones that have been not only opened, but operated, for 15 days after purchase. And I have been informed by their customer service teams that they would indeed accept a return from Argos.

I'm fairly determined that I have not just wasted £449 - and their returns policy seems alien and harsh, and wasn't advertised in the slightest at the point of purchase.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I had a leg to stand on in regards to getting a refund - especially as I plan to spend £549 immediately after at their store on a more expensive model.

Kind Regards,
    Patrick
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    change of mind refunds are at shops discretion, you have no rights, terms are clear on argos website and receipt
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    and buy your iphone at an apple store, much better service and they give you a two year warranty (they have fell foul of EU rules before and therefore go overboard and just give two year warranty)
    Last edited by glentoran99; 12-10-2017 at 7:57 PM.
    • makemesumdosh
    • By makemesumdosh 12th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    makemesumdosh
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    Did you pay by credit card, you may be covered by section 75.

is website clear on showing model which you purchase by mistake
    • lanter0909
    • By lanter0909 12th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lanter0909
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    Yes, I normally do! I'm going away tomorrow and just wanted the phone quickly. Stupid of me.
    • lanter0909
    • By lanter0909 12th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lanter0909
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    Paid via visa debit. It was pretty clear, to be honest. I'd just had a long day at work
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    Wouldn't make any difference. It was neither miss-sold nor faulty or fraudulent. Merely a customer error.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    d123
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    Did you pay by credit card, you may be covered by section 75.

is website clear on showing model which you purchase by mistake
    Originally posted by makemesumdosh
    Out of interest, which part of sec 75 do you think covers a person buying the wrong item by accident?

Hello everyone.

Today I reserved and purchased an iPhone 6s for £449. I meant to purchase the iPhone 6s Plus model but must have mis-read the information on the screen.

I realised something wasn't right when I opened the box and saw that the phone was considerably smaller than the Plus model. I returned to the store 5 minutes later and explained the error.

They advised me that simply because I had broken the cellophane wrap the box was in, the phone was no longer in a re-sellable condition, and they would not be providing me with a refund.

Apple themselves are happy to take returns and issue refunds for phones that have been not only opened, but operated, for 15 days after purchase. And I have been informed by their customer service teams that they would indeed accept a return from Argos.

I'm fairly determined that I have not just wasted £449 - and their returns policy seems alien and harsh, and wasn't advertised in the slightest at the point of purchase.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether I had a leg to stand on in regards to getting a refund - especially as I plan to spend £549 immediately after at their store on a more expensive model.

Kind Regards,
    Patrick
    Originally posted by lanter0909

You have no rights to force a refund or exchange.

Go back and ask to see the manager, explain exactly what happened and tell him you want the 6s Plus and see if they will authorise a goodwill exchange.
    Last edited by d123; 12-10-2017 at 9:04 PM.
    ====
    • robti
    • By robti 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    robti
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    and buy your iphone at an apple store, much better service and they give you a two year warranty (they have fell foul of EU rules before and therefore go overboard and just give two year warranty)
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I just contacted Apple in regards to the warranty and was told that it was only 1 year if bought from them
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    d123
    I just contacted Apple in regards to the warranty and was told that it was only 1 year if bought from them
    Originally posted by robti
    It’s 1 year official warranty and 1 year of what they term “consumer law” warranty, however it’s called Apple will fix or replace an iPhone they have directly sold for 2 years.
    ====
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Originally posted by robti

I have it writing from Apple that they will replace a faulty iphone within a two year warranty, I have also had experience of them replacing after 18 months. As I say its because of the EU 2 year thing that they have fell foul of and they have gone overboard
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Oct 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Itís 1 year official warranty and 1 year of what they term ďconsumer lawĒ warranty, however itís called Apple will fix or replace an iPhone they have directly sold for 2 years.
    Originally posted by d123
    thank you, Couldn't think of the words
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Oct 17, 10:05 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    d123
    I have it writing from Apple that they will replace a faulty iphone within a two year warranty, I have also had experience of them replacing after 18 months. As I say its because of the EU 2 year thing that they have fell foul of and they have gone overboard
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Iíve also used it a few times, this is the most recent, (phone bought 25 Sept 2015 and replaced in the first week of September 2017).

====
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Oct 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    And Apple warranty covers a UK purchase elsewhere in Europe for 2 years, a friend took a UK Apple Store bought iPad to a Spanish Apple Store when it was around 18 months old, and had it replaced without any problem (or cost). The store staff said it was covered by an EU wide 2 year warranty. Iím not sure if the same applies to Apple products from Argos, CPW, etc.

BTW, iPhones from Argos used to lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, if thatís still the case it wonít help the OP with a potential exchange.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 7,707 Posts
    • 5,570 Thanks
    pmduk

BTW, iPhones from Argos used to lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, if thatís still the case it wonít help the OP with a potential exchange.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

I don't think the OP got as far as inserting the SIM.
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    d123

BTW, iPhones from Argos used to lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, if that’s still the case it won’t help the OP with a potential exchange.
    That is no longer the case, Argos sell normal unlocked iPhones now (as do CPW, at least on sim free sales).

From Argos:

This is a unlocked phone with no commitment to any network, you decide which sim card to use. Choose the most suitable plan, whether it's a contract or a pay-as-you-go. The sim is unlocked throughout the lifetime of the phone without restriction.
    ====
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    And Apple warranty covers a UK purchase elsewhere in Europe for 2 years, a friend took a UK Apple Store bought iPad to a Spanish Apple Store when it was around 18 months old, and had it replaced without any problem (or cost). The store staff said it was covered by an EU wide 2 year warranty. Iím not sure if the same applies to Apple products from Argos, CPW, etc.

Nope only when purchased direct from them
    • lanter0909
    • By lanter0909 13th Oct 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lanter0909
    Correct!

I've decided to just keep the phone. Not that I really had any other option...!

I thought I was fairly savvy, working in law enforcement with a law degree - but this is something that'll continue to baffle me for a good while. Learnt my lesson the hard way!! It's a disappointing policy - and everyone I have spoken to has thought it outrageous and really quite unusual.

Thanks for all your responses.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 13th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Not everyone. Not me.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,122 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    Lorian
    Are you sure you haven't be led in to thinking you were buying the plus model because the EAN code on the page of the one you bought is actually the EAN code for the plus?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter